Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
After using the new MBP for the past few days, I've decided to stick with my 12 inch MacBook. All in all pretty disappointed with the new MacBook pros, the 12 inch gets a bit slower for some stuff but its also super portable with no noise.

myscrnnm

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
That makes sense. The Retina MacBook and MacBook Pro are different machines made for different users. My girlfriend has a Retina MacBook for personal use, and came from using a MacBook Air. I could never see her needing or wanting the new MBP (or any MBP for that matter) over her current computer. I always felt that the rMB, not the non-Touch Bar MBP, was the real successor to the MBA. Apple should have dubbed the rMB the MacBook Air, released the non-Touch Bar MBP as simply a "MacBook," and reserved the Pro moniker for the Touch Bar MacBook Pros.

The Retina MacBooks are great devices, solid and straightforward laptops that can be taken just about anywhere. But I think there is still a market for the 2016 MacBook Pros. I personally need that extra processing power and increased connectivity.

evec

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2016
The only problem of MB12 is only one ports, and all included the Apple expensive one cannot provide good and reliability function for change and use other USB device together.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
That makes sense. The Retina MacBook and MacBook Pro are different machines made for different users. My girlfriend has a Retina MacBook for personal use, and came from using a MacBook Air. I could never see her needing or wanting the new MBP (or any MBP for that matter) over her current computer. I always felt that the rMB, not the non-Touch Bar MBP, was the real successor to the MBA. Apple should have dubbed the rMB the MacBook Air, released the non-Touch Bar MBP as simply a "MacBook," and reserved the Pro moniker for the Touch Bar MacBook Pros.

The Retina MacBooks are great devices, solid and straightforward laptops that can be taken just about anywhere. But I think there is still a market for the 2016 MacBook Pros. I personally need that extra processing power and increased connectivity.

Yeah i think they should have made the rMB the new Air, the rMBP non touch the mid teir Macbook, and made the touchbar machine the Pro with all the legacy ports included and a better Dedicated GPU ect.

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
The only problem of MB12 is only one ports, and all included the Apple expensive one cannot provide good and reliability function for change and use other USB device together.

I have only used that port for charging...everything is wireless.

That being said, I am sure if I see the touchbar ill whip that amex out and make an impulsive decision.

Reactions: aristobrat

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
After using the new MBP for the past few days, I've decided to stick with my 12 inch MacBook. All in all pretty disappointed with the new MacBook pros, the 12 inch gets a bit slower for some stuff but its also super portable with no noise.

Going to return the base 13" 2016?

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Yeah, either that or give it to my sister for christmas.

ill be your sister, and it can be christmas right now!

but seriously, if you only need one port and are disappointed, will touchbar model really make you super excited all of a sudden?

or you're just missing lack of new feature off the bat? curious,

plus you'd go from a ULV proc to an actual middle road spec skylike laptop proc, if you go touchbar

Reactions: lympero and hj576

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
ill be your sister, and it can be christmas right now!

but seriously, if you only need one port and are disappointed, will touchbar model really make you super excited all of a sudden?

or you're just missing lack of new feature off the bat? curious,

plus you'd go from a ULV proc to an actual middle road spec skylike laptop proc, if you go touchbar

I ordered the 15 inch with touchbar specc'd out as well. The footprint if 20% smaller is really a lot will impress me.

Reactions: thadoggfather

Acronyc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
I use a 12" 2016 rMB as my on the go machine and it's a fantastic little computer. It can almost do everything I need and my wife has one as well, which meets all her needs and is her sole computer. I used the 2015 model before and have loved the 12" for the past 1.5 years.

It can't be my only machine, though, and I want to try and downsize the number of Macs I have (4 right now) so I ordered a non-touch bar 13" rMBP to see if it can replace three of my Macs (2016 rMB, 2014 mini, and 2012 15" rMBP). It's arriving on Saturday and I ordered it with 16GB of RAM and 512GB SSD.

The main reasons I'm seeing if I can move to the new non-touch bar rMBP from the 12":

- Thunderbolt ports, meaning I can hook it up to my eGPU (just added a Geforce GTX 1050 Ti ) and monitors at work and home
- Faster overall
- An additional port, which helps when I'm on the move
- Bigger screen with minimal increase in weight (about +400 grams)
- Don't need the touch bar version because I'm in desktop mode 80% of the time (27" monitor is more important than a touch bar for me)

Looking forward to seeing how it goes.

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
They said 20%, thats what I thought I heard.
The new 15-inch MacBook Pro, at 15.5 mm thin, is 14% thinner and 20% less volume than before, and weighing 4 pounds, is nearly half a pound lighter. Footprint can't change that much, if you want to keep screen size.

Last edited:
Reactions: myscrnnm

dasb0t

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2016
Finland

I am considering switch from 12" rMB to new non touch bar 13" Pro mainly because of the screen realestate, battery and keyboard. Did you find the keyboard much better in MBP than in MB? What about the battery life compared to MB in your use?

Trey M

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2011
USA
Save ur money, MBP is essentially just the rMB with slightly larger screen
And a significantly more powerful processor, superior battery life, Thunderbolt 3 ports (huge difference), superior screen technology, better speakers, the list goes on.
[doublepost=1478811115][/doublepost]

I'm stuck deciding between keeping my rMB or indulging on a MBP. I am leaning towards the 13'' TouchBar model. The differences are pretty significant; the only thing holding me back is obviously the form-factor of the rMB, which is fantastic. But with the new Macbook only weighing as much as the Air with a smaller footprint, I don't know if the slightly smaller form-factor is worth all the sacrifices.

Reactions: myscrnnm

myscrnnm

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
I don't think you understand quite how different the non-Touch Bar MacBook Pro and Retina MacBook are. Their CPUs aren't even in the same class. The Retina MacBook utilizes an ultra-low power 4.5W Core M processor, which uses so little energy the computer doesn't even require a fan to operate. The non-Touch Bar MBP on the other hand uses a 15W Core i5, which is on par with a lot of consumer level notebooks these days, including the Surface Pro 4. It also has twice as many USB ports as the rMB. The LCD panel is also far brighter, being the same one used in the Touch Bar models, and is able to display a wider gamut of colors.

I'm sure a lot of light users will not notice a difference in the processing power of the two, and for those people they should definitely opt for the Retina MacBook, as it's around $200 cheaper and is considerably lighter and slimmer than the MBP, but they are two very different machines for different people.

Acronyc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011

I'm moving to the new non touch bar 13" MBP from a 2016 rMB. Faster CPU, way faster GPU, faster SSD, thunderbolt so I can hook it up to my TBD and don't need to buy a new monitor, more ports, and the fan doesn't even turn on in light load. If you don't need all this then yes, stick with the rMB. For example, my wife has a rMB and would never move to the new MBP because she values portability and weight above all and only has light usage. For me, the extras the new 13" MBP have allows me to use it as my main machine (selling my rMB and 2012 15" rMBP) while keeping a lot of portability.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
The rMB really is a nice laptop and is ultra-portable. I suspect lots of people will be surprised by just how capable a laptop it is.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I was in the same position and have decided to keep the pro. The 12" slowed down, UI lag, pretty frequently. I'm very sensitive to those things so it was a no brainer to keep the pro for me personally.

I think the GPU is 100% the cause for the lag I was experiencing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.