Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sigmadog

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 11, 2009
just west of Idaho
I'm suddenly having trouble with the Finder in Mavericks 10.9.5.

• When I open a new window on the desktop, it doesn't show any files in the window.
  • I have the Finder set to open a specific "Projects" window, but nothing shows up in that window. If I set the Finder to open another window, nothing shows up there either.
  • I can't close the window or re-size it.
  • Applications open just fine and work properly.
  • Only after using Force Quit Applications to Re-Launch the Finder does a new window show the contents and function properly, but…
  • This only lasts for a couple minutes, then it reverts to empty new windows that can't be closed, etc.
Any ideas what's going on?

sigmadog

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 11, 2009
just west of Idaho
In case anyone cares, the culprit was Google Drive. Once I deleted the app everything returned to normal.

Since I need Google Drive for some stuff, I've re-installed it on my Windows virtual machine, so it (hopefully) won't infect OSX.

Reactions: komatsu

rlibby67

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2016
Burlington VT
Thanks for posting this. I have just started to have this issue. I will try removing google drive when I get home. But strange that I have been using it for a couple of years.

Thanks

Rob

sigmadog

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 11, 2009
just west of Idaho
I had been using it for a couple months without problems until it got corrupted.

You might want to make sure ALL the Google Drive support files are removed ({user}:Library:Applications:Application Support…)

I use AppDelete, which removes all the files automatically, so I don't have to hunt them all down individually. AppDelete I believe has a trial period, so it probably won't cost anything.

lasloduncan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2015
aha that is what has been driving me nuts for four or five days...I would have never guessed than. thank you very much probably some surveillance crap for google and the overlords--after numerous restarts cleanups safe mode etc. jerkoffs--

Reactions: sigmadog

hungx

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2012
Davis, CA
You are a godsend! I initially thought it was a Finder issue, and I tried so many Finder fixes to no avail. I would have never guessed it was a Google Drive issue.

Reactions: sigmadog
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.