Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tucom

Cancelled
Original poster
Jul 29, 2006
Phanteks just released their new ATX case and it's stunning - super thick, Mac Pro like ANODIZED (hate brushed metal) aluminum panels, and super clean, elegant design. If Apple made a Windows box, I'd imagine it looking something like this.

I'll be hanging on to my Mid 2010 Mac Pro for as long as possible, but I may just have to save up for a gaming rig again to complement the Pro - and funny thing is I literally said "I will never DIY a PC again due to no resale value" - but this may have just thrown that out the window.

Awesome reviewer -

I haven't found it on newegg yet, but I'm sure it will trickle down into retailers soon enough.

I'd love for this to have Razer Edition like Razer did with the NZXT H440 - check out the Razer Blade if you want a true 1:1 MacBook Pro quality Windows laptop - to give you an idea of the quality Razer puts into their work - very Apple like company.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
I'm going to disagree, I don't think that it's even remotely "super clean". There are cables all over the place, hundreds of little bends and clips and holes and multicolor fans. Multiple panels because you have to access it from all over the place. Water tubes...

Now THESE are super clean:
mac-pro-side-off.jpg

MacPro2013_35781456_14.jpg

Tucom

Cancelled
Original poster
Jul 29, 2006
Wow, I guess I'm in the minority then lol

That TriCool DeepCool thing is ugly as all heck - it's wonder how that passed as production unit.

You've got to admit, there's really no other case that comes as close as the Phanteks to the Mac Pro design and build quality wise - super thick anodized aluminum panels? Show me where else people are doing that.

EDIT - I just remembered Caselabs - they're Made in USA cases that are supreme quality, super thick all aluminum. I'd actually go for one of those over the Phanteks.

Lian Li isn't even in the same ball park - I've owned their cases, and it's thin, somewhat flimsy sheet metal aluminum with finger print magnet brushed finishes. Glad I sold mine.

Now - here is a truly Mac Pro alternative build quality wise - too bad it may never see the light of day -

^ That's all pure aircraft grade aluminum btw

Last edited:

JaguarGod

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2010
I had a Thermaltake Level 10 (the original black steel case) for my last Hackintosh and really liked the look of it. It cost $800.00 when I bought it and I used it for a few years. But man was that friggin thing heavy and cumbersome to move around if I needed to re-arrange!

l10beauty_lw.jpg

Tucom

Cancelled
Original poster
Jul 29, 2006
Yeah Thermaltake is a crap company though whom are now 100% blatantly stealing CaseLabs designs and builds - it's all over the PC community. A YouTube search will yield you at least a couple videos about it.

The Level 10 metal versions are unfortunately really nice as it's a shame it's from Thermaltake - else it's something I wouldn't mind spending my hypothetical money on.

Tucom

Cancelled
Original poster
Jul 29, 2006
the cleanest desktop case ever made

Did you see the Razer desktop concept I posted? The Mac Pro is incredible, but check out the Razer Project Christine. NOW THAT is the cleanest desktop ever made. Literally no wires anywhere besides external connections.

It really is a true alternative hardware quality wise to a Mac - just like the Razer Blade is to a MacBook Pro. It's good to know there are alternatives out there, though besides Razer and the Microsoft Surface, that's about it - which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

JaguarGod

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2010
Yeah Thermaltake is a crap company though whom are now 100% blatantly stealing CaseLabs designs and builds - it's all over the PC community. A YouTube search will yield you at least a couple videos about it.

The Level 10 metal versions are unfortunately really nice as it's a shame it's from Thermaltake - else it's something I wouldn't mind spending my hypothetical money on.
Yeah, I bought this case a while ago as I did like the way it looked. I'm happy with my Mac Pro and it's case. I loved it when the G5's were introduced and still like them. The Level 10 is going to be sold.

Tucom

Cancelled
Original poster
Jul 29, 2006
Yeah, I bought this case a while ago as I did like the way it looked. I'm happy with my Mac Pro and it's case. I loved it when the G5's were introduced and still like them. The Level 10 is going to be sold.

Yeah they really deserve to go out of business. Here's a view of their wannabe photocopied products and tons of angry fellow PC and Mac users talking about it in the comments -

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9353/thermaltake-computex-2015-booth-tour

To give you an idea of just how blatant their copies are, here's the original, quality USA Made manufacturer CaseLabs who are one of the victims of Thermalfake in this whole debacle -

http://www.caselabs-store.com

It's unbelievable - literally almost all of their stuff is just a blatant rip off of someone else's product. Truly floored.

Inutopia

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2009
South of Heaven
I knda agree with most of whats been said here wrt most PC cases being bad.

When I was recently planning a hack, I was looking at either the Fractal R5 or the NZXT H440. I was going for something as clean as possible looking. Don't like either of these as much as the cheese grater though.

Fractal R5.jpeg
H440.png

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
I'd still have to go with Bitfenix and the Prodigy or Prodigy-M boxes.

I built my last ever PC build out of the white Prodigy (mini-ITX that runs faster than most ATX builds), and couldn't be happier.

http://www.bitfenix.com/global/en/products/chassis/prodigy#gallery

http://www.bitfenix.com/global/en/products/chassis/prodigy-m#gallery

This combined with a similar build to this, while not totally clean inside as the older Mac Pro cases[/url], does give me some power.

This type of case was also featured at Gizmodo.

628.png

BL.

EDIT: Apologies for the large image. Still trying to get used to the new layout, and lack of [TIMG] tags.

Tucom

Cancelled
Original poster
Jul 29, 2006

VAGDesign

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2014
Greece
It has steel skeleton with some aluminum parts of it but mostly all you see outside is plastic.
See this video and some others relevant:

Moonshot

macrumors member
May 24, 2015
Planet Earth
Unfortunately there is no PC case that comes close to the Apple Mac Pro all aluminum case. Some Lian Li cases came close, but the use of stainless steel mixed with aluminum and poor cable management options pretty much ruined looks and functionality. Recently the Silverstone Mammoth came out, and while it doesn't look stunning at all, it is highly functional, rock solid, comes with good air filters and is even somewhat waterproof. Check it out here: http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=525

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
I actually have the ITX Version of this for my PC. My only gripe is that it scratches really easily, more so than my Pro.

Tucom

Cancelled
Original poster
Jul 29, 2006
Unfortunately there is no PC case that comes close to the Apple Mac Pro all aluminum case. Some Lian Li cases came close, but the use of stainless steel mixed with aluminum and poor cable management options pretty much ruined looks and functionality. Recently the Silverstone Mammoth came out, and while it doesn't look stunning at all, it is highly functional, rock solid, comes with good air filters and is even somewhat waterproof. Check it out here: http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=525

I totally disagree - especially with the one I linked above; the frame is steel, yes, but the outsides are all as thick - if not thicker - anodized aluminum just like the Mac Pro. It ultimately comes VERY close. As for aesthetics, well that's subjective.

- Even more so, have you even seen Caselabs cases? All thick aluminum with super high end components for power switches, all cables are sleeved. They now have a MicroATX and MiniITX case that would look splendid next to a Mac Pro.

Is NO one looking at Project Christine by Razer? Gorgeous Mac Pro rivalry in EVERY respect, but again, unfortunately it may not see the light of day :( - It would a true Apple Mac Pro competitor on every level.

DucatiTerminator

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2015
Moorpark, CA
Is NO one looking at Project Christine by Razer? Gorgeous Mac Pro rivalry in EVERY respect, but again, unfortunately it may not see the light of day :( - It would a true Apple Mac Pro competitor on every level.
Concepts are great, and I can respect Tan's vision, but the reality is "may not see" is probably "will not see" unless they can get someone to foot a significant portion of the bill. My kid showed me the press release well over a year ago and Razer admits it's still not promising:

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/co...t-s-not-entirely-promising-right-now--1255153

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/1...-foundering-on-the-shoals-of-low-oem-interest

Having foot the bill for several of my sons' Razer gaming goodies, I know that their products are very much on the expensive end of things. I can't see this case being too affordable to the average gamer, certainly several times more expensive than the typical gamer case. I think it's cool and would probably buy one, but I'm not holding my breath. All the cases mentioned above are actual retail products; this one, not so much. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.