Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eRondeau

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2004
Canada's South Coast
Bought one the other day. Looks like it's never been used, absolutely flawless condition. Has a slightly bass-heavy sound but is nice and flat otherwise (they really tried to make this seem "hi-fi"!)

I don't think this is well-known, it definitely wasn't well advertised at the time, but when an iPod of that era was plugged into the 30-pin dock connector on the HiFi it utilized a special EQ curve designed to optimize the musicality of the pairing. Only worked thru the 30-pin. I've got one around somewhere but to my fading memory, a vintage iPod + HiFi sounded absolutely incredible together.

JSENNY25

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2008
Ohio
Literally just posted this! Didn't see you post.

Mods, if need be, feel free to delete my post if it doesn't contribute to the forums.

So nobody (not even my wife) would be excited about this so I had to post somewhere.

eBay offer was accepted for a gently used Apple Hi-Fi. I have wanted one of these for 10 years and finally pulled the trigger.

Super stoked.

I have a 30 GB iPod video just waiting for it!

Any other suggestions on how to best use this bad boy?

Post may be in the wrong spot but super excited.

JSENNY25

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2008
Ohio
So my wife missed the FedEx delivery of the Hi-FI. I guess taking care of the baby it more important.

Bummed but I guess I have waited this long for one.....

To go with the iPod video 5.5 (and a 4th gen) I want to play music from our iPhones and apple TV.

So, I have an airport express AND one of those bluetooth adapters. From what I understand AirPlay should be a better quality sound with an optical audio cable vs bluetooth (4.0) adapter.

Any thoughts?

weezin

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2012
Just picked up an iPod Hi-Fi on Craigslist locally. I've always loved the way these looked and was happy to get the opportunity to buy one. It was quite grimey when I picked it up, but am happy to say that after cleaning it, there are only a few very minor scratches. Very happy.

I'm planning on using it combined with an Airport Express (that I also picked up on CL for cheap) and streaming to it from my phone. The original plan was to put it in the garage (where I spend a lot of time)...but it's just so pretty looking. We'll see :)

One question...I have it hooked up to the Airport Express via a regular 3.5mm audio cable. Is there a benefit to using a Toslink cable as others have mentioned? If so, what is the benefit?

weezin

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2012
Just picked up an iPod Hi-Fi on Craigslist locally. I've always loved the way these looked and was happy to get the opportunity to buy one. It was quite grimey when I picked it up, but am happy to say that after cleaning it, there are only a few very minor scratches. Very happy.

I'm planning on using it combined with an Airport Express (that I also picked up on CL for cheap) and streaming to it from my phone. The original plan was to put it in the garage (where I spend a lot of time)...but it's just so pretty looking. We'll see :)

One question...I have it hooked up to the Airport Express via a regular 3.5mm audio cable. Is there a benefit to using a Toslink cable as others have mentioned? If so, what is the benefit?

So as it turns out, the Airport Express is too far away from my main router, which is causing the audio to be extremely choppy. Bummer! I either have to figure out a way to move it closer or use an alternative solution.

For the alternative solution: Bluetooth. Is there a generally recommended adapter that either uses the 30 pin plug or the aux-in on the back?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.