Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eclipse525

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 5, 2003
USA, New York
I need to come up with solid storage solution. At the moment I have a mishmash of drives that I have acquired to get me by but I really need to come up with something reliable. I need to have two separate drives. ONE for my graphic design business and the SECOND drive for all my music(side note: I dj and just converted a ridiculous amount of vinyl) and media files. I'm not sure if I should just get separate drives or if a Raid drive would come into play here? Below is sort of what I had in mind. I would totally appreciate any help/Wisdom that you would like to share.

Configuration:

On-site (graphic design):
(1) -OWC Mercury Elite Pro -AL RAID FW800 Drive Enclosure for 2 SATA Drives (containing two 500gb drives/individual)

On-site (Media-audio/video):
(1) -OWC Mercury Elite Pro -AL RAID FW800 Drive Enclosure for 2 SATA Drives (containing two 500gb drives/individual)

Off-site (graphic design & Media-audio/video):

My thinking behind this is that I have the main drives and a back up on-site and third multi-enclosure stored off-site. Which I would just update every few months.

Again, I'm not sure if this is the best way to do it but I welcome any criticism and suggestions. Thanks!

~e

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.