Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kitki83

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 31, 2004
Los Angeles
this is a general question, I read from previos post that you cannot make money off student version software such as Adobe and other design programs, including video or web. My question is I went to academicstuperstore.com and when reviewing the product information it does not mention this nor can I find any legal information on their website about this.

When saying making money off the software I mean using the programs to create art or do some freelancing.

Thank You
Rene Martin

Proud New Owner of Mac Pro <3

Benjamindaines

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2005
A religiously oppressed state
As long as you are a student I believe you can use the apps to do what ever you want (including making money). What the don't want you doing is getting the apps at student prices and then selling them on eBay for full price.

runplaysleeprun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2004
Chicago, IL
More than likely for any productivity software, student version included, you can do anything with whatever you've created in them. you generally just cannot resell the software straight after you bought it looking to make a few dollars.

If you mean to ask if student versions of software have some features disabled, and therefore, more limiting in what you can do with them, then, for anything I can think of, no. its usually just a student price, not a student edition of the software. Hope this helps.

vectormasked

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2006
Somewhere in Canada
As far as I know.....(many teachers and students from the Art school I went to told me) you can't use the student version to make any money. If you want to make a cent you'd need to pay for the real thing just like everybody else.

kitki83

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 31, 2004
Los Angeles
vectormasked said:
As far as I know.....(many teachers and students from the Art school I went to told me) you can't use the student version to make any money. If you want to make a cent you'd need to pay for the real thing just like everybody else.

Yeah thats what I was told too, you cant use student version for work for example Iam in my last year in college but when i graduate and use the programs for work is that allowed?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
This varies from application to application. It is specifically true for certain applications. It has probably almost never been enforced. Eh... take it for what you will. I don't think the intent is that you should make some work of art which involves Photoshop now and then sell it later after you graduate as one of your portfolio pieces, and Adobe would come after you. I think the intent is more that if you are buying the software to run a business, you are not really using it as a student and so you shouldn't be entitled to a discount...

Abulia

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2004
Kushiel's Scion
It does vary from app to app. Speaking about Adobe, however....

I don't know if they've changed their policies (they haven't, see next post), but Adobe *used* to let you use an academic version once you finished school in a professional capacity. It is one of the broadest licenses I've seen in a long time.

So don't just assume you can't use an academic product for professional work; read the fine print. In Adobe's case, it is legal.

Abulia

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2004
Kushiel's Scion
And two minutes of searching Adobe's site:
Adobe FAQ said:
Student question
"I'm very interested in buying the Education version of Adobe Creative Suite, but first I want to know if the software can be used to produce work for paying customers once I am working in the industry, or do I have to buy a different version of Creative Suite once I'm working in the industry?”

Answer
Good news! You can use Adobe Education software (any title!) to produce commercial/professional paid-for work when you leave school, or even while you are in school. In this regard, Adobe does not limit how student software is used. So students can use it to learn and to make money!

(Of course, students must agree to the terms of the End User Licensing Agreement — which appears during installation — just as every software customer must do.)

Abulia FTW! :D

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Abulia, thanks for clarifying. I wasn't sure about Adobe. I should've searched for a good example! :eek: ;) :D Can I at least score an assist? I really need to rack up a triple double. :D

kitki83

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 31, 2004
Los Angeles
Thanks everyone now to wait for Adobe CS3 Wish I can preorder ><
Now too look for licensing information on other programs I need.

askthedust

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2003
enlightenment
can't use for freelancing

It means it is so you can learn how to use the software for class like buying a text book. It is not intended to be used for business purposes (like freelancing) but many people do it anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.