Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

N.Desmond

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2017
Phila, PA USA
A few days ago, I noticed my Gmail account would no longer load on my mid-2012 MacBook Pro that is running Mavericks 10.9.5 and Safari 9.1.3 (latest version of Safari under Mavericks).

Google support suggests updating Safari, but that is not possible unless one updates OS to High Sierra. Google is looking into fix/patch but no further news as of now. They suggest using alternate browser such as Firefox but that it is likely short-term fix. Or one can view in Safari in HTML format. I downloaded Firefox and now can load Gmail in standard view.

For those with older laptops (2008) that cannot update beyond Mavericks, or those running legacy apps and plugins, updating to newer OS isn't an option.

Folks are angry with Google on their help forum, but it appears to be an Apple issue. I know Mavericks hasn't been supported for a while and there are security issues, but I am concerned about the bugs in High Sierra. I looked at OS on husband's newer MacBook Air (not High Sierra), and I cannot determine how to download images from my camera card into a folder on his desktop (vs using iPhotos or Photos). I do not want my images tied up with Apple's photo software and have my own organizational system. Plus, the newer OS interface looks hideous.

Will I lose access to Lightroom 5 on disc by upgrading to High Sierra? And can my laptop even handle the new OS? I think SSD is required to handle newest OS? I believe my laptop has partial SSD. I am not super computer literate. This is my configuration. Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro10,1

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 2.7 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 8 MB

Memory: 16 GB

Boot ROM Version: MBP101.00EE.B0A

SMC Version (system): 2.3f36

Serial Number (system):

Hardware UUID: CE19EA0A-89A1-5165-9B85-FA5B5979BB9F

Reactions: martyjmclean

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Us hard hold-overs maybe fighting against city hall. Two options:

1. Break down and upgrade OS.
2. Use Chrome/Firefox.

martyjmclean

Cancelled
Jan 24, 2018
At this point, El Capitan is the oldest operating system you should be on. I'm running Sierra with no problems and would suggest that over High Sierra right now.
Running High Sierra on a SSD will use APFS which as huge improvements over HFS+. But upgrading to a SSD on any operating system/file system will have night and day differences.

As for the pictures: Photos organises everything perfectly, especially if you have an iPhone and use iCloud. You are able to export photos from the Photos library if you wish. Of course, copying them from the card into a folder or using Image Capture always works and may be a better option.

Lightroom 5 reportedly has issues on High Sierra, but Lightroom 6 works fine. As much as I hate Adobe, you might have to bite the bullet on that one and subscribe to Creative Cloud. Hell, I still use Aperture professionally with no problems.

Last edited:
Reactions: WatchFromAfar

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
I'd stick to your guns and just use a more current web browser as mentioned above. There are a ton to choose from. Firefox, Waterfox, Chrome, PaleMoon, Basilisk, Iron, Iridium etc etc, or use the default Mail.app on your system.

Cheers

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Your post probably should have been less of a rant and more about the questions you should be asking:
  • I am running Mavericks...if I upgrade must it be to High Sierra?
  • What macOS/Safari versions will work with Gmail?
  • Which of my apps will not run properly if I upgrade macOS?
  • What kind of hard drive/storage device is on my computer?
As to the Gmail website they are rolling out a new version soon and who knows what will be compatible with it.

N.Desmond

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2017
Phila, PA USA
Your post probably should have been less of a rant and more about the questions you should be asking:
  • I am running Mavericks...if I upgrade must it be to High Sierra?
  • What macOS/Safari versions will work with Gmail?
  • Which of my apps will not run properly if I upgrade macOS?
  • What kind of hard drive/storage device is on my computer?
As to the Gmail website they are rolling out a new version soon and who knows what will be compatible with it.

Yeah, I've long been over this issue. Gmail is operating just fine.

TC_GoldRush

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2017
Nevada, USA
Use Chrome or FireFox, they both work fine on Mavericks. I'm a Maverick hold out, not updating to the awful GUI of modern Apple operating systems! I hate that the middle of the screen is blurred whenever I change the brightness/sound (it's transparent in Mavericks). Do NOT update your machine!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.