Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Maybe firing Steve Jobs a long time ago wasn't such a good idea. Maybe we would have gotten better Macs by now and Mac OS X might have ended up being out for years already.

Apple had several lines of computers with such stupid, meaningless numbers like Performas, like jeez... so many of those Performas are either PowerPCs or 68k, and heck some are renamed Mac Classics, etc. Very confusing, thankfully they're back on the simple line--eMac, iMac, PowerMac... iBook, PowerBook... etc.

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
They didn't release an IBM PC compatable version of the Mac OS with the pre-emptive multitasking from the lisa OS in 1984!!!

If they had, I doubt windows would even exist and we'd all be able to build our own systems.

They could have licenced it to SUN and SGI aswell. If it was open source like OS X then it would have been the best thing to happen to the computer industry.

It took MS long enough to come up with something close to the Mac OS but they (apple) still lost the OS war before they even thought about joining it (in a purely software way).

Steve Jobs on the day Windows '95 came out, "Doh!!"

Bill gates on the day Windows '95 came out, "They'll all be sucked in and we'll be fithly rich!! mmha ha ha! I'm evil <Rubs hands together>"

I think they still need to up the audio spec on the macs.

For the price even the 24bit I/O they've got on the new towers isn't enough.

They need to move to 24bit RCA outputs and enough to handle both stereo and 5.1 surround (for DVD playback) and they need to start thinking about putting more connection on the front of the unit like 1 USB and 1 Firewire port (on seperate busses from the other ports on the back). I also think there's absolutely NOTHING user friendly or deserving of any kind of design award in having no eject buttons on the drives. Even if they were slot loading and still had no eject buttons it would be an improvement.

They overcharge for the hardware. It's so dated it shouldn't be more the 2 grand for the top of the range model (not the one with 2 drives and 2Gb of RAM obviously).

idkew

macrumors 68020
Re: Stupid little things Apple has done........

Originally posted by edvniow
little stupid things like no 5.1 sound from their DVD player.

in responce to the 5.1 thinggy, i think you might be mistaken. take a look at the attached image. dolby digital is 5.1. if you hook up an audio out device, you can output optically to your stereo.

take a look

... how about a 3-button mouse OPTION from apple.

vniow

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
Originally posted by idkew

in responce to the 5.1 thinggy, i think you might be mistaken. take a look at the attached image. dolby digital is 5.1. if you hook up an audio out device, you can output optically to your stereo.

You can get 5.1 from M-Audio's Sonica and a modified version of the VLC client, but not Apple's own DVD player and that's my beef.
smiley.gif

idkew

macrumors 68020
Re: Re: Stupid little things Apple has done........

Originally posted by idkew

take a look

... how about a 3-button mouse OPTION from apple.

edit- attached image

Attachments

• picture-1.gif
    picture-1.gif
    12.3 KB · Views: 415

vniow

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
Originally posted by tim.shepherd here

I tested the Sonica running on 10.2 (Jaguar) with the following applications,

iTunes 3
VLC AC3 S/PDIF Edition 4.3
Apple DVD Player 3.2

The VLC DVD player, worked perfectly, it gave me high quallity video (double that of SVIDEO) and a Dolby Digital 5.1 AC3 stream to my amp.

OS X also provide Stereo sound over the same optical connection via the Sonica, so I got great sound from iTunes.

Apple's DVD Player 3.2 does _NOT_ support the AC3 stream, _YET_. It gave me the Prologic surround sound via the stereo track.

Apple's DVD player does not support 5.1 sound as you can see.

Yet.
winky.gif

Gus

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
Minnesota
Killing the Newton. If they had kept developing it, it would be far and away the best handheld around. If you've never seen one or worked with one, don't believe the stories about it's failure in HW recognition. Yes, the first Newts were horrible, but believe me, by the time the 2000 came out, it was/is an incredible little machine.

Gus

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
May 24, 2002
'Toba, Canada
-the hockey puck mouse
-increasing the price on the g4 imac last year
-appleworks :p..sorry but i just dont like appleworks...if they did a total reworkover, maybe it wouldnt give me the yucky feeling of 5.0....
-downgrading the g3 imac back to cd rom drive (even tho it was mainly done for educational purposes)
-discontinuing the cube..it was a great idea..and i loved the design WAY before i was a mac person...but it was just a lil too limited and expensive
-.mac

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
Removing the power key from my keyboard! I want that back more than almost any other feature to disappear over the years.

Dan

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
Removing the power key from my keyboard! I want that back more than almost any other feature to disappear over the years.

I second that one!

They've got it totally backwards now.

turn on with the button on the case, eject drives with the button on the keyboard. Not very user friendly at all really.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Originally posted by 3777
How bout the switch ads....... those sure are stupid:rolleyes:

public reaction seems to be very positive... and the celebrity series is a great way to appeal to consumers...

i agree on the keyboard power key issue... never really understood why it went away. discontinuing the cube was kind of necessary, it wasn't doing apple any favors, despite the fact that i hadn't had a chance to buy one yet and i thought it was really cool.

i think it's a mistake not to emphasize the financing options anymore, like they did with the original iMac ($29.99/month banner, i have one somewhere)...

:)
pnw

syco

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2002
iPod for Windows. Make 'em switch, dammit.

Hockey puck mouse. It may fit into an 8-yr old's hands, but not mine. The ADB mouse is really the only ergonomic one. The others (Hockey mouse, Pro Mouse) are just flashly looking.

Not making an Apple Store in Cleveland (please!!!!)

Making the latest PowerMac sound like a Boeing's engines...from the bottom of the wing.

syco

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2002
Who doesn't love the Switch ads? They're so cool. The celebrity ads are awesome as well. I love the De La Soul ad (ooh ooh ooh ooh). The parodies are awesome as well (I star in 3 yet-to-be-released parodies).

metfoo

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2002
an option for a multibutton mouse instead of the apple branded mouse on the apple store is the biggest mistake they have made. they need to offer once.

ibookin'

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Originally posted by paulwhannel

i think it's a mistake not to emphasize the financing options anymore, like they did with the original iMac ($29.99/month banner, i have one somewhere)...

:)
pnw

I remember seeing an ad for iMac financing that said "a dollar a day brings an iMac your way"

Pretty clever.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Originally posted by MacCoaster
Maybe firing Steve Jobs a long time ago wasn't such a good idea.

at the time it was the right thing to do

and hiring him back in 1997 was also the right thing to do for the time...apple had nothing to lose and sj, imac, and bill gates saved apple in the late 90s

but of course, those were big things

as for small things, i would have liked to have seen a handle on the new ibook...but that's just me, because i love the handle on the clamshell ibook i have

i am sure most here would prolly disagree with me:p

crassusad44

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2001
Scandinavia
Apple has not done that many small mistakes (or stupid little things) compared to others. But Apple has done a lot big bad blunders. John Scully is probably responsible for the biggest Apple blunder for all time... The 1985 Apple-MS deal... :(

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Originally posted by crassusad44
Apple has not done that many small mistakes (or stupid little things) compared to others. But Apple has done a lot big bad blunders. John Scully is probably responsible for the biggest Apple blunder for all time... The 1985 Apple-MS deal... :(

like all ceos, there was a time for scully

he saved apple's self destructive course steve jobs had put it in...steve jobs, at least then, had no idea that apple was a business...his visions put apple on the map with the woz, but accounting was not jobs' strong point...woz was not a businessman either

i think jobs came back strong after experience with next and pixar and was ready in 1997

five years later, i think apple needs a new ceo to take it beyond "dig itself out of the hole" mode and get into an expansion mode

don't ask me who i think can take apple into the future for the next chapter

steve jobs himself has admitted that he played a role in saving apple and he was not planning to stay at the helm of apple inc forever

pixar has more possibilities and jobs is already richer than he wants

steve jobs is a business visionary...the ultimate idea and marketing man, but not a day to day long range ceo like jack welch or michael dell

he is not greed oriented like that guy in redmond:p

all that said steve jobs=genius

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Dot Mac. :mad:

Very bait-and-switch.

I think the Jaguar pricing wouldn't have had such a bad reception if it didn't coincide with the other "disappointments", and if they tiered it. Even $99 upgrade, $199 might have been better (though I bet those who bought the full version at $129 are glad that didn't happen).

Still better than M$.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
It might not be little

Loosing faith in the Newton and not sticking with it for a couple more years and being there for the PDA heydays.....

D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.