Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zeropede

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2016
The automatic "Store in Cloud" in OSX Sierra is a great feature, and I'd like to keep it, but I'm running into a problem: I work as a video editor and sometimes folders that I need locally get uploaded to the cloud. They're things like textures that the software accesses infrequently, but which I wouldn't know to download until the program malfunctioned after not finding them locally. Does anyone know if there is a way to exempt just certain folders from being automatically archived in the cloud? Possibly with a tag? If not, is there an Apple site to make this a feature request? It seems like a simple enough feature to add.

Thanks for any help!

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
I noticed that calling a folder "tmp" makes it ineligible for syncing. Not a good solution for you perhaps but at least gives hope that there are certain rules for exclusion.

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
I'd not go near this cloud service with a ten foot pole, but surely files kept outside of your user folder, or on another partition are not synced?

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
I'd not go near this cloud service with a ten foot pole, but surely files kept outside of your user folder, or on another partition are not synced?

Anything kept out Documents and Desktop isn't synced. It's called Document and Desktop sync.

Reactions: rugmankc

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
Anything kept out Documents and Desktop isn't synced. It's called Document and Desktop sync.
Thought so, but without proper documentation from Apple it's hard to be sure.
Too bad I use my desktop to keep temp files I don't ever want to back up.
They should add a control panel to let you customize the BU choices.
Might even use it then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.