Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
I noticed some very, very low noise coming from my Studio Display while the Mac was asleep.

I could also feel the air coming out from the top and the bottom. The display was black, however.

It seems like it does that sometimes. Apparently the Studio Display is doing something in the background while the Mac is at sleep?

Perhaps the Mac is not even at 100% sleep, but instead, doing something as well in the background.

But even in that case I'm wondering why it needs the Studio Displays fans to turn on.

I think I heard that the Studio Display has a chip or processor inside of it, or something like that. Some people wondered why it would have this. Maybe this is linked to it?

Has anyone else noticed this?

jacklivehere

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2014
Utopia
I suggest checking connected device and sleep settings. I had this issue, when its connected to a docking station/windows laptop, which periodically power on during sleep.

Reactions: Silly John Fatty

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
I noticed it is on a lot, but silent. It might default to constantly keeping cool and just runs in the background. Not sure if it is in the design or not. Hopefully someone else might have some more answers. I think it might be normal.

Reactions: Silly John Fatty

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
I suggest checking connected device and sleep settings. I had this issue, when its connected to a docking station/windows laptop, which periodically power on during sleep.

The only device connected is the Mac mini is my case. It's normal and usual that it's doing something in the background. Macs have been doing this for decades. But what's weird is that it turns on the displays fans. Even though the display isn't turned on, it's fully black.

I wonder if the Mac uses the chip of the display for some reason. I hope this thing doesn't spy on us 😂 But it's doing something it seems.

I noticed it is on a lot, but silent. It might default to constantly keeping cool and just runs in the background. Not sure if it is in the design or not. Hopefully someone else might have some more answers. I think it might be normal.

The air that comes out of mine is very cool all the time. I don't do anything intensive. It would seem weird to me, that it would cool down even though there's nothing to cool down. Maybe it's just bad software programing or bad engineering.

Egregius

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2023
Beitem, BE
Did you find a solution for this? I recently added a Studio Display to my 27" iMac and find that the fans always turn and the display consumes 15W all day while doing nothing but blowing.
In the beginning it was even after shutting down my iMac. Yesterday I went to a repair center and they did a software reset. Since that the display shuts down completely when I shutdown my iMac but it still keep blowing when my iMac is at sleep.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
Did you find a solution for this? I recently added a Studio Display to my 27" iMac and find that the fans always turn and the display consumes 15W all day while doing nothing but blowing.
In the beginning it was even after shutting down my iMac. Yesterday I went to a repair center and they did a software reset. Since that the display shuts down completely when I shutdown my iMac but it still keep blowing when my iMac is at sleep.

I didn’t actually. I think your Mac is not at sleep, but it’s doing some work while at sleep and for some reason this activates the fence of the display.

Probably this would need a major update from Apple’s side.

Egregius

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2023
Beitem, BE
My iMac is a sleep, that I'm sure. Well, it does wake every for the maintenance task in the background but that's all.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
With a power meter, or with network disabled while sleeping.

Then it’s a bug I guess. I upgraded all my Apple devices recently (phone, iPad, Mac …) and have to say the quality has drastically gone downhill.

Sure, some things are great, but all in all it’s very cheap-ish.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.