Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eckslusive

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 12, 2002
Hey I want to stop that start up sound from going off when i start the computer, but i dont want to tdisconnect the speaker..can i disable it with a script or program or something?

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
under OS 9 you can simply set up a couple of applescripts to turn the coume to zero, and put that in the shutdown items folder, and another to set the volume back up in the startup items folder. I think you can even use the scripts included in speakable items.

Under OS X, I don't know.

voicegy

macrumors 65816
Stick a pair of headphones in the jack...or buy a really cheap throwaway pair of 'phones and cut the end off and only use the jack.

or

Turn down your volume 'til it is mute before you shut down. Next time you start up, the start up sound will be silent...because the machine remembers the last volume setting. (at least that's what my experience is with Jaguar)

The startup sound is part of ROM, and cannot be changed nor eliminated.

macboi1981

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2003
Minnesota
the answer . . .

is to hold down the mute (F3) key during startup. This will mute the startup sound but not adjust sound settings while running the computer. ;)

1st post

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
Originally posted by NavyIntel007
Anyone have a hack to change the sound?

As was mentioned above, the sound cannot be changed. The chime is part of the Mac boot-Rom. I have seen many a switcher complain that they didn't like it, asking to turn it off.

Dan

Eckslusive

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 12, 2002
Originally posted by voicegy
Stick a pair of headphones in the jack...or buy a really cheap throwaway pair of 'phones and cut the end off and only use the jack.

I've decided to cut off this $1 headphones and i've cute off the jack. Its great now. No more loud noise during startup. I wouldn't mind if it was a quieter sound, but its so damn loud. even if i do put the volume near the lowest bar.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.