Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Unnamed1

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2005
Recently I followed the Azureus Wiki on how to get around the NAT errors and allow traffic to be routed directly through the firewall to my computer.

I used Azureus and everything seemed fine but today I opened up my console log and all I got constanly was the below attempts from a variety of IP's:

May 20 15:01:03 Mac ipfw: Stealth Mode connection attempt to UDP 192.168.2.4:65000 from xx.xx.xx.xxx:49200

Basically can they do anything? The port is on stealth and Azureus had finished and was closed but this was still happening?

Anyone have any advice?

G99

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2006
Did you add the X's, or is the log like that? If you know the IP address of the "attacker", you could whois them, to find out exactly who, and what they are.

Unnamed1

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2005
G99 said:
Did you add the X's, or is the log like that? If you know the IP address of the "attacker", you could whois them, to find out exactly who, and what they are.

I added the x's as the ip's that were doing it were changing all the time...

The thing is I used port forwarding from my router to port 65000 and that was the port they kept hitting - basically imagine the log snippet above repeated every second with a different ip?

I turned port forwarding off now and the logs have stopped

What could they have possibly been doing?

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
Well, Azureus is a BitTorrent client. BitTorrent lets people download recent items from each other. You've probably downloaded a popular torrent and are currently registered as having that item available.

Unnamed1

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2005
gekko513 said:
Well, Azureus is a BitTorrent client. BitTorrent lets people download recent items from each other. You've probably downloaded a popular torrent and are currently registered as having that item available.

yeah it was an episode of family guy :)

the thing is, can they actually do anything?

In the Azureus Wiki it tells you to set-up the system like this to get around the NAT errors but if everyone knows that port is open and people keep hitting it isn't that a bit silly?

I don't know too much about networking, but if Azureus has been closed since yesterday and people are still hitting me won't that be detrimental to my connection?

If so is there anyway to stop it?

Many thanks for all the replies so far :)

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
Unnamed1 said:
If so is there anyway to stop it?

Many thanks for all the replies so far :)
It should stop by itself when your entry becomes outdated, until you download something else that is popular.

When you download something you're supposed to help out others afterwards like this. It's common curtesy. The BitTorrent system is self regulating.

Oh, and remember to keep it legal. I don't think Family Guy is copyright free.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.