Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

avital

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2014
Look at my Apple leather case, Its a bit asymmetric.

I took it off to try to fix it but i didnt really work... :(

Attachments

• caseeeeee.JPG
    caseeeeee.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 562

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
http://m.ebay.com/itm/251648425470?nav=SEARCH

It doesn't list what it is in size but looks to be the same 7mm one above I'll need the regular 6 version though. When you say it might sit just above the camera, if you place it on a table can you tell any rubbing going on against the camera when you slide it a bit you should be able to hear it?

I have a clear 4mm TPU case it looks just about flush but I could hear the camera rubbing against a table when I set it down. I'm curious if your version is the same. If you're too scared to move it on its back well that probably answers my question anyway. Lol

It's definitely only just above the camera lens. If you were to slide it on a flat surface, it would not touch. However, any minor unevenness on the surface will probably result in contact with the lens. That's the best way I can put it.

I don't know which size mines is as there is nothing on the packaging or eBay listing which tells me what size it is but it's probably a 0.8mm or 0.7mm version based on waxlabo's pictures. I have the 6 Plus. Hope that helps.

Unknown_2.jpg

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
It's definitely only just above the camera lens. If you were to slide it on a flat surface, it would not touch. However, any minor unevenness on the surface will probably result in contact with the lens. That's the best way I can put it.

I don't know which size mines is as there is nothing on the packaging or eBay listing which tells me what size it is but it's probably a 0.8mm or 0.7mm version based on waxlabo's pictures. I have the 6 Plus. Hope that helps.

Unknown_2.jpg
Great picture very helpful thanks to you and waxlabo

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010

Unknown_2.jpg

I got one last question does it feel like it might be able to survive a small say 2-3ft drop? I know these cases arent meant for drop protection but just curious since it isnt a feather case either

edit: great just ordered the WRONG case for a plus and not a 6 on accident let's see if they cancel it for me. agh.

Last edited:

boltjames

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 2, 2010
I am concerned with the Apple case having the bottom not protected. Have any of you experienced an issue?

6xDSC_0931.jpg

No issue whatsoever, there is enough lip on either side of the open bottom to protect it. And those of us who can afford the leather case certainly treat our phones properly so that no harm could come to it anyway.

BJ

AlexDB9

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
Cool case that surprisingly....does protect the phone nicely

Attachments

• IMG_0016.JPG
    IMG_0016.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 186

pbasmadj

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2013
San Francisco, California
Space Gray iPhone with white Apple Silicone Case, and Zagg Invisishield Glass. VERY happy with the setup. Have Applecare+ as well with 2 incidents, so this phone should be a keeper for a few years. Zero complaints. Other than that the vibrate is a little loud on my particular device. Not that big of a deal though. Would recommend the silicone case to anyone, it is phenomenal and not too expensive.

MGQG2_AV1_SPACE_GRAY

Geefiasco

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2008
How does the White silicone hold up in terms of grub/dirt?

I'm so tempted to get one for my white Plus.

edfoo

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2013
Australia
No issue whatsoever, there is enough lip on either side of the open bottom to protect it. And those of us who can afford the leather case certainly treat our phones properly so that no harm could come to it anyway.

BJ

Well there is this thing called "accident" which no matter how careful you are, it can still happen. I guess some people here is a bit concerned if the exposed bottom accidentally hit onto something, there is more chance the bottom part will damage.

boltjames

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 2, 2010
Well there is this thing called "accident" which no matter how careful you are, it can still happen. I guess some people here is a bit concerned if the exposed bottom accidentally hit onto something, there is more chance the bottom part will damage.

Your chances of surviving a car accident go up markedly if you wear a racing helmet and a fireproof suit. I don't see anyone doing that on the highway.

The question was whether or not the Apple leather case provides ample protection for the iPhone and the answer is "yes". You are more likely to get hit by a car or drop your phone face-down on the glass than you are on the very bottom edge between the two leather bumpers.

BJ

edfoo

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2013
Australia
Your chances of surviving a car accident go up markedly if you wear a racing helmet and a fireproof suit. I don't see anyone doing that on the highway.

I don't see how that is related to iPhone cases. Do you that mean no one should be putting on bulky cases i.e. Otterbox Defender and Lifeproof cases on their iPhones?

question was whether or not the Apple leather case provides ample protection for the iPhone and the answer is "yes". You are more likely to get hit by a car or drop your phone face-down on the glass than you are on the very bottom edge between the two leather bumpers.

I agree you are more likely to hit the flat surface of front glass screen and the back plate. The question is if the exposed bottom part more susceptible to damage if it is hit there than if it is covered up in other cases? The answer is an obvious yes.

boltjames

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 2, 2010
I don't see how that is related to iPhone cases. Do you that mean no one should be putting on bulky cases i.e. Otterbox Defender and Lifeproof cases on their iPhones?

If one is a construction worker on-site or a prisoner breaking rocks, yes, an Otterbox can help save your iPhone. A typical student or businessman doesn't need such ridiculous proportions.

I agree you are more likely to hit the flat surface of front glass screen and the back plate. The question is if the exposed bottom part more susceptible to damage if it is hit there than if it is covered up in other cases? The answer is an obvious yes.

It's not a matter of an obvious yes; it's a matter of what person would put his iPhone through such abuse to begin with. Get a free Android if they're that clumsy. An expensive and thinnest-in-class Apple isn't for everyone.

BJ

afinch1992

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
Phoenix, AZ

The point is for the average person that is not a fumbling mess and cares for their devices, as most people on this forum do, the apple case is plenty and provides amble protection. If you are very prone to accidents and dropping obviously you are looking in the wrong place.

If you're an average driver on the road, yes, in the event of an accident a fireproof suit and helmet would provide more protection, however it is only feasible for someone in a race car given the higher probability of accidents warranting the extra protection.

Suspended
Oct 14, 2014

BJ
I thought that if you can not afford an apple case you can not afford an iPhone either. I must be wrong. :confused:

Cool case that surprisingly....does protect the phone nicely
Eh I really like the gold combo. Maybe I will buy one.

waxlabo

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2014
I always wanted to get an aluminum bumper because I like the way they look and feel. But the thing that always kept me away was the full exposed back. But I just recently switched to this new aluminum bumper Infinite Case by Rock that has a hard acrylic back which is what I've been looking for. I had no idea this was even possible since most aluminum bumper cases snap on at a corner. The things I like about this case are: feels very solid, back is fully protected, buttons click are very responsive and feels just like original buttons, the microfiber lining on the inside of the bumper gives it a very snug and tight fit, and the color matches very well with the phone. Overall a very premium feel and look. Some things I do not like about the case are: installing is tricky and takes some time and care to learn the technique. It is not a case I can use to swap out often because of the care it takes to remove and install. It makes the phone a bit more heavier because of the aluminum. Also the mute switch is hard to access. But overlooking the cons it is definitely a worthy case for it's design.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 467
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 323
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 287
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 254
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 330
Last edited:

boltjames

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 2, 2010
I thought that if you can not afford an apple case you can not afford an iPhone either. I must be wrong. :confused:

Depends.

How many stories we hear on MR about the student who worked all summer and sold his bicycle to afford the least expensive iPhone 6 for $199, who has to steal wi-fi so as to not incur a $10 overcharge on a data plan, who has to wrap his iPhone in airbags so its in pristine condition for its next owner on Craigslist.

To him, that $45 leather case is unreachable, would have to shovel snow for a week to scrape the money together.

BJ

KlTTY

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2013
I always wanted to get an aluminum bumper because I like the way they look and feel. But the thing that always kept me away was the full exposed back. But I just recently switched to this new aluminum bumper Infinite Case by Rock that has a tempered glass back which is what I've been looking for. I had no idea this was even possible since most aluminum bumper cases snap on at a corner. The things I like about this case are: feels very solid, back is fully protected, buttons click are very responsive and feels just like original buttons, the microfiber lining on the inside of the bumper gives it a very snug and tight fit, and the color matches very well with the phone. Overall a very premium feel and look. Some things I do not like about the case are: installing is tricky and takes some time and care to learn the technique. It is not a case I can use to swap out often because of the care it takes to remove and install. It makes the phone a bit more heavier because of the glass and aluminum. Also the mute switch is hard to access. But overlooking the cons it is definitely a worthy case for it's design.

You keep making me want to buy new cases T__T lol. How is the feel of the case? Is the bumper and tampered glass slippery?

Kisey

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
I always wanted to get an aluminum bumper because I like the way they look and feel. But the thing that always kept me away was the full exposed back. But I just recently switched to this new aluminum bumper Infinite Case by Rock that has a tempered glass back which is what I've been looking for. I had no idea this was even possible since most aluminum bumper cases snap on at a corner. The things I like about this case are: feels very solid, back is fully protected, buttons click are very responsive and feels just like original buttons, the microfiber lining on the inside of the bumper gives it a very snug and tight fit, and the color matches very well with the phone. Overall a very premium feel and look. Some things I do not like about the case are: installing is tricky and takes some time and care to learn the technique. It is not a case I can use to swap out often because of the care it takes to remove and install. It makes the phone a bit more heavier because of the glass and aluminum. Also the mute switch is hard to access. But overlooking the cons it is definitely a worthy case for it's design.

Is the back piece really glass? Assuming this is the same one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rock-Metal-...DA_Cases&var=570476711465&hash=item3f3f147ce0, it says hardened acrylic.

Last edited:

rGiskard

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2012
And those of us who can afford the leather case certainly treat our phones properly so that no harm could come to it anyway.

BJ

That Apple leather case is not worth $50. You can get nicer leather cases for less, or absolutely gorgeous leather cases for more. Honestly if I were a rich businessman looking to flaunt my success, I'd get 8 of the most expensive Vaja cases available and assign one to each day of the week, with one reserved for power summit lunches or trophy mistress trysts.

You need to think outside the box and do something with your iPhone beyond reach of the plebs.

Last edited:

edfoo

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2013
Australia
If one is a construction worker on-site or a prisoner breaking rocks, yes, an Otterbox can help save your iPhone. A typical student or businessman doesn't need such ridiculous proportions.

There you go, there are lots of people (e.g. construction workers, tradesmen) who required cases like Otterbox. But have you seen anyone driving on public roads wearing a helmet and a firesuit? No. So your example is ridiculous.

It's not a matter of an obvious yes; it's a matter of what person would put his iPhone through such abuse to begin with. Get a free Android if they're that clumsy. An expensive and thinnest-in-class Apple isn't for everyone.

Have you actually read what I posted earlier? I said something like an ACCIDENT can happen to anyone. You don't have to be abusive towards your iPhone for something to hit the phone. For example you could just be holding your iPhone when you suddenly swing around, the bottom part of the phone hit the edge of a table. In that scenario, a case which covers the bottom of the iPhone will provide more protection than a case without.

----------

The point is for the average person that is not a fumbling mess and cares for their devices, as most people on this forum do, the apple case is plenty and provides amble protection. If you are very prone to accidents and dropping obviously you are looking in the wrong place.

I agree the apple case is enough for lots of users. All I am saying is cases which covers more of the bottom edge of the phone do provide more protection. I never say the apple case is inadequate.

If you are very prone to accidents, may be you shouldn't be using any cellphones at all, not just iPhones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.