Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hufflematt

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 7, 2015
UK
Round these parts it's currently just above freezing and my new MacBook is sitting in a depot somewhere waiting to be loaded into a van. By the time it gets to my house it's going to be one very cold MacBook.

Would it be stupid to unpack it and start using it straight away. Should I let it warm up for a few hours first? I'm thinking of the dangers of condensation, for example.

Ovedius

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2012
Norway
According to the info on Apple.com Macs have an operating temperature between 10 and 35 degrees (Celsius).
Safe storage temperatures are listed as between -25 to 45.

So to be absolutely safe you could wait for a while, but I don't know how dangerous it is to turn on a cold MacBook (below 10 degrees).

IMG_8712.jpg

Reactions: hufflematt

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
If you want to be sure, take it out of the box and then let it acclimate for an hour or two before you power it on.
Certainly won't hurt anything...

hufflematt

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 7, 2015
UK
If you want to be sure, take it out of the box and then let it acclimate for an hour or two before you power it on.
Certainly won't hurt anything...

That was my plan. I took it out of the box but I couldn't resist the temptation to open the lid just to have a look at the keyboard.

Of course, the new MacBook Pro automatically boots up when you open the lid . . .

But, no problems! It's fine.

Except for the scratch . . . but that's another thread :(

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
You might want to just let it warm up for a bit. As the doc shows they expect 10c/50F and non-condensing environment.

Condensation in a computer is a really bad thing since moisture can cause corrosion that eats away at components until they fail. And if condensation causes water in the system it may trip one of the water detecting dots leading to no warranty coverage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.