Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Danny Boyle's Steve Jobs film continued its awards season wins last night, with Kate Winslet taking home the Best Supporting Actress award at The British Academy of Film and Television Arts on Sunday (via The Guardian). Winslet dedicated her win at the BAFTA ceremony to women who are the subject of unjustified body shame criticism, which she faced as a young woman trying to break into the industry.

kate-winslet-BAFTA-800x480.jpg
"When I was younger, when I was 14, I was told by a drama teacher that I might do OK if I was happy to settle for the fat girl parts," Winslet said. "So what I always feel in these moments is that any young woman who has ever been put down by a teacher, by a friend, by even a parent, just don't listen to any of it, because that's what I did - I kept on going and I overcame my fears and got over my insecurities."
Winslet won for Best Supporting Actress at the Golden Globes in January as well, while Steve Jobs screenwriter Aaron Sorkin won for Best Screenplay. With a Golden Globe and now a BAFTA win, Winslet is set up to be a likely winner at the 88th Academy Awards taking place Sunday, February 28. At the Oscars, she will face all of the same actresses she beat at the BAFTA ceremony: Jennifer Jason Leigh (The Hateful Eight), Rooney Mara (Carol), and Alicia Vikander (Ex Machina), with the addition of Rachel McAdams (Spotlight).

Steve Jobs, which faced a troubled theatrical run following its poor box office performance, will be released on Blu-Ray, DVD, and Digital HD tomorrow, February 16.

Article Link: 'Steve Jobs' Award Wins Continue for Kate Winslet at BAFTA Ceremony

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
It was a great movie, so much better than that Kutcher flick. Very strong performances all round with the strong script make a killer combo.

It really didn't matter that Fassbender didn't look like Jobs as everyone here was saying when the casting was announced.

Looking forward to watching this one again in the near future.

EedyBeedyBeeps

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2013
USA
Alicia Vikander is the experts' prediction at goldderby.com. She has the benefit of two acclaimed performances in the same year. She's nominated for 'The Danish Girl' but not 'Ex Machina.' Some Academy members could want to reward her for her performances in both films.

Winslet has the "disadvantage" of being Kate Winslet. She's on-pace to be the next Meryl Streep in terms of Oscar nominations (and I believe she has the record for the most nominations by an actress under 30 y/o--not that she's still of that age group). She's won "only" once. She will have plenty more nominations in her career, so there's no urgency to give her a second Oscar yet. I personally thinks she deserves an Oscar for 'Steve Jobs,' but I don't think I'd put money on her to be the winner at the end of the month...

fitshaced

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2011
Who cares about awards for acting other than actors? I don't know why these things get so much attention other than to grab more viewings. No-one cares about my yearly performance review, thankfully.

Reactions: Mactendo

Mactendo

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2012
So what I always feel in these moments is that any young woman who has ever been put down by a teacher, by a friend, by even a parent, just don't listen to any of it, because that's what I did - I kept on going and I overcame my fears and got over my insecurities.
If it was that easy. There are dozens if not hundreds of thousands of perfectly fine and secure girls and boys who still work as waiters and settle for the zombies parts in background.

jdillings

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2015
Kate Winslet is a fine actress, and she did well with this role. But i'm not sure it's worth all the awards shes getting. It's not really a standout role. There have been far better and more interesting performances this year.

These are British awards. She's British. Do the math. She has zero chance of an Oscar.

Reactions: EedyBeedyBeeps
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.