Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Carniphage

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Sheffield, England
Now it appears that Macs are getting an App Store. So does that mean the creators of Angry Birds will have to write for the touch/iphone, iPad and now Mac if they want Angry Birds on the Mac or will the Mac have some type of emu to handle it?

The App store for the Mac is for Mac applications. Not for iOS apps.

C.

Syk

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
Ok thanks..

I know the OS are different but in theory couldn't the same developer write for both or is there some criteria that the app must be to be hosted in the Mac App Store like no more of those fart apps.

I just used Angry Birds because it's popular. I could see them porting it over to the Mac OS if they thought it would sell.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Now it appears that Macs are getting an App Store. So does that mean the creators of Angry Birds will have to write for the touch/iphone, iPad and now Mac if they want Angry Birds on the Mac or will the Mac have some type of emu to handle it?

Yes, they would have to code different versions for the OS's and screen sizes.

Although they might have made it fairly resolution independent, since they have also already ported it to Android.

This is an excellent example of the kind of interactive app where a write-once, run-anywhere tool like Flash would really be economical for developers.

Carniphage

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Sheffield, England
This is an excellent example of an interactive app where a write-once, run-anywhere tool like Flash would really be economical for developers.

It is.

But some people think that applications are at their best when the designer hand-crafts an interface for...
A known screen-size
A known screen resolution
A known input method

And that one-size-fits-all application development tends to suck on all platforms equally.

C.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Personally I'm amused at the whole you-know-what envy of this war. Jobs states that bigger is better comparing his nearly 10" unit to the smaller 7"'s I'm waiting for the competition to strike back with "it's not the size - it's how you use it"

kdarling

macrumors P6
Speaking of different screen sizes, and this might not be the best thread for it, but did y'all see the new Galaxy Player competitor to the iPod touch?

3.2" 800x480 Super AMOLED, WiFi, 2MP camera, GPS, FM radio, native DivX support, Android Market access, etc. Oh, and microSD expansion.

Selling now in France for €200 for the 8GB and €250 for 16GB.

YouTube video ad here

Bytor65

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2010
Canada
Speaking of different screen sizes, and this might not be the best thread for it, but did y'all see the new Galaxy Player competitor to the iPod touch?

3.2" 800x480 Super AMOLED, WiFi, 2MP camera, GPS, FM radio, native DivX support, Android Market access, etc. Oh, and microSD expansion.

Selling now in France for €200 for the 8GB and €250 for 16GB.

YouTube video ad here

If they do a 5" model I might be interested, but the Touch already has a too small screen IMO.

kdarling

macrumors P6
But it's good there's an iPod touch competitor at last.

Yeah, the guys over at Cult of Mac seem to like it.

Something isn't right though. They reported the 800x480 screen, but I've also seen 400x320 mentioned. Not sure which it really is.

Strike anyone as a bit on the thick side?

1/10" (2.3mm) thicker than an iPod touch. Apparently it has a removable 1500mAh battery, as compared to the <1000mAh in the touch.

Carniphage

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Sheffield, England
Yeah, the guys over at Cult of Mac
1/10" (2.3mm) thicker than an iPod touch. Apparently it has a removable 1500mAh battery, as compared to the <1000mAh in the touch.

Looks a *lot* thicker than that in the videos.

zl6fpc.jpg

C.

burgundyyears

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
Yeah, the guys over at Cult of Mac seem to like it.

Something isn't right though. They reported the 800x480 screen, but I've also seen 400x320 mentioned. Not sure which it really is.

According to these reports, it's a 400x240 WQVGA panel. Yawn. The Zune HD has a more impressive screen.

http://video.yahoo.com/watch/8206705/21796196
http://www.siftwire.com/samsung-galaxy-player-50-yp-g50-portable-media-player.html

Also, dimension comparison:

iPT4: 111x58.9x7.2mm
YP-G50: 105.5x54.2x11.1 mm.

It's almost 50% thicker than even the original Touch. No wonder it looks chunky in the videos. Heck, it's thicker than the iPod Classic.

burgundyyears

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
the iPad has a huge bezel. A future 13" inch screen version could fit in the same body, and the current 9.7" could get a smaller body.

That's where I think we're heading.

I hope not. The bezel is there for a reason. Eliminate the bezel and it will get a lot harder to use and hold. Note all the later arriving competitors have around the same bezel even on 7" screens.

Syk

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
HP Slate $800..
The HP Slate 500 Tablet PC
1.86GHz Intel Atom Z540 processor
2GB RAM and a 64GB SSD,
Broadcom accelerator for 1080p video,
USB port, HDMI-out, a hardware Ctrl-Alt-Delete switch, a button to activate the on-screen keyboard and a pair of cameras, one on the back for photos and one on the front for Skyping.
Windows7

ETA: It does look badass but I personally can't see myself spending $800 but I'm sure others will

Syk

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
the iPad has a huge bezel. A future 13" inch screen version could fit in the same body, and the current 9.7" could get a smaller body.

That's where I think we're heading.

If they could put the 9.7" in a smaller body and give the user plenty of bezel space and making it a little easier for one hand reading and use the current body for a 13" & giving them enough bezel space then I think these other Tablets are going to be in for a long road.

Who knows maybe that's where the 7" ipad2 came from

Next time I'm in BestBuy I'm going to look at the iPad again and see if they bezel could be reduced. It has to be big enough so that you don't accidentally press any of the icons.

netdoc66

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2007
New Jersey
MEh,..

This call was designed to dispel the rumors so they can milk up some sales for their crappy MBA. Don't you know Apple designs ALL of their communications? How is this any different than a keynote? Hoard them into buying crap they don't need and then reveal, "just one more shiny thing" to confuse them into buying more crap they don't need= Profit?!?!?!? And the monkey swipes his card...

Apple has succumb to the dark side and is loving every moment of it.

pr5owner

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2007
Too small to be a tablet but good enough for phone applications and games. It's also a rather painful browser experience but good enough for when I absolutely have to use the web for something.

i specifically remember someone saying browsing the web on the iphone was the best experience.

Carniphage

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Sheffield, England
i specifically remember someone saying browsing the web on the iphone was the best experience.

This is not a complicated argument.

9.7" gives enough screen real-estate do display whole readable web-pages without zooming.

It allows the viewing and editing of business documents at near full-size.

It allows the viewing of virtual magazines and comics that are close to their real-world equivalent.

A half-screen the size of a paperback book does not. And neither does a phone or an iPod touch.

However, the iPod touch and the iPhone are genuinely pocket-sized devices.

A 7" device is not big enough for a large number of applications, but too large to be pocketable. It's stuck in the middle. Doubly compromised.

C.

Syk

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
Now we're talking although I think it should start at $450. Where did you see BB would be selling the wifi only version?

I found out something a few days ago and that's Android can't connect to a ADHOC wifi setup. Is that fixed in 2.2 or going to be fixed? One other thing that sucks is no Netflix app

If not then I can't think about an Android Tablet. My plan is to tether my jailbroke iphone to whatever I get whether it's an iPad2, Tab, Adam,PlayBook or whatever else announced.

Bytor65

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2010
Canada
A 7" device is not big enough for a large number of applications, but too large to be pocketable. It's stuck in the middle. Doubly compromised.

Which is exactly the argument I made when people were suggesting there would be 7" ipads. 7" does nothing very well.

I want both a 5" pocket device and 10"+ full page device. I don't want a device stuck in the middle that is neither pocketable, nor big enough to do a credible full page display (even the iPad is a tad small IMO).

The Samsung may sell well to the "won't buy Apple" crowd, since it seems to be the only alternative so far that is reasonably well built.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
This is not a complicated argument.

9.7" gives enough screen real-estate do display whole readable web-pages without zooming.

It allows the viewing and editing of business documents at near full-size.

It allows the viewing of virtual magazines and comics that are close to their real-world equivalent.

A half-screen the size of a paperback book does not. And neither does a phone or an iPod touch.

However, the iPod touch and the iPhone are genuinely pocket-sized devices.

C.

Only in a side pocket. But a 7" can in the inside pocket of a jacket. 10" tablet does not.
7" tablet is small enough to be tossed in the out side pocket of a back pack or out side pockets of a bag. 10" iPad is to large for that.

7" tablet fit in this middle ground were you need something larger than an iPod but smaller than iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.