Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fowler.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 18, 2004
Pasadena
I've noticed, that when I'm not doing anything more than playing iTunes, my computers (dual 2.5) fans will turn on... and stay on until I restart. It's pretty annoying.. and i'm not sure what is causing this. It's pretty hot around here.. about 87 right now. I'm a little confused..

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
My grandpa has a Dual 2.3 and the fans are always on even when there's nothing open. It's so quiet though, it's not bad at all. I think that's normal.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
The maximum room temperature a running G5 is advertised to handle is 95ºF, so having the fans ramped up when the room is at 87 seems reasonable.

Church

macrumors regular
May 9, 2005
Alabama
ITASOR said:
My grandpa has a Dual 2.3 and the fans are always on even when there's nothing open. It's so quiet though, it's not bad at all. I think that's normal.

Your grandpa is a bad ass. Just thought I would state the obvious. :rolleyes:

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
My G5 is quiet right now, but if the room gets hot, the fans do get louder, but even then, it isn't unbearable.

Such a nice change from my old PC that barley kept the processor within a reasonable temperature with 5 fans running full blast during the summer.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
Hmmm...
so when I finally get my dual processor G5, I will HAVE to move out of Texas. Score! Viable reason to leave this state!

I thought one of the fancy things about the G5 was that the fans were so quiet it was absolutely crazy?

are they really that loud?

smokeyrabbit

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2005
Escape from New England
katie ta achoo said:
Hmmm...
so when I finally get my dual processor G5, I will HAVE to move out of Texas. Score! Viable reason to leave this state!

I thought one of the fancy things about the G5 was that the fans were so quiet it was absolutely crazy?

are they really that loud?

Or get a/c. Being in a 95°F room is pretty uncomfortable.

The fans are quiet. Of course I only have a single processor PM, but it is inaudible in my office under the desk, compared to the iMac. I went from a Quicksilver G4 to the G5 PM and it was like night and day. Even compared to the iMac without a fan, because I hear the whine of the HD on that one. If the fans are 2" from your ears in your setup, then yes, you will hear them. But you'll also hear the HD.

Rocksaurus

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2003
California
The fans aren't noticeable at all... Until it gets hot. Got in the 80's here today, and I noticed my fan getting louder, and I'm just now realizing how much I absolutely hate that. Agh.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Rocksaurus said:
95? You've gotta be kidding me.
I just realized that I'll live long enough to mention climate controlled computer rooms, and have people not believe that there was ever such a thing. :D

Awimoway

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2002
California
840quadra said:
You could all just move to Minnesota :)

:hides:

Oh wait, it gets in the high 90's and HUMID in the late summer :(

Does it? Dammit. I want to move to where the hottest it can be in summer is well under 85. Guess I can count out Minnesota.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.