Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iGrouch

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2007
Off Ramp M50
I agree that it is strange that Apple dropped the way Spotlight changed the way search results are viewed. Perhaps the Show All window was one search view too many but the Search View in the Tiger Finder did the same thing more or less and should have been retained in Leopard.

I don't know if pairing down how the OS functions (aka searches) to suit a Windows audience is such a good idea. I don't think people in general are that stupid. More to the point they may be a bit slow/reticent/scared of absorbing how to operate certain aspects of a device. Whether its Apple or MS, they will probably get stuck at a stage way earlier than finding out how searches work.

Put another way when Apple says it just works, I laugh. From experience, dealing with many people who are just not into computers but have to have them because computers have become more integral to how we live now, it is a struggle to get them to grasp even the simplest things on the Mac and these people are not stupid. Learning how to use a computer can absorb a lot of time and some people have better things to do as far as they are concerned. Those who are into computers usually adopt changes very easily.

In fact it is contrary to good design that Apple have made it harder to view returned results from searches. And, to put any shape on organizing files into groups of type, requires the user to perform more steps with the interface. And yes the new strengths of Spotlight (boolean searches) are welcome.

I would not be surprised if the old search view reappears at some stage in the future. For what ever reason it did not make it to 10.5.0. Looking at the rumored leaks of certain features being changed or reinstated in 10.5.2 it is obvious that Apple are still working hard to put the final touches to Leopard. And this hard work will be in their favour as it will make Leopard better than Tiger and better than anything else.

iGrouch

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2007
Off Ramp M50
Just read this article by Matt Neubury at TidBitts and would like to add a few comments on what he has to say

http://db.tidbits.com/article/9283

Yes OK he has some valid points. Having the search limited by File Name is a good addition. Spotlight is faster and the more advanced way searches can be applied is welcome. The Show All window was an aberration.

His views on how results are viewed are subjective and somewhat coloured by the fact that he has a search product of his own to promote. In tiger, although it was not the default view in Finder, the list vies provided a flat view of all the files in the search. There is not any reason why Icon, List or coverflow can be set as the default depending on the users preference. Reinstating the old Tiger Search View is just another view that a fair proportion of users actually liked.

He omits to mention some areas where Leopard Spotlight falls down in comparison to Tiger Spotlight in relation to the location criteria and how this throw up some cumbersome user experiences in moving the search to the where you actually want to search. Starting a search, the results are limited to This Mac and the directory you were in when you started the search. It may not have been your intention to start from there so you throw the net wider and instinctively click on the Home folder icon in the sidebar of the Finder. This actually takes you out of search mode and you have to start over. Ok perhaps this is a good way to exit searches but in Tiger in the grey location criteria bar there were up to five options to narrow/expand the search to: Servers, Computer (This Mac), Home, Folder(initial location from which search was started) and Others. This offered enough flexibility for the user not to get frustrated.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
I agree that it is strange that Apple dropped the way Spotlight changed the way search results are viewed. Perhaps the Show All window was one search view too many but the Search View in the Tiger Finder did the same thing more or less and should have been retained in Leopard.

I don't know if pairing down how the OS functions (aka searches) to suit a Windows audience is such a good idea. I don't think people in general are that stupid. More to the point they may be a bit slow/reticent/scared of absorbing how to operate certain aspects of a device. Whether its Apple or MS, they will probably get stuck at a stage way earlier than finding out how searches work.

Put another way when Apple says it just works, I laugh. From experience, dealing with many people who are just not into computers but have to have them because computers have become more integral to how we live now, it is a struggle to get them to grasp even the simplest things on the Mac and these people are not stupid. Learning how to use a computer can absorb a lot of time and some people have better things to do as far as they are concerned. Those who are into computers usually adopt changes very easily.

In fact it is contrary to good design that Apple have made it harder to view returned results from searches. And, to put any shape on organizing files into groups of type, requires the user to perform more steps with the interface. And yes the new strengths of Spotlight (boolean searches) are welcome.

I would not be surprised if the old search view reappears at some stage in the future. For what ever reason it did not make it to 10.5.0. Looking at the rumored leaks of certain features being changed or reinstated in 10.5.2 it is obvious that Apple are still working hard to put the final touches to Leopard. And this hard work will be in their favour as it will make Leopard better than Tiger and better than anything else.

I agree completely. It sucks when they take away something that I actually had grown to like and use quite often. At first, Tiger's spotlight was very strange but, as I used it more and more, it became so useful to have the categories sorted out in the outline view. Now, all the files are just thrown together and intermixing with everything else and it gets confusing to look at. Not to mention No-Customizable options for how your results are even displayed. You can't add your own list headers to sort your results.... also, what is up with this "Last Opened" view. When I'm looking for something, I don't care when I last opened it... I wanna know when it was last modified and now that isn't easily accessible. At work, I search a large database of files from various clients and such and I NEED to know WHEN the file was last modified because sometimes, I'll get duplicate files that are used in different jobs and sometimes those files have to be tweaked for whatever reason and I need to know which one was the newest version. Last Opened is a joke... and it's not even a funny one.

Edit: Take a look at the thread I made and check out how many people disagree with me. It's sad.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/397509/

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
By the way... for those people who say that the Spotlight Window in Tiger is a window which does not belong to anything and it's almost impossible to get to when it's behind another window... just press cmd-option-space again and it comes to the front. What's so hard about that? Also, it shows up in Exposé view too.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
This is what I want Spotlight to look like:

Attachments

• Good_Spotlight.jpg
    Good_Spotlight.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 321

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
I think more people are saying the new Spotlight is way better so, I don't think Apple will be "fixing it" in an update. They could give us a choice rather than only cater to certain people. When I said Spotlight was worse, I got lots of grief which leads me to believe that most people hated the old Spotlight and are now welcoming the new Spotlight but, I think the new one is too cumbersome to use and I can't get good results.

Can someone PLEASE tell me a way that I can view my results sorted by date in Leopard? (I'm not talking about "Last Opened" date either)... from what I tried... it seems impossible to do. If someone can shed some (spot)light on this, it would be much appreciated.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
I forgot that this website is hosted in Puritania where people are shocked at swear words and yet go along to bars with hostesses displaying their boobs prominently.

The missing word is shyte.

That's because this forum is "suppose" to be a family forum consisting of all ages.

kaiwai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2007
Christchurch
That's because this forum is "suppose" to be a family forum consisting of all ages.

And swear words are considerably worse than the, quite frankly, crap I see in popular US culture? I'd swap what is in America for a few swear words - thank you very much.

tritisan

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2008
after years of lurking, I must now post

After using Leopard for a few weeks now, my single biggest complaint is the awful Spotlight "show all" window. Talk about taking a giant step backwards. What happened to the very convenient and usable grouping feature?

Hello Apple! Anybody paying attention there? BRING BACK THE TIGER SEARCH RESULTS SCREEN!

(or at least make it an option in Spotlight prefs. jeesh.)

dk831

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2007
Stacks still doesn't have an option to allow the "stack" to open as a regular finder folder. Ideally Apple would have kept this function from Tiger and added all the eye candy that Stacks provides. We're getting closer though!

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
Dock Folders?

I'm not sure what I'm missing…but I always disliked how clicking on a folder in the dock would show the Finder window…and you had to hold down the mouse down for a few seconds to get the list view.
When stacks came I was so happy - an instant "list"…er what am I missing with the Tiger folder system?
Can I swap the action so that the left mouse button reveals the popup list instead of a long or right click?

Plomok

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2008
Stacks Update Problem!!!!

Hey guys,

My problem is I cant see the new stacks update on my dock.

I right click on a stack, and it is still the same as the old one, nothing new, no list view's or anything like that.

I have the latest version of Leopard and I would like to see these changes on my own dock.

I am getting frustrated as to why this would happen to me haha. Any help or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Updated Stacks in 10.5.2 Problem.png
    Updated Stacks in 10.5.2 Problem.png
    100.2 KB · Views: 156

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
It looks like you might've used some dock modification programs. If that's the case, it may interfere with the updated dock. Did you ever modify the dock any way other than through the dock system pref?

Plomok

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2008
motulist

Good looking out!

What happened was, that I was playing around with the dock 2d and 3d stuff, apparently I messed up badly and I asked a buddy for his content folder that holds all of the docks files, and I replaced it. That fixed my dock to what I had and was working as usual.

Once I hoped into ichat to double check if his was doing the same ( we did a screen share ) apparently his was having the same problem I had.

The solution came when I checked for his software version, operantly my buddy does not believe in updates for some stupid reason .... don't ask why, he had leopard flat out 10.5. I took his files because I was in class and I did not have what I needed. Besides I assumed he believes in updates LOL.

So where did I get this fix, Time Machine BABY!!! I went back to Feb 29th, before I started to play around with the dock files, and just restored my old files. And yes I had it updated I just didn't realize what I have done.

Anyways thank you for looking out and your help :D, we love :apple:.

le sacre

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2004
sf, ca, usa
After using Leopard for a few weeks now, my single biggest complaint is the awful Spotlight "show all" window. Talk about taking a giant step backwards. What happened to the very convenient and usable grouping feature?

Hello Apple! Anybody paying attention there? BRING BACK THE TIGER SEARCH RESULTS SCREEN!

(or at least make it an option in Spotlight prefs. jeesh.)

go to http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html to let them know. if enough people do, we might see a change in 10.5.3. i agree this was a horrible change. especially when they only give you three sorting options in the window, one of which ("Last Opened") i have never found the least bit useful.

OatmealRocks

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2009
Folder (Stack)

Could someone help me?

I created an alias folder for my APPLICATIONS. I put the alias on my DOCK but when I click on the alias it will open FINDER window. I would like it to show my applications in STACK mode. I have copied another folder and put that on DOCK and it appears fine with STACK options. I have no idea why my alias of APPLICATIONS opens FINDER.

slicecom

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Could someone help me?

I created an alias folder for my APPLICATIONS. I put the alias on my DOCK but when I click on the alias it will open FINDER window. I would like it to show my applications in STACK mode. I have copied another folder and put that on DOCK and it appears fine with STACK options. I have no idea why my alias of APPLICATIONS opens FINDER.

Don't use an alias, just drag the actual applications folder into the dock.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.