Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zmsakarya

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2011
Turkey
Thanks Pete. İ understood that i must read much about prores, edit and render. Probably i Will use prores, thanks again.

Chad3eleven

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2012
exactly! Keep all of your media at the closest to the original footage format if possible.. (In your case I would still optimize or transcode to pro res)

keep all AE renders to match that format (1080p..) and then.. ONLY on your final export, spit it out to the delivery format. Dont degrade your edit by rendering an AE animation to 720, then it gets stretched to 1080 in FCP, then you recompress it back to 720..

I tend to export a full res master, and then use compressor, mpeg streamclip, adobe media encoder to convert it to however I need it to be (mp4, avi, etc.)

zmsakarya

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2011
Turkey
exactly! Keep all of your media at the closest to the original footage format if possible.. (In your case I would still optimize or transcode to pro res)
This is the point, that i jump over. i'll do this workflow today. Thanks Chad3eleven.
Question(s):
in which format do you prefer, when i render an animation in after effects that i will take it to FcpX. Now i render it as H.264. is the animation codec is true format?
i'll use ProRes but do i have to use. As a result i edit lesson videos and 4-5 transition effects. Thanks.

Last edited:

Chad3eleven

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2012
No need for animation codec.

You need to get a grasp on how these programs operate.. If your sequence setting is that of a particular codec, such as pro res 422 or DVCPRO, then all media that is brought in to that sequence will be re-rendered/transcoded to match the sequence..

Again, I would avoid rendering out of AE to h.264 as it will take a ton of time to do so.. You would use Apple Pro Res 422, or 422 LT (differences are bit rate)

So you know, the animation codec is a lossless codec, it is nearly un-compressed, and for most situations completly overkill. If you are bringing in a video clip that is 1920x1080, h.264, with a bit rate of 25 mbp/s and adding some effects to it, then exporting to animation codec, you just blew that file up with a 200+ mbp/s bit rate.. and did it add any quality to it? NO... you just made the file larger then it should.

Do some tests to see what yields you the best results.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.