Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmmo20

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2006
Hi,
My 9-month-old macbook air just died - I was able to boot of the internet recovery server and Disk Utility doesn't detect any ssd. Bugger!

Anyways, I'm OK because I just checked and the last time machine backup was like 50 minutes before the computer failed. So I shouldn't have lost any important data.

Few questions:

- This MBA has very little / light use, nothing disk-intensive. I´m quite surprised this has happened after 9 months. Last night I bought an iPhone 5C and I was sync'ing all my music and decided to select the option to convert to AAC so I could save some space. For about 1 hour the CPU went crazy busy re-coding my 10gb of music. Do you think this is what killed my SSD?????

- I checked my local Apple Store and the ealiest Genius Bar appointment is next Wednesday 2nd October. The second closest Apple store is in London 60+ miles away. If I call the Apple store do you think they would be able to find an appointment sooner? Considering hte problem is fairly clear...

thanks!!!
Oh boy I hate when this happens :(

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Is it the 128GB SSD model by any chance?

If it is, check out this thread. Those things are all of a sudden just up and dying.

Nothing you did would have caused this. They are just defective.

jmmo20

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2006
Is it the 128GB SSD model by any chance?

If it is, check out this thread. Those things are all of a sudden just up and dying.

Nothing you did would have caused this. They are just defective.

Very likely yes, but to be honest I don't remember. This is not my main machine..

jmmo20

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2006
Apple store guys are "very helpful" (sarcasm here..).
are you kidding me? 6 days just to have a look at the computer??? plus however long it takes for the drive to arrive.

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
The one time my MBP died, I just went to the shop and said: It's broken, help me. Thing was out of warranty and stuff, but they were very kind and helpful.

If you have the option to go to a not so busy Apple store, do it. Also authorized repair centers can do the job, so that's another option if you don't want to wait for an appointment.

jmmo20

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2006
The one time my MBP died, I just went to the shop and said: It's broken, help me. Thing was out of warranty and stuff, but they were very kind and helpful.

If you have the option to go to a not so busy Apple store, do it. Also authorized repair centers can do the job, so that's another option if you don't want to wait for an appointment.

Yes I'll do that but there in the UK there are not that many stores.. there's one here in Cambridge and the second closest is either London or Milton Keynes, both 50 miles away..#

These afternoon I'll try to pop by 30 mins before they close

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
Yeah sure. A third option would be to call Apple and ship the laptop to them (they send you a shipping box usually). Unless they can swap the SSD in the store, this will be just as fast.

Btw, going early in the morning should work better, but not everyone can do that of course.

Mr Rabbit

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2013
'merica
You might run your Mac into the Apple store and speak to a concierge about doing a "quick drop", where you simply sign a form and drop your Mac off to be diagnosed and repaired later in the day without you being present. Since they problem is pretty clear I would imagine they would be happy to facilitate this. A Genius would look at it later in the day and call you with a diagnosis / plan of action, at which time you could approve or cancel the repair.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.