Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kimcheeboi65

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2006
Has Apple bother to do anything about the stains on the macbooks?

Because basically all the new macbooks will still stain then

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
from what i've read, yes. call applecare or take it into your local shop - they are supposedly now fixing this for users by replacing the plastic. more recent macbooks shouldn't have this problem anymore.

Bill Gates

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2006
How many threads are we going to get about the same topic? Apple has supposedly revised the plastic used in the case; the new cases are less porous.

i0Nic

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2006
Sydney, Australia
Bill Gates said:
How many threads are we going to get about the same topic? Apple has supposedly revised the plastic used in the case; the new cases are less porous.
It will always be an issue until we know for certain that Apple have publicly acknowledged the issue and indeed changed the plastics used in the macbooks. Right now it's still pretty much just speculation.

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
kimcheeboi65 said:
Has Apple bother to do anything about the stains on the macbooks?

Because basically all the new macbooks will still stain then

I think it was only a certain run of MacBooks that allegedly stained. No-one I know who owns one has had this phenomenon occur.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Well mine has stained, but at a very normal rate. I mean, what did you expect on a white/grey laptop? My hands aren't spotless every time I use my MacBook. In fact, I can't even see the stain. My friends had to point it out, and this was only noticeable under certain lighting. It wasn't a big issue.

And today, I used a general purpose spray cleaner and wiped the palmrest area with a tissue. I think it's clean, but again, I couldn't even see the stain before. I'll ask a friend later.

erickkoch

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2003
Kalifornia
I've heard complaints about this issue even on PowerBooks. I've always used Wrist Rugs. When I get a new laptop that will be the first accessory I buy.

Attachments

• rr43.jpg
    rr43.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 186

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
i0Nic said:
It will always be an issue until we know for certain that Apple have publicly acknowledged the issue and indeed changed the plastics used in the macbooks. Right now it's still pretty much just speculation.

It's not really speculation. Apple has agreed to replace them with a new type of plastic. Obviously Apple is publicly acknowledging the problem, or they wouldn't be doing that.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Abstract said:
Well mine has stained, but at a very normal rate. I mean, what did you expect on a white/grey laptop? My hands aren't spotless every time I use my MacBook. In fact, I can't even see the stain. My friends had to point it out, and this was only noticeable under certain lighting. It wasn't a big issue.

And today, I used a general purpose spray cleaner and wiped the palmrest area with a tissue. I think it's clean, but again, I couldn't even see the stain before. I'll ask a friend later.

Different issue then. The defect that apple is repairing occurs no matter how clean your hands are, and cannot be cleaned off with anything. The macbooks will stain just like ibooks used to, if your hands aren't clean, but that's not the issue here.

Mine is being repaired right now...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.