Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AcousticDoc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 18, 2005
I'm most likely going to return my macbook later today or tommorow morning due to the Moo sounds. However, I've read threads here about people going through as much as 4 macbooks and still getting the moo sound! Has anyone had any success so far in exchanging a moobook for a macbook in one try?

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
AcousticDoc said:
I'm most likely going to return my macbook later today or tommorow morning due to the Moo sounds. However, I've read threads here about people going through as much as 4 macbooks and still getting the moo sound! Has anyone had any success so far in exchanging a moobook for a macbook in one try?

I don't understand this mooing. What does it actually sound like, and just curious, but have you tried QuietMBP? I know it's for the CPU whine on Macbook Pro's, but I have a feeling that the issue is more or less the same. But it's just a theory, you could try it and see. Wouldn't hurt.

AcousticDoc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 18, 2005
lol it actually sounds like a moo. BEsides the moo tho, I absolutely love this MB. It's fast, beautiful and seems like a reliable computer down the line. However, the moo is definitely loud enough and annoying enough to distract future roommates (if living in a dorm) and surrounding people in the library. If apple came out with firmware that would fix it then I'm totally down for keeping this macbook. As for now tho, it's unacceptable unless apple would officially acknowledge the mooing problem.

chrispl

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2006
yea, at first when people first started posting about the moo/whine problem, it seemed as if apple wasnt aware of the problem and allowed reutrns/exchanges. but now that it has been a few weeks, i read more and more posts about how apple says the moo/whine are completley within spec.

i brought mine to two different stores and was told by both that the moo was normal. one guy said apple is probably working on a fix for it. the other guy said he couldnt help me.

the brick whine/buzz also seems to be normal and within spec. but the first guy said that he did hear something, and that since i was within the 14 day exchange/return period, that he would get the okay from the manager to waive the 10% restocking fee for me if i wanted to exchagne or return. he did state that their store was more lenient with that then others though.

i think im going to take mine in for a return. maybe when they come out with the mermon chip or whatever, the moo/whine issues will be worked out. i really want to keep this wonderful laptop, but id be kicked out of the library/lecture halls because of the moo/whine disruptions.

oh here is a clip of the moo that i made with garage band and the built in speaker. it starts about 10 seconds in. i hope it works, i think i tried to download it in safari and got a lot of weird text, but if you do it in camino or another browser it will work.

http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~chrispl/Moo.m4a

chris

AcousticDoc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 18, 2005
chrispl said:
the brick whine/buzz also seems to be normal and within spec. but the first guy said that he did hear something, and that since i was within the 14 day exchange/return period, that he would get the okay from the manager to waive the 10% restocking fee for me if i wanted to exchagne or return. he did state that their store was more lenient with that then others though.

i think im going to take mine in for a return. maybe when they come out with the mermon chip or whatever, the moo/whine issues will be worked out. i really want to keep this wonderful laptop, but id be kicked out of the library/lecture halls because of the moo/whine disruptions.

chris

Which store was this chris? The Emeryville one? How noticable is the MB when you're using in like Doe library or something?

vakej

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2006
i read more and more posts about how apple says the moo/whine are completley within spec.

From what I understand, the moo/whine can be quite loud. I find it somewhat troubling that Apple would state that it's within spec. If it's fairly audible, how can you use it within a library without being conscious that it's completely annoying to other patrons (worse others telling you to be quiet).

Again, if it's fairly audible, what about other places like Borders/Barnes & Noble? In the cafe section folks tend to be somewhat quiet as they read (granted it can be loud sometimes). Seems like it could be quite disruptive.

So it's within spec, but shouldn't be used within places that tend to be quiet :eek: :D

I've been around many laptops, and I honestly never heard a peep out of them :p

VJ

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
chrispl said:
yea, at first when people first started posting about the moo/whine problem, it seemed as if apple wasnt aware of the problem and allowed reutrns/exchanges. but now that it has been a few weeks, i read more and more posts about how apple says the moo/whine are completley within spec.

i brought mine to two different stores and was told by both that the moo was normal. one guy said apple is probably working on a fix for it. the other guy said he couldnt help me.

oh here is a clip of the moo that i made with garage band and the built in speaker. it starts about 10 seconds in. i hope it works, i think i tried to download it in safari and got a lot of weird text, but if you do it in camino or another browser it will work.

http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~chrispl/Moo.m4a

chris

Wow thanks. I've actually never heard this moo before, but now I know what it sounds like. Haha....."moooOOOoooo............moooOOOOOOOOOOOoooooo......" :p

AcousticDoc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 18, 2005
Abstract said:
Wow thanks. I've actually never heard this moo before, but now I know what it sounds like. Haha....."moooOOOoooo............moooOOOOOOOOOOOoooooo......" :p

Now imagine that sound plaguing you everytime you use your computer, going off and on at random intervals and volumes for the rest of your life! It'll drive you nuts! AHAHAHAHAHAH!!!! OMG I'm GOING CRAZY!!!!!! MOOO! MOOO! MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

chrispl

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2006
wow so much feedback! yay! hehehe okay...

AcousticDoc: the first store i went to, where the guy said the moo was normal and that he heard some buzz from the power adapter, but would waive the 10% restocking fee, was at the store in valley fair--i was just there with a friend and figured "what the hey, ill wait 1 hour in line for a genius appointment since im waiting on a friends tuxedo fitting anyways". the second store i went to was the burlingame ave store in uh.. burlingame hehe. the moo is VERY noticeable in any berkeley library. you know how us cal students are... quiet and totally concentrating almost right next to each other in those libraries and it gets REALLY annoying. just MOO MOO MOO all the time with the power adapter going "buzz buzz buzz". gosh, i feel so bad that i just put my macbook to sleep after all the annoyed glances i get. but what can i do, its "within spec" no?

vakej: i totally agree. if this things fans were on at a constant hum, im sure id be okay with it. but the moo has just got to go! i can even hear it over a movie that i play on my macbook! its absurd! but in somewhere like borders/barns & noble im sure you wouldnt notice it as much. those places usually have some people talking or making some sort of noise, so it wouldnt be all that distracting. its just dead quiet libraries or quiet small discussions/lectures that really get you.

well, il enjoy my mooing macbook for another day or two until it goes back this friday.

chris

Storrow

macrumors regular
May 25, 2006

I'm on my 4th macbook, it was frustrating at first but now I have one thats problem free. I think they all Mooed but that wasn't the issue, one whined but I didn't even hear it until i read a post about it so I think they all did. The whining and booing doesn't bother me because I'm assuming its normal. Anyway, even though I had to take a couple back I'm glad I went through it because they are great computers and if you get one that's problem free, it will stay problem free. I think the apple store I was getting them from (Cambridgeside Galleria in Boston) had a bad batch or something. I say go buy one.

andrewface

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2006
i think people are just over reacting
its a computer its bound to make some noise
i hear no moo unless i put my ear up to the keyboard then i hear a little bit of hum
and the whine is actually annoying i only hear it when its charging

chrispl

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2006
congrats andrewface. maybe you are one of the lucky people who have a macbook with a "normal moo," which is supposedly only audible when you put your ear close to the machine, or maybe no moo at all. so just because you were blessed with a good unit, you shouldnt assume that others were so lucky . you mustnt be so presumptuous and make such offensive comments to other people who are actually experiencing valid problems. im one of the people who understand that machines do make noise (after owning several different laptops) and am perfectly fine with some normal fan noises, and can probably even overlook the buzz/whine of the power adapter. but the moo is honestly very loud and audible (a perfect example is when im watching a movie with the volume at full blast and the moo is still audible). i think any noise that can be categorized as "normal" should be inaudible with the speakers at full blast.

Arch

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2006
Mooing Macbook

This is totally unacceptable. I'm going to try to get an exchange from Amazon.com. I paid good money for this computer, and I shouldn't have to put up with an annoying mooing sound. You don't have to put your ear to the keyboard because it's loud and clear. What a pain to have to listen to this. Apple should come up with a fix right away. I switched to Mac, and now I might just go back to a Windows laptop. I waited since October for this new Macbook. This is will be a big let down if they don't fix this. Apple is not giving these things away for free; therefore, they better back up their product. Good luck to those of you who got stuck with a mooing Macbook.
By the way, I like this computer and would like to keep it, but without an annoying pain in the rear sound.

AcousticDoc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 18, 2005
I believe!

OMG! I just went to my friend's place who also purchased a macbook. It was absolutely FLAWLESS! Like no noise at all! I let him listen to the moo and he was like..."dude your mac is seriously screwed up." His clicker for the trackpad also made a noticable click as well! Mine doesn't and is hard to press down on the sides. I'm so jealous of him!!! But at least now I finnaly believe! I finnaly believe that there are Macbooks out there that are perfect! NO DAMN WAY AM I GONNA STICK WITH THIS MOOBOOK AFTER EXPERIENCING HIS PERFECT MACBOOK!

Maxiseller

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2005
Little grey, chilly island.
andrewface said:
i think people are just over reacting
its a computer its bound to make some noise
i hear no moo unless i put my ear up to the keyboard then i hear a little bit of hum
and the whine is actually annoying i only hear it when its charging

Well, maybe yours is one of the good batch...

Nevertheless, if it really does bother you I believe you are well within your right to replace it. The library story made me laugh; its like this at home here...academics can be so fussy!

purelithium

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2006
Kingston, Canada
Mine's ok... no mooing... well I have to be absolutely silent to hear it, and i've only heard it once, last sunday. I put my ear to the magsafe power port, and i can hear a minute whining when there, but otherwise, I can't hear anything
from it. This is at idle. Although, at load, it's loud, almost as loud as my desktop. I can't run BOINC on it, because it gets too hot and way too loud for me. I'm going to open it up later and re-apply the thermalpaste. Some people have had luck with this on the MBP, so i'll see how well it works on our MB's.

Love my macbook. First mac ever, and am absolutely pleased. No bootcamp, and no regrets.

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
purelithium said:
No bootcamp, and no regrets.
Haha, good on ya. After going through the hell of installing XP on my macbook, i recommend your keep yours pristine :p

My one seems to be perfect, except for a moo occasionally. it seems to be the kind of problem easilly fixed with a firmware upgrade. Just have to wait...

ToddW

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2004
AcousticDoc said:
OMG! I just went to my friend's place who also purchased a macbook. It was absolutely FLAWLESS! Like no noise at all! I let him listen to the moo and he was like..."dude your mac is seriously screwed up." His clicker for the trackpad also made a noticable click as well! Mine doesn't and is hard to press down on the sides. I'm so jealous of him!!! But at least now I finnaly believe! I finnaly believe that there are Macbooks out there that are perfect! NO DAMN WAY AM I GONNA STICK WITH THIS MOOBOOK AFTER EXPERIENCING HIS PERFECT MACBOOK!

Is there anyway you can tell if his is a another rev. After hereing that MOOOOOOOOOOO there is no way I'm getting a macbook until that thing is fixed. That is just bad. Seems like there cooling and fan controller is all screwy with the macbooks and macbook pros. I know my work laptop even being a Lenovo/IBM T43 even for windows is a pretty good piece of hardware. It doesn't even make a sound. I find it hard that those core duo's are running that hot. I think someone screwed up pretty big. I mean I can understand some of the cheap windows laptops making crapping noises, I mean the compaq laptop I have at home for the wife (I know, I just converted her to Mac she is gripping about windows all the time, she is even telling people to buy a Mac) makes a few noises, but is mostly quiet. Just some hard drive noises and light fans. But it is a cheapo laptop.

I would expect more from Apple. I think I've drank too much coffee this morning!

Kardashian

macrumors 68020
Sep 4, 2005
Britain.
I just heard the moo-ing on that file you created in GarageBand.

I can't believe it - I thought it was a very loud 'whine' like when you rev a car, and only appeared during strenuous tasks.. but that MacBook actually Moo's, like a Cow in a field.

It is even't even in sync. with any of the other noises, its just an intermittant moo. Sorry, I don't mean to laugh. :p

Moooooooooooooooooooooo

Kardashian

macrumors 68020
Sep 4, 2005
Britain.
MACDRIVE said:
chrispl,

I clicked on your link and all I got was a page full of garbled up words and letters that made no sense. :(

Right click, select ''Download linked file''.

After it downloads, delete the .txt off the end, leaving it as .m4a, confirm this.

Then double clic, open in iTunes, and about 12 seconds in, you hear a moo. You'll begin to think you were hearing things, then it just moo's and moo's at you. :eek:

dextertangocci

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
MACDRIVE said:
chrispl,

I clicked on your link and all I got was a page full of garbled up words and letters that made no sense. :(

You have to open it in a browser other than Safari, such as Camino or Firefox.

WillMak

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2005
Well I just got my first replacement today. It runs a lot cooler and doesn't have any clicking defecits like my previous one...but it still freaking moos. It was areal hassle trying to explain to the genius that what I was hearing wasn't normal. Should I just keep this one or keep pursuing?

Deepdale

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2005
New York
WillMak said:
Well I just got my first replacement today ...but it still freaking moos. ... Should I just keep this one or keep pursuing?

If it truly detracts from your enjoyment of your computer, I believe you should continue until you are a satisfied customer. When a company charges a premium for what they proclaim are obviously superior products to their competitors, the burden falls on their shoulders to adequately address all valid concerns. This is clearly one of those concerns. Take Elsie back and make your voice heard.

machappymeal

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2006
WillMak said:
Well I just got my first replacement today. It runs a lot cooler and doesn't have any clicking defecits like my previous one...but it still freaking moos. It was areal hassle trying to explain to the genius that what I was hearing wasn't normal. Should I just keep this one or keep pursuing?

What week number was your latest macbook? Mine is week 21 with no issues at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.