Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnbro23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
Hey I had an idea to make an official "switch" thread on my second favorite forum, antsmarching.org. Its a pretty active DMB forum, but I'm putting it in the non-DMB part of the forum. I need some help from you guys... I'm going to out numbered! Well, heres the post I'm posting:

The Official "Switch" Thread

I recently switched to the Mac and I couldn't be happier. I was fed up with Windows' spyware and viruses. Since I bought my Mac (August 04), I haven't had any viruses, any spyware, any crashes, or any problems what-so-ever.

I'm sure there are those of you who say Macs are stupid because of many reasons. The only real drawback to Macs that I see is their lack of games. They do have SOME games, but not nearly as many as PC's.

If you're not a hardcore gamer, theres no reason I can see why you shouldn't switch.

PS: I'm going to need some help from fellow Mac users defending the Mac, we're outnumbered you know!

Here's the link so you can see the Mac bashing (I know its going to happen) for yourself:
http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=123494

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
No offense, however what's with the FREE advertising for Apple. I mean are you getting paid by Apple. :confused:

If someone has a question(s) they curiosity will guide them here to MR or Apples site. And as we all know they will start a NEW thread as always since this one will be buried never to be found considering that many people do not even do a search on forum topics. :)

johnbro23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
maya said:
No offense, however what's with the FREE advertising for Apple. I mean are you getting paid by Apple. :confused:

If someone has a question(s) they curiosity will guide them here to MR or Apples site. And as we all know they will start a NEW thread as always since this one will be buried never to be found considering that many people do not even do a search on forum topics. :)

No, I'm not getting paid by Apple directly, but I do own some AAPL. Thats not my motivation though.

I just want to spread the word. Isn't that what we all should be doing?

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
johnbro23 said:
No, I'm not getting paid by Apple directly, but I do own some AAPL. Thats not my motivation though.

I just want to spread the word. Isn't that what we all should be doing?

AAPL stock that might be one reason. ;) :)

Wow you are making the Macintosh community sound like some sort of *cough*cult*cough. :)

You only help people when help is asked, some people do not appreciate others telling them that they are using a plagued system, or this is a better way of doing something. However when someone asks for help it is far more appreciated.

Supply and Demand notion here. :)

And there are countless numbers of Apple related threads, sites, etc... on the web.

Though your intentions are well, I don't see this as a BIG THING. Help those close to you before moving outwards. :)

johnbro23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
maya said:
AAPL stock that might be one reason. ;) :)

Wow you are making the Macintosh community sound like some sort of *cough*cult*cough. :)

You only help people when help is asked, some people do not appreciate others telling them that they are using a plagued system, or this is a better way of doing something. However when someone asks for help it is far more appreciated.

Supply and Demand notion here. :)

And there are countless numbers of Apple related threads, sites, etc... on the web.

Though your intentions are well, I don't see this as a BIG THING. Help those close to you before moving outwards. :)

Ok sorry. :(

I just thought it'd be a good idea. I never thought it would be a big thing, just a way for me to make a difference. Hey, if every Mac fanatic posted something like this on every board, don't you think more people would switch?

And I understand your comment about the cult thing. Oh well.

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
johnbro23 said:
Ok sorry. :(

I just thought it'd be a good idea. I never thought it would be a big thing, just a way for me to make a difference. Hey, if every Mac fanatic posted something like this on every board, don't you think more people would switch?

And I understand your comment about the cult thing. Oh well.

No need to be sorry. :)

It doesn't matter if you tell someone that a Mac will do your work for you and all you have to do is press a button and sit on your arse and come back in 30 minutes and its done. People will look at they pocketbook first, then look at the learning curve. What someone does not understand they fear and it only depends on an individual who has the willingness to learn something new even if its is simpler. That is why people stick to windows, since if its not price of the hardware and software, they will tell you the learning curve and applications they have and this and that. It never ends. Even if you show them a Mac is overall cheaper than a PC box.

As stated if someone is willing they will take the time to research the issue.

Other than that you will have a million questions asking how to do this and that and so on...

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
I'd suggest being careful with the proselytizing. It just invites harassment and grief and really doesn't open anybody's eyes. The net effect to the Mac community is negative. Instead, demonstrate the virtues of the Mac. Use it. Don't make comparisons to Windows, just do great things and say "look what I can do."

The "right" people understand. The other people just don't get it--don't worry about them.

johnbro23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
Well, it seems like no one cares. It's gotten no replys and no views so far. Its almost lost forever (off the front page). I think I'll just leave it... it wasn't a good idea after all.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
johnbro23 said:
Well, it seems like no one cares. It's gotten no replys and no views so far. Its almost lost forever (off the front page). I think I'll just leave it... it wasn't a good idea after all.
For future reference, posts like the one you quoted at the start of this message will probably get ignored at most non-tech forums because people a) dont' care, and b) will probably think you're a zealot. Besides, outside of Mac circles, the word "switch" just doesn't have the same meaning.

What you're trying to do is actually understandable; just as I might say "Hey, I tried this new resteraunt, and it turns out it's a lot better than I thought--you might try it too.", to share a pleasant experience I think others might enjoy, I might say "I tried using a Mac, and as it turns out I can get a lot more done with it than before--you might try it too."

If you really do want to spread the word when nobody actually asked for your opinion, you'd probably do better to try something like this:

---
I finally gave up on Windows--anybody else?

Last year I got so fed up with all the spyware on my PC that I went and got a Mac to try it out. Turns out I'm really happy with it now, and even though there are less games it does everything else I need without all the virus problems. Any other people here who ditched Windows, or thinking about it?
---

By phrasing it as if you're looking for people with which to share experiences or compare notes, it sounds a little more friendly and less like a blatant ad, but it might still attract the attention of people who might be thinking about a Mac. It also makes you sound more like somebody who's just looking for a better way to get things done and less like a "Mac fan", which will be an immediate turn-off.

The other tack would be a thread looking for other Mac users on the forum (just to see how many there are), which might attract carryover attention (for example "Loving my new Mac -- any other Mac users here?").

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.