Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 25, 2009
It will boot successfully over USB whenever I put it into an external bay.

File system check exit code is 8.

That is what happens when I try to repair it on Disk Utility on another computer - through the recovery partition, it tries and repairs it successfully. The drive appears as Read Only (or won't mount) and it also says "problems were found with the partition map which may prevent booting."

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Be sure (if you are running El Capitan) that you do the repair on a system that is also running El Capitan. (Not booted to Mavericks, for example.) Disk Repair running on a different system version may report an incorrect response.

If you can boot from external USB, but not in the internal bus, then you may have a bad internal SATA cable. I have read about those working with a hard drive, but not an SSD - who knows what the technical reason is for that! But, replacing the SATA cable should fix your issue.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 25, 2009
Be sure (if you are running El Capitan) that you do the repair on a system that is also running El Capitan. (Not booted to Mavericks, for example.) Disk Repair running on a different system version may report an incorrect response.

If you can boot from external USB, but not in the internal bus, then you may have a bad internal SATA cable. I have read about those working with a hard drive, but not an SSD - who knows what the technical reason is for that! But, replacing the SATA cable should fix your issue.
Damn okay, it does work with an HDD. Should I try it on another macbook that I have available?

EDIT: Jeez, this is weird. It does work internally when I use it over the disk drive's SATA port. :/

Last edited:

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Samsung 840 on a 2013 MacBook Pro.
Damn okay, it does work with an HDD. Should I try it on another macbook that I have available?
EDIT: Jeez, this is weird. It does work internally when I use it over the disk drive's SATA port. :/
Ehh? I'm guessing you mean a 2012 model. All 2013 and later are blade SSDs and no internal optical drive.
And, using the (optical) disk port would mean that you used a different connection, even thought it is still internal.
Another proof that the SATA ribbon cable should be replaced.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 25, 2009
Sorry, it is a 2012 bought in 2013.

And yeah, must be the SATA cable. I'm debating whether or not it's even worth replacing. The throughput isn't quite the same but it's nearly unnoticeable from the HD bay to the optical drive bay, no?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
No, both bays on a 2012 support 6 Gbps, and both should negotiate to the same speed, subject to the speed of the devices on each connector, of course.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 25, 2009
No, both bays on a 2012 support 6 Gbps, and both should negotiate to the same speed, subject to the speed of the devices on each connector, of course.
Ah okay awesome, thank you very much for your help my friend. Appreciate it immensely.

RaNdOm

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2003
Albuquerque, New Mexico
I'll just throw in that I replaced my internal drive with an SSD on my 2012 Macbook Pro that was working fine with an HDD, but when I put in a SSD it wouldn't boot. It would boot fine from an external USB cable though. Like stated above it WAS the SATA cable inside the the computer that had gone bad. I ordered one from Amazon for $25, replaced it, (really easy) and installed the SSD back inside. The computer works perfectly and is faster than using the USB 3 interface. So I suggest either getting a new cable, which is cheap, or swapping out the disk drive. Hope you get it all working.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 25, 2009
I'll just throw in that I replaced my internal drive with an SSD on my 2012 Macbook Pro that was working fine with an HDD, but when I put in a SSD it wouldn't boot. It would boot fine from an external USB cable though. Like stated above it WAS the SATA cable inside the the computer that had gone bad. I ordered one from Amazon for $25, replaced it, (really easy) and installed the SSD back inside. The computer works perfectly and is faster than using the USB 3 interface. So I suggest either getting a new cable, which is cheap, or swapping out the disk drive. Hope you get it all working.
That is indeed what I am doing right now! SSD is in the disk drive and the regular HDD is in the HD bay. :) Cheers!

Reactions: RaNdOm
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.