stain on macbooks

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kimcheeboi65, Jul 14, 2006.

1. kimcheeboi65 macrumors member

kimcheeboi65

Has Apple bother to do anything about the stains on the macbooks?

Because basically all the new macbooks will still stain then

2. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

from what i've read, yes. call applecare or take it into your local shop - they are supposedly now fixing this for users by replacing the plastic. more recent macbooks shouldn't have this problem anymore.

3. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

How many threads are we going to get about the same topic? Apple has supposedly revised the plastic used in the case; the new cases are less porous.

4. i0Nic macrumors 65816

It will always be an issue until we know for certain that Apple have publicly acknowledged the issue and indeed changed the plastics used in the macbooks. Right now it's still pretty much just speculation.

5. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

I think it was only a certain run of MacBooks that allegedly stained. No-one I know who owns one has had this phenomenon occur.

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Well mine has stained, but at a very normal rate. I mean, what did you expect on a white/grey laptop? My hands aren't spotless every time I use my MacBook. In fact, I can't even see the stain. My friends had to point it out, and this was only noticeable under certain lighting. It wasn't a big issue.

And today, I used a general purpose spray cleaner and wiped the palmrest area with a tissue. I think it's clean, but again, I couldn't even see the stain before. I'll ask a friend later.

7. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

I've heard complaints about this issue even on PowerBooks. I've always used Wrist Rugs. When I get a new laptop that will be the first accessory I buy.

Attached Files:

8. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

It's not really speculation. Apple has agreed to replace them with a new type of plastic. Obviously Apple is publicly acknowledging the problem, or they wouldn't be doing that.

9. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Different issue then. The defect that apple is repairing occurs no matter how clean your hands are, and cannot be cleaned off with anything. The macbooks will stain just like ibooks used to, if your hands aren't clean, but that's not the issue here.

Mine is being repaired right now...