Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MalcolmJID

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 1, 2005
England
...on a normal start up on my MB, the grey screen comes on, dings, then the folder with a question mark comes up for a second. But then the Apple logo comes up as normal and everything works fine.

Should I worry? Is this a sign of impending HDD failure?

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
No, and No.. at least, not necessarily.

System Preferences -> Startup Disk -> Select your startup disk -> Restart button.

Did the ? go away?

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Sounds like it's looking for a boot volume. For some reason (maybe recently set to boot off an external drive, for instance), it no longer has a pre-set boot volume.

Go to System Prefs->Startup Disk and select your OS-X install on your harddrive.

Hopefully, it'll now boot directly to your internal drive.

ozontheroad

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2006
the reef
...on a normal start up on my MB, the grey screen comes on, dings, then the folder with a question mark comes up for a second. But then the Apple logo comes up as normal and everything works fine.

Should I worry? Is this a sign of impending HDD failure?

it could be a hard drive problem. (but more than likely something else) start up disk change?

open Disk Utility and check the S.M.A.R.T status of the hard drive it should say "verified"

then on the "first aid" tab (it will be selected by default) "verify disk"

MalcolmJID

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 1, 2005
England
SMART status verifyed.

But Verify Disk gave me:

Volume Header needs minor repair
The volume MacBook HD needs to be repaired.

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit

1 HFS volume checked
Volume needs repair

Where from here?

deadpixels

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2006
SMART status verifyed.

But Verify Disk gave me:

Volume Header needs minor repair
The volume MacBook HD needs to be repaired.

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit

1 HFS volume checked
Volume needs repair

Where from here?

you should not worry, i had that on my alu pbook for years, it's nothing wrong, your hard drive s fine i'm sure.:D

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Boot from your install DVD and click Repair Disk for your hard drive in Disk Utility.

MalcolmJID

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 1, 2005
England
I have this too, only after a failed Vista RC2 bootcamp.

Wow, I uninstalled Windows XP SP2 off here about a week ago? Looks like it's the same.

Oddly enough, Disk Utility won't let me click Repair Disk? It's still greyed out, even when selecting either the "Toshiba..." or "MacBook HD" in the left hand pane, after clicking verify disk. Odd?

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Oddly enough, Disk Utility won't let me click Repair Disk? It's still greyed out, even when selecting either the "Toshiba..." or "MacBook HD" in the left hand pane, after clicking verify disk. Odd?

Yep...you can't repair a disk you're booted from. That's why you have to boot from your install DVD in order to repair.

MalcolmJID

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 1, 2005
England
No, and No.. at least, not necessarily.

System Preferences -> Startup Disk -> Select your startup disk -> Restart button.

Did the ? go away?

Thank you, all sorted now. For some reason, a network startup was in the start up options. OS X selected now. Thank you! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.