Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pr3jker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2020
Hi all, I need some advice to rebuild my local network.

-I have been using my supplier's router options to connect USB devices for a long time. As the router only allowed slow USB speed, I soon bought a ASUS RT-N56U router, which I connected to the supplier's router by WLAN cable, and a USB 3.0 external disk connected to the ASUS. Ideal solution to share everything with local clients (Mac, Android, TV, etc.), make a local FTP server and media server for movies, music, etc, at decent speed.

Bad luck: on December 30, I had an electrical shock at home, and my ASUS router fried. So I have to buy another one and this is where I need your help. I thought about staying with ASUS and I have selected two models (unfortunately, my old, damaged model is no longer on sale):

-the ASUS Wireless AC1200 Dual-Band Router 2.4/5Ghz - RT-AC57U v.3

-the ASUS RT-AX1800U Gaming Router (574 + 1201 Mbps)

These routers look impressive compared to my original one, but I have so many doubts, such as whether they support USB 3.0 (not mentioned), and other options (AirMesh?) I know nothing about.

Furthermore, I don't know much about other possible routers. I'm not sure either if there would be other more efficient solutions to rebuild my local network, eventualy without going through a 2nd modem to share the external USB disk.

There you go, that's pretty much of it. Your wise advice is welcome.

Happy New Year to all!

Vic
Air M1
Ventura 13.4

gilby101

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
Ideal solution to share everything with local clients (Mac, Android, TV, etc.), make a local FTP server and media server for movies, music, etc, at decent speed.
Get a decent NAS with gigabit ethernet connection to your router. Stop trying to use a router as a poor man's NAS.

Routers are designed for networking with a USB port or two thrown in. NAS is designed for performance when sharing files and have built-in software to act as media servers as well as SMB (including Time Machine support), FTP, etc.

Create a NAS question. Ask about best NAS to meet your purposes - e.g. how much storage, Time Machine (or not), protocols (SMB, etc.), media servers (e.g. Plex), backup requirements, and so on.

Reactions: pr3jker

pr3jker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2020
Thanks, but NAS are too expensive for me, and also I already have a portable 3 Tb USB disk, so a router is my 1st option.
Besides, i just need a simple FTP-kind solution, to be able to sync my files and have access to my home network from any place, work, etc.

gilby101

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
Besides, i just need a simple FTP-kind solution, to be able to sync my files and have access to my home network from any place, work, etc.
Making that USB disk available outside your home network (e.g. using FTP) is dangerous. It leaves your files open to attack. Honestly, I just hope that those routers prevent you from accessing the USB devices outside the LAN.

If you do go ahead, please make sure that you have a good backup of anything you put on the USB disk.

On a tight budget, you might want to consider using a Raspberry Pi as a file and media server for your LAN. Certainly more flexible than a router and cheaper than a NAS. Takes more time to configure.

pr3jker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2020
Sounds like a great idea! I'll take a look at it! Thanks so much.

hobowankenobi

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2015
on the land line mr. smith.
A NAS would be my first choice, but if budget is limited, the next best thing would be a Synology router. They build in their great sharing interface in their Fille Station feature...which is head and shoulders above any router I have ever seen. Check it out.

It is better (more flexible and configurable) than many entry-level NAS boxes, at zero cost. Check out one of their router options.

AgeOfSpiracles

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2020
Making that USB disk available outside your home network (e.g. using FTP) is dangerous. It leaves your files open to attack. Honestly, I just hope that those routers prevent you from accessing the USB devices outside the LAN.
I have the ASUS RT-AX3000. It has a pretty respectable set of security features, including access-control for the USB device. It also has a Time Machine service you can enable for the USB device, which was a surprise. I don't personally connect a drive to mine, but I wouldn't dismiss the possibility if I needed it.

pr3jker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2020
I finally ended with the router ASUS RT-AX56U.
Has everything I need, specially 2 USB ports ( USB 2 and USB 3).
Also relatively cheap, so roses are blue!
Thanks guys for your support!

Reactions: hobowankenobi

gilby101

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
I finally ended with the router ASUS RT-AX56U.
Has everything I need, specially 2 USB ports ( USB 2 and USB 3).
Also relatively cheap, so roses are blue!
Thanks guys for your support!
Glad you have a solution that works for you. I was sceptical about using a router as a "mini-NAS", but your success shows I was wrong to dismiss it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.