Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beav

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2001
Why do you apple people keep referring to the itanium as if itwere a consumer based product. For the CPU itself, it's well over 3000 dollars. It's not made to be apart of the Pentium family.
And you can't start pulling numbers from vaporware such as G5. No one knows how it will do. It won't even be released till next summer!

I agree wish mosez on the other post. I have a DP 500 and 600, and as soon as i am done with the modding, I'm going to pit my 1.6 side by side with the 600, using the same gfx card, (GF3) etc. I already know for a fact that my PC completely SMASHES the hell out of the apple in Quake 3, but that's not a reliable benchmark. I may end up putting BSD on the systems and making a fair benchmark, and testing it's true computational power. Yes, BSD has altivec optimizations so keep your panties on, I'm going to keep it as fair as possible.

spikey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2001
I suppose we do that because it is the only intel product that has a decent flops rating.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.