Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iChrist

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2011
3 countries for tax benefit
It's impossible to separate Steve's rejection of cancer treatment from his brilliance as an innovator and CEO.

A more risk averse guy, with less of a sense of drive and infallibility would have got the operation sooner. But a more risk averse guy wouldn't have taken on the job of Apple CEO for a second time and rebuilt the company.

If a parallel universe was inhabited by 'sensible Steve' who got the cancer op immediately, I'm pretty sure that none of us would have heard of him. What sort of sensible person would continue to work long hours, if they had a great family sitting at home and a billion already in the bank? I wouldn't!

So this 'stupidity' is just the flip side of the coin of Steve's brilliant personality. Yes, he died sooner than he should have - but he also accomplished more during that time than most of us ever will.

Demi-god/paid-user, you stole your thinking from the "Tapestry" episode of TNG. But is perhaps slightly true. Dramatic, but small truth perhaps.

AaronEdwards

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
Well you just never know. My wife's uncle had pancreatic cancer. When discovered, he went with the most aggressive treatment regimen. The treatment killed the cancer but it also destroyed his liver and he ultimately died from liver failure. So the fact that he was "cancer free" was kind of moot.

Your wife's uncle most likely didn't have the same kind of pancreatic cancer as Jobs, the regular one kills 50% within 10 months. The one Jobs had has a lot better survival rates.

Dragula22

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2009
It's impossible to separate Steve's rejection of cancer treatment from his brilliance as an innovator and CEO.

A more risk averse guy, with less of a sense of drive and infallibility would have got the operation sooner. But a more risk averse guy wouldn't have taken on the job of Apple CEO for a second time and rebuilt the company.

If a parallel universe was inhabited by 'sensible Steve' who got the cancer op immediately, I'm pretty sure that none of us would have heard of him. What sort of sensible person would continue to work long hours, if they had a great family sitting at home and a billion already in the bank? I wouldn't!

So this 'stupidity' is just the flip side of the coin of Steve's brilliant personality. Yes, he died sooner than he should have - but he also accomplished more during that time than most of us ever will.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
Man, he could have been saved. :(

Or it may have made no difference.

Or the surgeon might have made a mistake on that particular day and killed him on the operating table.

There's no point speculating about such things in life. It probably took a lot for him to get to the point where he could allow himself to be "violated" as he called it. If he hadn't dealt with that the way he did in those 9 months, he may never have had the surgery and died years ago.

Ultimately, he did what he had to do.

M87

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2009
I think Steve lived a very fulfilling life and accomplished more than most could even dream of. Everyone can say they could've done something differently at some point and things would've turned out better. Maybe this whole thing made him even more focused and determined though. The iPhone and iPad came in the wake of the cancer after all.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD

Good point, but doesn't completely explain it. For one, Jobs mentions his aversion to it was having something invade his body (seems to invoke the whole "body is a temple" idea). That fear is not common and most would argue is not grounded in logic. However, if you look at the products he was responsible for, there was logic in all of them. Whether they were catering to ergonomics, design or Apple's bottom line, everything had a lot of attention to detail.

Steve was about taking risks with reward. Not having your body opened for surgery with a relatively low risk of adverse affects is not a clear reward like all the other rewards he was laser focused on.

alpinadvl

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2008
I am very curious what "medical profession" you are a part of? Cancer can rarely if ever be considered "curable".... especially with any form of pancreatic cancer! Better survival rate, maybe. But not cured..

yes, in general, you are definitely correct...

from cancer.gov :

"...Islet cell tumors can often be cured...."

ps: read your follow-up post after posting this... agree with what you wrote. bottom line is, Steve prevented himself from having an opportunity to a much better course of the disease had he gotten proper medical treatment earlier. (medical field: emergency med)

Last edited:

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Hard to believe that somebody so intelligent and with access to the best surgeons did not take advantage of that. He made it through so many things in life on sheer will -- I suppose that can train your way of thinking to be unprepared for something like cancer. Unfortunately his change of heart came a little too late. We never will know if earlier surgery would have saved his life, but it might have given him a better chance. In the end, surgery is an extremely personal decision.

I think the mistake that people are making here is to judge someone's personal decision with the easy benefit of hindsight.

He is not the first person in the world to have considerable reservations against invasive surgery, and he probably thought that alternative treatments could solve the problem, especially for fear of anesthetic shock or the like.

From personal and family experience, I can vouch for the fact that, in certain cases, hetherodox methods MAY work, especially when the person has strong faith in the cure of an illness.

In his case it didn't work, unfortunately; but to call someone stupid because of that judgment is also to disbelieve in something bigger and longer-lasting than this corporeal life.

In the end, most of us deny our own stated beliefs about afterlife (well, at least the great majority of the Western world based on monotheistic faiths), simply because of our weak, fallible and materialistic nature.

"On the book", most of us should be happy because he is supposedly in a better place. In practice, this understanding is much more difficult to achieve...

AaronEdwards

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
They didn't say 5% die from complication. They said that 5% of pancreatic cancers are this slow growing type and that is what he had. He could have seen that as a blessing and used it to his advantage.

5% die from the surgery. Now, Steve Jobs would most likely, due to his wealth, have had a great team of surgeons perform his surgery and the best care in the world, which most likely would have meant that the chance of him dying on the table or due to complications would have been a lot less likely.

I would have liked to hear more on Steve's thoughts of the medical industry. At least medical / insurance industry has it's problems and reminds me of Windows 95. It needs a Steve Jobs type person to fix it, I suppose.

As long as that person isn't an advocate for alternative medicine...

----

It's very sad that Jobs when faced with his most important decision ever, chose the wrong option and had to pay for it dearly.

Old Muley

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
Titletown USA
What's the harm?

What's the harm with alternative medicine? Plenty. Had Steve gone the science-based medicine route from the start, we probably wouldn't be having this conversation.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Your wife's uncle most likely didn't have the same kind of pancreatic cancer as Jobs, the regular one kills 50% within 10 months. The one Jobs had has a lot better survival rates.

Sorry if my question is stupid, but...if everyone knows that this kind of cancer leads to death, why not just extract the cancerous parts and get on with it? You know where it is, so you should be able to throw it away...so why not?

Or is the pancreas one of the "essential" organs for the human body?

cohibadad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2007
The sad truth is that modern medicine acts like operating earlier would have been the cure and this was an opportunity lost and they have nothing to back this up. If he had operated earlier and still died the excuse would have been that the cure isn't 100%. And even though Steve had a liver transplant he still died, most likely in my opinion, from complications resulting from the transplant and anti-rejection medications. So, he dies from a disease or he dies from the treatment and if he doesn't take the recommended treatment they act like he blew it. This is B.S.

My wife had a teacher diagnosed with pancreatic cancer before Steve. He was given 6 months to live. They opened him up and could not even operate due to what they found. He treated this by diet alone, which sounds similar to Steve, and this man is alive today and not suffering from all the problems related to surgical resection, transplant and medication.

We are all gonna die. That is the simple truth.

Drag'nGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2008
I had my hands on the book last night. I was in Walmart and saw it on the bookshelf. I tried to buy it but the register wouldn't let it go through. :mad: I wanted it a few days earlier for a trip.

Exponent

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
Silicon Valley
Brilliant people do dumb things. Comparative to the religious parents that refuse treatment for an ailing child.

Just to be clear, it is only an extremely small percentage of fringe religions - primarily, to my memory, "Church of Christ, Scientist" - that reject science-based, ethically and morally applied medical treatment. When you take their size - 85,000 worldwide, compared to the overwhelming non-atheist world population of 7,000,000,000 , this is the most minor of statistical noise.

(I've notice bigotry against the religious come up more frequently here on the forums, I'm just trying to make sure it stays nipped in the bud....)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
You can be a little too foolish.

----------

The sad truth is that modern medicine acts like operating earlier would have been the cure and this was an opportunity lost and they have nothing to back this up.

8 years ago I taught one of my neighbours how to use a computer. He wanted to learn quickly because he was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer (I believe it was anyways) so he could set up a little family website and send/receive emails with family abroad.
He was operated on very early and survived, still alive today to the best of my knowledge.
Modern medicine works. They're quick to cut up because that's the best way to deal with this issue. He told me then and I've heard it time and time again from cancer survivors - 'cancer will take everything from you, throw everything at it'.

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
Sorry if my question is stupid, but...if everyone knows that this kind of cancer leads to death, why not just extract the cancerous parts and get on with it? You know where it is, so you should be able to throw it away...so why not?

Or is the pancreas one of the "essential" organs for the human body?

Some people do live without a pancreas. It usually requires an insulin pump and enzymes taken with all food. You basically become the worst possible Type I diabetes case without it.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Some people do live without a pancreas. It usually requires an insulin pump and enzymes taken with all food. You basically become the worst possible Type I diabetes case without it.

So let me ask that stupid question again: why is such a cancer deadly - can't you just extract the whole tissue and get on with your life (even without a pancreas)?

divinox

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2011
Fired up one of those Mac+ (assuming that is what Jobs has in his lap) today. Good stuff, still worked. To bad it'll end up in the trash eventually.

We dug up one of these babies too,

Macintosh_portable.jpg

No idea if it's still running though.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
The sad truth is that modern medicine acts like operating earlier would have been the cure and this was an opportunity lost and they have nothing to back this up. If he had operated earlier and still died the excuse would have been that the cure isn't 100%. And even though Steve had a liver transplant he still died, most likely in my opinion, from complications resulting from the transplant and anti-rejection medications. So, he dies from a disease or he dies from the treatment and if he doesn't take the recommended treatment they act like he blew it. This is B.S.
You can not have an opinion as to Steve's death. You have absolutely none of the crucial knowledge to determine how he died. You weren't his doctor, you don't have access to his charts or medical records, and I presume you didn't know him personally.

All of the evidence presented to the public has been conclusive: he died from cancer. There are no reasonable grounds to doubt what was put on his death certificate.

My wife had a teacher diagnosed with pancreatic cancer before Steve. He was given 6 months to live. They opened him up and could not even operate due to what they found. He treated this by diet alone, which sounds similar to Steve, and this man is alive today and not suffering from all the problems related to surgical resection, transplant and medication.
You're missing part of the story. Diet cannot cure cancer. Perhaps he went into remission, which is great, but it's not the result of what he ate. If he decided not to seek any medical treatment for his pancreatic cancer and is still alive, then the same would be true if he ate nothing but potato chips and hamburgers for the past five years.

If alternative medicine worked, it wouldn't be alternative.

----------

It's my understanding that it's a very difficult operation to perform; there's a lot of anatomy near the pancreas. It's hard to remove the cancer without removing a lot, lot more. And removing pieces of the pancreas (or even the whole pancreas) can result in additional health problems (though, these are decidedly less bad than the cancer).

It's also worth remembering that pancreatic cancer doesn't present itself early. By the time a victim is exhibiting symptoms it's usually spread beyond the pancreas.

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
So let me ask that stupid question again: why is such a cancer deadly - can't you just extract the whole tissue and get on with your life (even without a pancreas)?

They do sometimes. You would be making a choice - taking a chance on maybe the cancer being cured or going into remission for a long time, and leading a pretty normal life, or pulling the pancreas and starting the slow countdown to a diabetes complications related death.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.