Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saladino

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2011
So,

I have a 2011 iMac with a samsung 840 pro SSD behind the CD drive connected to the extra SATA port, and a 3 TB Seagate Barracuda for storage. I have been using this setup fine for awhile. Recently my SSD gave me the no boot sign when attempting to boot, so I attempted a restore from a working bootable backup (backed up with SuperDuper!). Still wouldn't work (tried repairing disk & permissions to no avail. I've been booting from the bootable backup of the SSD, and it was functioning fine (all things were working)... however, now after an App Store update it did on restart (of the backup), it won't recognize the 3 TB hard drive which has some apps and other important files on it. I can still boot into the 3 TB hard drive by holding down "option" key during bootup, however it won't show up (any of it's partitions) when I'm booted to on the SSD backup. Obviously I have issues with the SSD, but why can't I even access my 3 TB drive while booted from the SSD backup. Also, why can't I boot onto my SSD anymore, even after a restore from the backup that WILL boot when I boot into it. (PS, external attached storage is recognized, just not my SATA attached 3 TB hard drive, when booted from the backup.)

Please help!!

bplein

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2007
Austin, TX USA
You've given us a lot of info, but it's a little disjointed.

Let's try this:
  • Boot into recovery mode
  • Open a terminal (I believe you access this through the Utilities menu)
  • run "diskutil list", copy and paste the output in a reply here.
  • Run "diskutil cs list", copy and paste the output in your reply as well.
The above will give us a list of all disks that the system thinks it can access. This will help us determine if you have a hardware problem or a partition/fs problem.

Oh, obviously you cannot copy and paste the output. You can capture the information with a smartphone and upload pictures. Complete information, don't just give us a summary from memory.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.