Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

martinjm

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 3, 2012
I recently replaced an ageing MacBook Pro with an M3 Air and migrated everything across (what a lifesaver!!)

However, every few days MicroSoft AutoUpdate pops up with available updates - I hit the go button and it just sits there saying 'Installing' with the progress stuck at the beginning. Apart from being annoying, I'm guessing it's not updating when it should be.

Any thoughts?

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Top tip.

Run the store versions of the Microsoft office suite and do not install Teams (run it in a browser).

This way you can avoid installing that atrocity that is the Microsoft auto updater; the main office suite apps that install via the app store will update via the App Store.

Microsoft auto updater is total and utter garbage, and I refuse to have it on my machine. I've had it fail in a way that it would pop itself up repeatedly every couple of seconds, stealing focus from the app I was working in.

It is trash! Avoid!

martinjm

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 3, 2012
Top tip.

Run the store versions of the Microsoft office suite and do not install Teams (run it in a browser).

This way you can avoid installing that atrocity that is the Microsoft auto updater; the main office suite apps that install via the app store will update via the App Store.

Microsoft auto updater is total and utter garbage, and I refuse to have it on my machine. I've had it fail in a way that it would pop itself up repeatedly every couple of seconds, stealing focus from the app I was working in.

It is trash! Avoid!
Cheers - so I should uninstall Office and reinstall from the store? Wasn't aware there was a browser version of teams, I'll have a look.

SjoukeW

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2020
Netherlands
Sometimes there is a big update which can’t be auto updated.
The solution is to uninstall, download the latest greatest and reinstall.
Lack of quality in the auto updater 😖😖😖
Thanks MS

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.