Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spotsphill

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 26, 2009
I was wondering if anyone knows of how a jailbroken ATV 2 would be able to stream the olympics live? I have the NBC Olympics app for my iPhone and iPad, and I can also stream it from my computer and connect it to my TV via a cable, but I was wondering if there was a way to pull the feed in directly from the ATV 2?

Thanks.

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
Whenever mountain lion is released (rumor is this week) you can AirPlay directly from the computer to the apple tv.

Of course, that is assuming you have a 2011 or 2012 Mac computer. If you have an older Mac, you may want to try airparrot.

ckurt25

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Michigan, USA
NBC has an iOS app that will steam live events. NBC Olympics Live Extra - I'm not sure if it supports airplay but maybe it's an option.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
You can use Airplay mirroring to watch it using the NBC Extra app.

Attachments

• soccer.png
    soccer.png
    2 MB · Views: 170

snyder7

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2012
You can use Airplay mirroring to watch it using the NBC Extra app.

How did you get it to work? Are you doing airplay from iPad to your TV? I don't see the airplay icon on the iPad app to send over to the tv

C N Reilly

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2008
How did you get it to work? Are you doing airplay from iPad to your TV? I don't see the airplay icon on the iPad app to send over to the tv

You won't see it in the app itself; you have to double click the home button, then slide over to where the volume and brightness controls are. You'll see the airplay icon just to the left of the volume slide.

The only negative to this is you'll likely end up seeing the top menu bar of your iPad on the tv as well, since you're literally mirroring the iPad screen, not just sending the video out.

(Edit: I take that back. I just tried it; there's no menu bar, but the only negative is that not quite the entire tv screen is used. Still seems to be 1080 or something close to it though.)

Last edited:

C N Reilly

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2008
Is there a way to do this w/o having a cable provider?

No. NBC's rules are you have to be with a cable company that also offers CNBC and MSNBC to get access.

There's another app called simply "NBC Olympics" that offers some very limited video highlights, but that's it.

CPD_1

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2007
South East Texas
If you have a family member who is willing to loan you their cable provider password, you may have a solution. My in-laws let me use theirs.

-ND4SPD-

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2011
Is there a way to do this w/o having a cable provider?

I tried for a while yesterday but had no luck. I haven't had a TV/ Cable subscription in almost 2 years.

I find it ridiculous that you wan't watch a free TV event broadcast over air also online. Whatever grrrr.

Outrigger

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2008

I'm sure because of the provider rules, the app itself does not allow airplay since the providers don't want you to watch the streams on your TV, so the only way is to airplay through mirror, but you would have to keep your ipad/iphone on the entire time.

driftmr2

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2009
Broomfield, CO
It's unfortunate really. I jail broke my ATV2 and downloaded Justin.tv iOS app as some alternatives but the experience just isn't the same.

----------

I've been w/o cable or satellite for years. I was bummed when they took away Universal Sports last year. :mad:

CPD_1

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2007
South East Texas
I'm sure because of the provider rules, the app itself does not allow airplay since the providers don't want you to watch the streams on your TV, so the only way is to airplay through mirror, but you would have to keep your ipad/iphone on the entire time.

You are right, there is no built in AirPlay option. What I do is set my phone to mirror, and any browsing I want to do gets done on my iPad. Of course, if you're running lion on a compatible Mac or you have AirParrot installed, you could do that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.