Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oreomac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 4, 2005
I've always ordered from apple online store due to not having an apple store near me. They have just open one about 15 minutes from where I live. :D :D :D . I just wondered if I get student discount in store or is it just from the online store? I'm in the UK if that makes a difference.

Miner Willy

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2004
Bradford, UK
Student discount

Certainly do! All you have to do is present your current college/uni card or possibly NUS card and fill a form in.

You should get the same discounts as online; for some reason though with my local appple store there was quite a difference when it came to buying tiger (£55 online - £75 in store). That said I got a full student/teacher discount on my eMac. Best thing to check the prices online before buying, you can always walk away from the shop if it's more expensive.

HTH

mcarnes

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2004
USA! USA!
A little more easy online, since you don't have to show anything at the time of purchase. But yeah, can done locally without too much fuss.

jamdr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2003
Bay Area
Yeah, the only benefit of ordering online if you also have access to an Apple store is that you can customize your machine. But if you just want a stock configuration, you might as well get in the store--you get the EDU discount and won't have to wait for shipping. Either way you have to pay sales tax, which is 8.75% in the bay area :(

spamisevil

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2005
Alabama
Some info please

Hi guys, I'm a newbie--both to this forum and to Mac. I'm almost ready to make the switch, but I want to know what sort of documentation does the online store need in order for my sister (a college student; we'll be sharing the laptop) to purchase the iBook with the educational discount?

Many thanks for your help!

spamisevil

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
gwuMACaddict said:
no documentation at all if ordering online

student ID if at a store
Correct
In store you're required to have it, but you only have to show it briefly before purchase. It's not very grueling.

aboutthat

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2005
Washington, DC
You can't purchase most Apple software with the Edu discount in store...I tried buying iWork and Tiger instore, and they sent me online to get the cheaper price. I'm as impatient as the next, but I'm cheap too and the frugality usually wins out in the end...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.