Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

qtip919

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
ok,

I now have QS installed, and it appears to me that this is a search + app launcher, and indeed is very nice...(and customizable too!)

However,

I still feel that people are missing the point of my original request.

I want an app that TELLS my computer to do something, not something that allows me to look up, by name an item and (potentially) launch something. I am simply looking to execute commands against an open text feild. No search, no auto-complete. Very lightweight, very simplistic.

And while I will likely use both spotlight and QS to accomplish these tasks, I still cant help feeling like I am using some VERY powerful tools to accomplish something much more simple...

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
qtip919 said:
I want an app that TELLS my computer to do something, not something that allows me to look up, by name an item and (potentially) launch something. I am simply looking to execute commands against an open text feild. No search, no auto-complete. Very lightweight, very simplistic.

What do you think of my suggestion, a couple of replies up?

There is a keyboard shortcut -- option-shift-n, but I guess you have to have Terminal active to do it from the keyboard. But it seems like there's probably a clever way to accomplish that.

But also, welcome to OS X. OS X is good at having good ways of accomplishing things. It has never been good at doing things your way. :rolleyes:

qtip919

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
mkrishnan said:
What do you think of my suggestion, a couple of replies up?

There is a keyboard shortcut -- option-shift-n, but I guess you have to have Terminal active to do it from the keyboard. But it seems like there's probably a clever way to accomplish that.

But also, welcome to OS X. OS X is good at having good ways of accomplishing things. It has never been good at doing things your way. :rolleyes:

yes indeed...very close...

and getting this close is as good as I should expect for something that is totally platform unique.

However, I am now getting a clear picture of the kind of interest in this feature and I have some neat ideas now on how this can be expanded upon...

thanks to all who contributed to this discussion!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.