Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cmm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2006
NYC
Hi -

I am just getting into audio. I am purchasing a used Denon AVR-2308CI A/V multi-room receiver used for around $300 (unless anyone has a better suggestion for a similar price).

I need to start building the speaker setup. I'd like to get one pair of speakers no more than 24 inches tall (though if they are full size, so be it...) to play 90% music through (50% is classical and jazz and the other 50% is classic rock mp3s at 320kb/s or 192kb/s). Maybe 1 hour of Pandora a week (probably won't go through the speakers).

I live in a small apartment with a young child, so space and safety is important!

Can someone _PLEASE_ recommend a good pair of speakers in my price range of $200-400? Used is fine, I prefer it actually, so I can get a better pair of speakers for the same amount...

I have heard Paradigm Titans are good, but I have also heard Paradigm is a conglomerate and they buy up lots of brands and just slap their name on it, so if I were to get a Paradigm speaker set in my price range, I'd want to make sure they were decent speakers.

Please recommend!

Thank you! :)

PRPS

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Hi -

I am just getting into audio. I am purchasing a used Denon AVR-2308CI A/V multi-room receiver used for around $300 (unless anyone has a better suggestion for a similar price).

I need to start building the speaker setup. I'd like to get one pair of speakers no more than 24 inches tall (though if they are full size, so be it...) to play 90% music through (50% is classical and jazz and the other 50% is classic rock mp3s at 320kb/s or 192kb/s). Maybe 1 hour of Pandora a week (probably won't go through the speakers).

I live in a small apartment with a young child, so space and safety is important!

Can someone _PLEASE_ recommend a good pair of speakers in my price range of $200-400? Used is fine, I prefer it actually, so I can get a better pair of speakers for the same amount...

I have heard Paradigm Titans are good, but I have also heard Paradigm is a conglomerate and they buy up lots of brands and just slap their name on it, so if I were to get a Paradigm speaker set in my price range, I'd want to make sure they were decent speakers.

Please recommend!

Thank you! :)

i have a pair of KRK 6 monitors (new) which ran me ~$325 usd. I'ma huge fan of them but some people are. It's all personal preference tbh. Are you you looking for studio monitors or more like desktop speakers?

cmm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2006
NYC
i have a pair of KRK 6 monitors (new) which ran me ~$325 usd. I'ma huge fan of them but some people are. It's all personal preference tbh. Are you you looking for studio monitors or more like desktop speakers?

What's the difference? I'd eventually like to build a surround sound station. I have space easily for (up to) 24" bookshelf speakers and can build more shelves if necessary.

I could have speakers that start on the floor, but to be honest, that seems extremely large for my needs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.