Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

georgB

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2004
Europe
The knee-jerk reactionary nature of the mac community is becoming tiresome. Jobs was just a man. I heard no one complaining about contests and prizes and the law yesterday. But toss in some absurd notion that Steve Jobs wanted to do it and couldn't and you all gather round in your tweed slacks and offer up your wise opinions. It's become a boring game. "how to turn absolutely anything into a pro apple/steve jobs bore-fest."

blah
You're so eager to flame that you've totally missed the point. There's not one post here saying that Jobs was unfairly singled out and punished. You didn't hear any complaining about the laws yesterday because there was nothing in the news about those laws yesterday. This Jobs anecdote (which only came out today) revealed as much about the law as about Jobs, and I bet most people didn't know anything about the California laws.

I could willfully misinterpret what you say as implying that you believe any law which frustrates Apple or the "reactionary mac community" is thereby a good law. But that would be a willful misinterpretation, and needlessly inflammatory, so I won't do it.

can.rules

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2008
Has anyone ever won after sending in one of those mailed entries?

I have. There was this Pepsi contest where they were raffling one iPod (20G white iPods -- now would be considered 'classics' ) every hour by submitting pins from a pepsi bottle. You could also get pins for free from the pepsi website. It was pretty easy to win at odd hours. I remember setting up the alarm to wake up at 3am to submit pins, and sure enough in a few days I won.

There were accounts on the web of folks that won multiple iPods that way.

This was the start of my :apple: addiction!

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
There is an old saying "Don't steal, the government hates competition." The government does not want competition in the lottery business.

I also remember a political cartoon that goes like this:
Kid: Dad, I want to work in organized crime when I grow up.
Father: Public or private sector?

orthorim

Suspended
Feb 27, 2008
If this were legal, everyone would be able to start lotteries. Apple's contest might look legitimate but you can sell $5 paper clips with a chance to win a million dollars.

+1

I was just thinking about how to word this when I found your post. Exactly!

eharley

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2007
No purchase necessary because otherwise it allows lotteries. Many small organizations (PTAs, etc) get away with this because they fly under the radar. Apple would not.

Now, just because no purchase is necessary doesn't mean that everyone's odds would be equal. In drawings, typically, the no-purchase necessary entries are represented by a single ticket among the others that represent the purchased entries.

Then if the no-purchase necessary ticket is drawn, a separate drawing is held among those entries. So the odds of winning are minuscule compared to the purchased entry.

farmboy

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2003
Minnesota
In this case I agree with you. But what this law is trying to prevent is from anybody else starting a lottery (which is done by the state). They basically passed this law so that they could have a monopoly on lotteries.

Not really. The promotion Apple wanted to do is a lottery, which has a prize, an element of chance, and you have to pay something (consideration). There are federal laws covering lotteries, because it is a form of gambling, and there has been a history of abuses. And these laws exist in most states and nations, and have been in place for at least 40+ years, long before lotteries became a means of fundraising.

The other type of contest is sweepstakes, in which there is a prize, an element of chance, but no consideration is required.

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
and I still haven't found the golden ticket!

This could have been the MacRumors headline back in the day. :apple:

I got my Rev. B iMac just about at the right time. Could been me :). Better yet, I still have it, and it still runs (had to replace the HD though). Maybe I have to take the power supply out to find the ticket...

Which does raise an interesting point, which I've not seen anyone ask here yet:

....so just what was the S/N of that Mac, and do we (and they!) know who actually got it?

-hh

HyperX13

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2009
You got downvoted, but it really is. Who is harmed by this law not existing? What reasonable person would be offended by having to purchase a product to be entered into a contest?

No one benefits from a silly law like this. I'm sure there's some theoretical antitrust mumbo jumbo someone can come up with to justify it, but come on. All it did was ruin a really fun idea.

My two friends would disagree. They work hard, yet can't afford a mac. They should be able to enter such contests for free. As a matter of fact, they should be given macs for free!!

20jlhz5.jpg

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
I was thinking about Ballmer doing the same, imagine, getting that ticket and burning it out!!!! I do not wanna meet him no, NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

LMAO! So true. I'm really having a hard time figuring out why my comment got negged 11 times.

I mean really, Steve Jobs as Willy Wonka over Steve Ballmer;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGvHNNOLnCk

????

----------

I remember going to see Mr.Beans Holiday at the Movies, and the Cinema ticket said "Mr.Beans Ho".

I thought "Trying to be a bit edgy there Mr.Bean eh?" :D

tumblr_lbnmj1PL911qa6uono1_500.jpg

ardent73

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2010
For those born yesterday...

California is full of crap laws that screw up the rest of the country!

Gambling in any form has been regulated in western civilization for the past 5000 years or so. Roman soldiers caught gambling their salary (salt ration) were crucified!

Just be glad :apple: doesn't have to have USDA inspections... :D

Ingot

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2010
You think thats bad? Try living in Ontario, Canada. Bylaws here are rampant, they make life a sterile nightmare. It doesnt help that Canadians are passive either, the government says jump, Canadians say 'how high?'

Not that I am disagreeing with you (I am from Sask) but can you give an example or two?

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
Didn't Willy Wonka give his factory to Charlie at the end of that story?

Yes he did and the Gene Wilder movie was one of Steve's favorite. While, Tim Cook is now the head of Apple, all of Steve positions are not filled and some intentionally kept unfilled.

Apple no longer has a public figure with fanatical devotion that authorized Carte blanche over the entire organization. Steve passionately wanted someone to replace himself. Most of all, he wanted a non-Apple employee come in to keep kicking places to keep it innovating. He had a few outsiders in mind, most were career entrepreneurs that refused to work for him.

The Apple board had other ideas.

Thus, for the past six months "Steve's people" have dwindled through the company, some dismissed with diamond parachutes and others just told to get out or they'd be in a lot of trouble since Steve was no longer around. Thus, what I see of Apple is how Ford and HP "matured" that is the existing upper management won't have a new figure head but make their founders larger than live so they can shape the legacy and mystique for their own needs.

Quem loquitur deos habet realis potentia!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.