Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rymack

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2010
Thunder Bay, Ontario
I just wanted to point out that I seem to remember the majority of the complaints about Abrams' Trek films is that he made them too much like Star Wars and less like what traditional Trek is about. He also admitted that he was more of a Star Wars fanboy growing up... (and of course I cant find where he said this)

I think a Star Wars fanboy making a Star Wars movie will be a very good thing; I can see why a Star Wars fanboy making a Star Trek movie might anger a lot of people.

There's also The Phantom Menace Effect: no matter what the filmmaker does, there is no way the film can live up to expectations. Some people will be angry or unimpressed or disappointed or enraged no matter what...

orioncrystalice

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2014
I liked the first 'Trek reboot, but "Into Darkness" took almost no chances and was a vast disappointment. I'm not generally a SW fan, but if it looks like a good film I'll see it. Echoing the "it can't be worse than the prequels" statement.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
I just consider all of these "reboots" alternate timelines.

This isn't a reboot though but the sequel to the Original Trilogy. I didn't hate the prequels btw, well not a huge fan of Ep.I I must admit, though II and III were a bit better. The Abrams' Star Trek films are definitely a reboot and explicitly are in a different timeline. I thought the first was better than the second. Still doesn't come near "Trek prime" (TOS, TNG, DS9 AND Voyager).

I'm just going to wait and see, I'm more into the MCU and Doctor Who these days.

----------

Who cares? Everything evolves. Humans evolve. Art evolve. Tastes evolve. Culture evolves.

Yes, good thing too overall. Loved the way Trek evolved through the main 4 series for example.

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
I already see the JJ Abrams in it.

Hopefully the story overcomes the crashburnexplodelensflarerepeat of it all.

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Both are using J. J. Abram's production company and Abrams himself is the Director of both the modern Star Trek and Star Wars franchises! He has got a tremendous amount of control.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bad_Robot_Productions

He has control of course but so does the studio. All of that is to say that while his style would certainly be present it doesn't mean it will be the same as in Star Trek or to the same "intensity".

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
As far as we can tell from the trailer, JJ has done all the right things: the grit, the war movie inspiration, the physical effects. 10/10.

I think JJ Abrams understands what makes Star Wars Star Wars far better than George Lucas does.

MechaSpanky

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
I liked the trailer and I thought it looks promising. JJ Abrams wrote it with Lawrence Kasdan (who wrote The Empire Strikes Back with Leigh Brackett based on Lucas' notes) and so it gives me hope that it will be good as I like The Empire Strikes Back.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
Lens flares! Shaking lenses! Stupid fist fights! People too young to be in the positions of authority they are in. This is what JJA will do to Star Wars.

It's going to look more like Moonraker than Star Wars. I'll pass.

No matter what JJ does, it will upset the old guard of Star Wars fans.

This old guard still clutches to their childhood pleasant memories of a darkened theater as the first Star Wars film played to them. I'm sure there's even mental recall of riding in the tail-gunner seat of a Vista Cruiser station wagon that parked near the movie theater.

Here's to massive lens flare off a pair of light sabers in combat just to upset the old guard fans.

darthbane2k

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2009
I liked the trailer and I thought it looks promising. JJ Abrams wrote it with Lawrence Kasdan (who wrote The Empire Strikes Back with Leigh Brackett based on Lucas' notes) and so it gives me hope that it will be good as I like The Empire Strikes Back.

Oh please..

Firstly Leigh Brackett's screenplay was hardly used. Empire changed dramatically. Unfortunately she died during production.

As for Kasdan.. What has he done in the past ten years that gives you so much confidence?

This is just a commercial move to tug at nostalgic heartstrings. JJ Abrams is a master at doing this, he is a hack and a charlatan.

Oh and it was Michael Ardnts original screenplay for episode 7 that was heavily based on Lucas's treatment. Problem was it didn't put the old gang front and centre of all the action and Abrams arrogantly tossed it aside and wrote his own. Why? Because Abhams is an uncreative charlatan who is capable of nothing but remaking the original trilogy and trying to win fans over through nostalgia rather than new ideas.

Yes I am a huge star wars fan, prequels and all.

MechaSpanky

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Oh please.. Firstly Leigh Brackett's screenplay was hardly used. Empire changed dramatically. Unfortunately she died during production.

As for Kasdan.. What has he done in the past ten years that gives you so much confidence?

This is just a commercial move to tug at nostalgic heartstrings. JJ Abrams is a master at doing this, he is a hack and a charlatan.

Oh and it was Michael Ardnts original screenplay for episode 7 that was heavily based on Lucas's treatment. Problem was it didn't put the old gang front and centre of all the action and Abrams arrogantly tossed it aside and wrote his own. Why? Because Abhams is an uncreative charlatan who is capable of nothing but remaking the original trilogy and trying to win fans over through nostalgia rather than new ideas.

Yes I am a huge star wars fan, prequels and all.

People who decide that they don't like something before it is even released will never be happy. There is nothing wrong with nostalgia as long as it is quality. I was worried too that JJ Abrams might make Star Wars into a Michael Bay-like film (all fluff and no substance) but the trailer looks good to me and so I'm going to keep an open mind and hope for the best. He couldn't do any worse than Episode 1 (episode 1 was horrible).

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
No matter what JJ does, it will upset the old guard of Star Wars fans.

This old guard still clutches to their childhood pleasant memories of a darkened theater as the first Star Wars film played to them. I'm sure there's even mental recall of riding in the tail-gunner seat of a Vista Cruiser station wagon that parked near the movie theater.

Here's to massive lens flare off a pair of light sabers in combat just to upset the old guard fans.

This 'old guard' fan is not upset at all. The more I watch the teaser, the more interested I am. I am not much of a fan of J.J., but this teaser is terrific.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
This 'old guard' fan is not upset at all. The more I watch the teaser, the more interested I am. I am not much of a fan of J.J., but this teaser is terrific.

Glad to hear there are those that grew up and moved out of their parents basements full of Star Wars posters, figures, games, bedsheets, underwear, et. al. and got a life.

----------

People who decide that they don't like something before it is even released will never be happy.

You hit the nail right on the head. This is the same crowd that hangs out at Fandom convention, never does cosplay but is first to criticize any perceived flaw in outfits.

Been trained to spot these when exhibiting at Fandom conventions. One show, we even got to the point of having booth models distract them from the celebrity appearance.

This allows for the more social fans to get their pics and autographs away from someone that wants to engage an actor in a ten minute conversation about some trivial item done in a production.

And yes, if you are reading this, we know exactly what a twenty-five year old "I Grok Spock" t-shirt tells us when you walk the show halls.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
As far as we can tell from the trailer, JJ has done all the right things: the grit, the war movie inspiration, the physical effects. 10/10.

I think JJ Abrams understands what makes Star Wars Star Wars far better than George Lucas does.

Well said. When all is said and done, Disney will have another hit on their hands. Thus, Star Wars becomes a "trilogy of trilogies" going from the Fall of the Old Republic, Rise and Fall of the Empire and the Rise of the New Republic.

My guess is that with thirty years past the fall of Emperor Palpatine, this movie will center around the resurgence of Empire / Sith loyalists. Empire loyalists come out of hiding from remote systems the New Republic hasn't swept up. Who knows, maybe the Emperor didn't fully die when thrown down that shaft?

Thus, we may be seeing the Star Wars interpretation of a post-fascist storyline with a Battle of the Bulge type final scene with an (inevitable) cliffhanger ending.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
did anybody else think the teaser was a spoof, at least from the first 2 scenes?!?

Sure did...at least the thought surfaced fairly quickly.

----------

Understands what makes star wars star wars more than its own creator does? What an absurd statement.

Based on quite a bit of content from the prequels (and new treatment of some other properties like Indiana Jones) it's hard to say what the creator might have been thinking (if anything at all).

darthbane2k

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2009
Sure did...at least the thought surfaced fairly quickly.

----------

Based on quite a bit of content from the prequels (and new treatment of some other properties like Indiana Jones) it's hard to say what the creator might have been thinking (if anything at all).

Yes an absurd statement.
So you don't like the prequels - that's your problem. The Star Wars universe came from the mind of George Lucas. If that's how he envisioned the prequels to be then so be it. Doesn't matter which director for hire or fanboy thinks he can do a better job.

Anyone who knows anything about the film industry will know JJ Abrams is a mediocre director, no originality and no imagination at all.

If the new SW films were going to have a different director then it should have been Steven Spielberg for a variety of reasons. Mainly the fact that he has a better understanding than most of the franchise and its creator's mindset.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.