Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sabenth

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2003
UK
awaits kfc mcdonalds burger king and others to follow suite a lot of iphone 1 to 4 users to please now that most providers wont let us have unlimited data plans

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
FunFact: the average American household is situated within the 30-foot WiFi range of 2.47 Starbucks stores.

P.S. All coffee is awful. Load it with fat and sugar, though, and I’ll take it!

I wouldn't be surprised that this is tied into promoting FaceTime on iPhone 4. People will see others using it and it will go viral from there.

Converse

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2010
Boston, MA
Instead of coffee, get a tea or chai latte. Or one of those yummy pastries.
Was about time they offered free wifi though, I remember the one in Chile always had it for free. :/

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I'm surprised Starbucks of all places didn't already have wi fi a long time ago!

*sigh*

They have had wifi, it just wasn't free for everyone. You had to have an active Starbucks card or an iPhone to use it.

This won't change much for me. I've enjoyed using the wifi, but I'm never there for longer than the two free hours currently offered.

The only problem I see is that it'll be harder to get a seat.......

/likes Starbucks

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
This says more about our economy that they would risk serving campers like me. ;)

Look for them to take out the wall plugs, though.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
More importantly, will it make the coffee cheaper? Then again, I always see my $4.50 that I pay for coffee as a per hour rate: about $1.50/hour for my three hours if internet access. Not bad, I guess.
This is my problem with Starbucks.

I'd be more willing to deal with Starbucks if their coffee was as good as Peet's (Starbucks originally started by serving coffee made with beans purchased wholesale from Peet's) or by any of the multitude of fine independently-owned coffee shops in my neck of the woods (SF & SF Peninsula).

One of these mom-and-pop shops has offered free WiFi since circa 2002.

Starbucks is about eight years late to the party as far as I can tell (and still serves up crap brew).

MacPhilosopher

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2005
Phoenix
I think any coffee shop that didn't already offer free wifi is a few years behind the trend. It always struck me as cheap and narrow minded. There are several places I just refused to go because I could use free wifi elsewhere. For what it cost them a month, I would think the positive return would be tenfold. Congrats for squeezing every last dime out of this one, Starbucks.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Starbucks is good in a pinch but the wifi there has been free to me for years due to have an ATT internet account. The thing I hated about those things is how big of a pain in the ass it is to log into the system and allow me to use it. Normally more trouble than it was worth. I would just get my coffee and go.

I know with my blackberry which is with AT&T it logs right into star bucks wifi but with my iPod touch it was requiring a log in. That is just a month or so ago.

HarryKeogh

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
More importantly, will it make the coffee cheaper? Then again, I always see my $4.50 that I pay for coffee as a per hour rate: about $1.50/hour for my three hours if internet access. Not bad, I guess.

Where are these Starbucks locations that charge $4.50 for a cup of drip coffee*? A medium (excuse me...grande) costs me $2.08 with tax which is about fifteen cents more than DD (crap) or McDonald's (surprisingly good). I've been to Starbucks in several different states and the prices are generally the same give or take a nickel.

*hint: they don't exist.

zlh23

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2010
McDonald's has free Wi-Fi, too, for at&t customers.

I know that used to be the case, however recently I have connected with my ipod touch. All you have to do is connect to their network and agree to their terms and conditions and you are good to go, at least at the 3 or so McD's I have tried.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
*sigh*

They have had wifi, it just wasn't free for everyone. You had to have an active Starbucks card or an iPhone to use it.

This won't change much for me. I've enjoyed using the wifi, but I'm never there for longer than the two free hours currently offered.

The only problem I see is that it'll be harder to get a seat.......

/likes Starbucks

I might want to correct that. I pointed out in my post it is not that you were required to have an iPhone. You just were required to have an AT&T phone with wifi on it and it would hook right in with out an issue.

The other way to get free wifi at Star Bucks is to have a home internet account with AT&T. You just have to use that log in info to get into the free wifi. Now i have both so I could hook just about anything in.

J the Ninja

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
Ok, scratch free Wifi off the list of reasons why my coffee shop is better than Starbucks. That just leaves...uh....cheaper and the coffee is Stumptown instead of ash....no thanks, Starbucks. I'll stick with my local place.

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
By AT&T still ?

Look how well that worked at WWDC

As long as 150 odd people don't sit in there running MiFi like devices all at once destroying the wifi frequencies then it should be fine.

Honestly, I'm surprised all cafés don't already do this. Wifi routers and a fast-ish broadband connection are cheap as chips these days. Sure you're goingto get a few abusers but the easy free wifi is likely to increase customers and repeat customers on the whole.

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
FunFact: the average American household is situated within the 30-foot WiFi range of 2.47 Starbucks stores.

P.S. All coffee is awful. Load it with fat and sugar, though, and I’ll take it!

There is no counting taste.

Not all coffees are equal. Keep your fat and sugar. Straight up virginal coffee for me.

By AT&T still ?

Look how well that worked at WWDC

Let me know when you get 507 base stations sucking up your pipe and how it keeps on chuggin.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en

Starbucks announced that they would be activating free Wi-Fi access across all U.S. locations starting on July 1st. The move is seen as a response to increased competition from other chains which already offer free Wi-Fi to their customers.

iPhone customers have already enjoyed free Wi-Fi at Starbucks stores in conjunction with AT&T. While the move negates this advantage for iPhone customers, it opens up more free Wi-Fi hotspots to iPod Touch and iPad owners who were previously excluded from the service.

Article Link: Starbucks to Offer Free Wi-Fi at All U.S. Stores
At least better than their coffee.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.