Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluedevil14

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 3, 2006
Washington, DC
i am a student in high school
do i apply for apple's student discount? I have heard conflicting reports from apple's website and the people at my local apple store:confused:

Peyton

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2006
bluedevil14 said:
i am a student in high school?

I don't know? Are you?

JK, usually just take your school id to the store, thats all you need

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
No...in general, high school students are not eligible for the discount. But you only need to have been accepted at a college in order to be eligible. So seniors only need to bring a college acceptance letter. Or maybe you're taking an advanced class a local college...that is usually enough too.

british724

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2006
Indy
Yeah, I'm a senior in high school (not for much longer :D ) and I've been taking online courses through the college I'm going to... so I applied for it because I had a college ID. And once I got accepted for sure to that college my ID didn't change, so it worked either way. But yeah you can't get it just because you're in high school.... you have to log in with a student ID and password. Sorry :( Be patient, your time will come soon enough :cool:

desenso

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2005
Can current undergraduates receive the student discount when purchasing at a physical Apple store? I always knew of the online store, but I thought that to receive the discount in person you had to buy from your university or college. If so, what proof of affiliation is required? And, if I may ask one more question: do the physical stores sell MacBooks that are something other than the base spec?

Flyinace2000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2004
To get the discount at the Apple Retial store you need to show that you are a student.

1. Student ID
2. Log into your school webmail
3. Acceptance Letter

One of those is acceptable.

-Will (past Apple Store employee)

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
desenso said:
Can current undergraduates receive the student discount when purchasing at a physical Apple store? I always knew of the online store, but I thought that to receive the discount in person you had to buy from your university or college. If so, what proof of affiliation is required? And, if I may ask one more question: do the physical stores sell MacBooks that are something other than the base spec?

You can get hardware discounts at the physical store. Just bring a student ID.

BTO computers are only available online.

snakelda

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2006
Az.
When I bought my iPod from the Apple Website, I put in my High School and the apple website gave me the discount.It was a high school,not college or university.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
snakelda said:
When I bought my iPod from the Apple Website, I put in my High School and the apple website gave me the discount.It was a high school,not college or university.
But if you read the terms and conditions... high school students do NOT qualify. (note: screengrab does not display terms and conditions, but it does list k-12 teacher or staff member and only college or university students are qualified)

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    83.8 KB · Views: 69

count chocula

macrumors 6502a
my mom graduates from college sometime in may, and i want the intel based ibook, which i'm not sure will be released before she graduates. if i dont order it before she graduates, can she still use a student discount?

edit: i'm no longer a noob! that was my 30th post! err this is my 30th post lol

interlaced

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2005
if she still has her id, she can show it at the apple store even after she graduates. there was a period of time where i dropped out but i still had my old id and i used it when i bought my mac mini. lol. :p

count chocula

macrumors 6502a
knackroller said:
I believe you can get the discount. Just try, sometimes they don't REALLY check.

sounds like a plan. hopefully they'll realease it soon so it isnt even an issue. actually, hopefully they'll release it right now! but at any rate, they need to release it soon, so i can have the beast computer and not have to worry bout the student discount

snakelda

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2006
Az.
devilot said:
But if you read the terms and conditions... high school students do NOT qualify. (note: screengrab does not display terms and conditions, but it does list k-12 teacher or staff member and only college or university students are qualified)
lol,Now I remember.I said I was a k-12 teacher or staff member.They don't really check though...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.