Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hjorte

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2023
New Mac owner asking for advice:
Can you recommend a USB-C cable (model or brand) which is soft, flexible, braided, feels and looks like quality and capable of at least 10 Gbps? Any new alternatives to the well known Anker brand?

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
New Mac owner asking for advice:
Can you recommend a USB-C cable (model or brand) which is soft, flexible, braided, feels and looks like quality and capable of at least 10 Gbps? Any new alternatives to the well known Anker brand?
Honestly given what you are looking for there is no better USB-C cable than the Anker Flow Silicone. For a flexible braided cable the Anker Powerline+ III cable is the very best. I have examples of both cables within arms reach of where I am typing this and I can attest to their quality. Of the two the Anker Flow Silicone is my favorite. If you need a Thunderbolt 4 cable the Anker Thunderbolt 4 cable at $35.99 each is a quality alternative to the expensive Apple TB4 cable, again I have examples of both. the $129 Dollar Apple TB4 cable is not any better than the Anker, both are Intel certified cables.

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
This is a great Tutorial in the Thunderbolt cable. You can see that in a few years the Thunderbolt connection will take over from everything else.

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Apple has come along way from 2nd crappiest connector in human history. Only the 1946 RCA connector is worse.

Screenshot 2023-11-06 at 20.58.28.png

Last edited:

hjorte

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2023
Honestly given what you are looking for there is no better USB-C cable than the Anker Flow Silicone. For a flexible braided cable the Anker Powerline+ III cable is the very best.
Thanks, looking at www.anker.com and using their filtered search (USB-C to USB-C), I come up with 7 cables and only one of them meets the criteria for 10 Gbps data transfer speed or faster.

The Flow Silicone you mention sure looks nice, but it's most likely 480 Mbps only.

It seems to me that Anker USB-C cables are mostly about charging.

Anker 515 USB-C to USB-C Cable (USB4) - 40 Gbps, sold out
New Nylon USB-C to USB-C 100W Cable (10 ft) - 480 Mbps
Anker 765 USB-C to USB-C Cable (240W Nylon) - 480 Mbps
Anker 543 USB-C to USB-C Cable (6ft) - 480 Mbps, sold out
Anker 543 USB-C to USB-C Cable (Bio-Braided) - 480 Mbps, sold out
Anker 543 USB-C to USB-C Cable (Bio-Based) - 480 Mbps, sold out
Anker 643 USB-C to USB-C Cable (Flow, Silicone) - 480 Mbps (most likely) sold out

Last edited:

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Thanks, looking at www.anker.com and using their filtered search (USB-C to USB-C), I come up with 7 cables and only one of them meets the criteria for 10 Gbps data transfer speed or faster.

The Flow Silicone you mention sure looks nice, but it's most likely 480 Mbps only.

It seems to me that Anker USB-C cables are mostly about charging.

Anker 515 USB-C to USB-C Cable (USB4) - 40 Gbps, sold out
New Nylon USB-C to USB-C 100W Cable (10 ft) - 480 Mbps
Anker 765 USB-C to USB-C Cable (240W Nylon) - 480 Mbps
Anker 543 USB-C to USB-C Cable (6ft) - 480 Mbps, sold out
Anker 543 USB-C to USB-C Cable (Bio-Braided) - 480 Mbps, sold out
Anker 543 USB-C to USB-C Cable (Bio-Based) - 480 Mbps, sold out
Anker 643 USB-C to USB-C Cable (Flow, Silicone) - 480 Mbps (most likely) sold out
I get your point. Most of what I use these USB-C cables is for charging. The lightning connection on my iPhone tops at 480mbps. I do have a external SSD connected via Thunderbolt 4 and it registers as being an internal drive on my Mac Studio. One other cable brand that I was just clued into is Cable Matters I have a TB4 cable from them. They have a USB-IF certified USB-C cables that does 10gbps. Looking at the spec's they look like a TB4 lite. Presently I don't have anything that would make use of such a cable, on the USB side. At $12.99, with a 38% discount for a 1 meter cable I think I am going to order a couple for the cable stash. The reviews are very good the comments are of a very heavy duty cable of very high quality.

Just ordered 2 of them. I am looking over what Cable matters has and I am impressed with what I am seeing.

Last edited:

John_san

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2023
Dear MacRumors forum community,

Long time reader, first time poster.

I have a MBP M2 Pro for work and 2 monitors (24” and UW27”, connected to the mac with HDMI and DisplayPort->USB-C).

I jumped ship and bought my first ever MBP last week, went big (aiming to keep 10y if possible), and got myself a 16” M3 Max.

Now I could unplug/replug every time I want to use my 2 monitors on different MBP (work vs perso) but I’d rather avoid fiddling with too many cables all the time.

So I’m looking for a dock or hub that allows for dual 4K@60Hz on each monitor in extended mode (I normally keep the MBP closed on that configuration).
Ideally a few extra ports: USB-A, USB-C, audio jack and maybe RJ45.

Most importantly, the ability to only have 1 cable to unplug/plug to switch the 2 monitors from one MBP to the other. Other ports not critical. Ideally, a robust product for ~150€

I looked at CalDigit TB4 but that’s really overkill for my needs and also 200€ too expensive (yeah the M3 Max ruined me 😅).

Thanks in advance.

rjalex

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2011
Rome, Italy
I have two Macs:
  • 2020 M1 Mini with its measly two TB3/USB4 ports
  • 2023 Macbook Pro 16" with its three TB4/USB4 ports
The stuff I connect to either are:
  • LG HDR 4K 32" display
  • Acasis TBU405PRO enclosure with Samsung 990 Pro 4TB NVMe 4.0
  • Samsung 500GB SSD T5 USB SSD
  • WD 1TB USB SSD
  • Various audio related (USB-A Mic, MIDI keyboard, DAC etc)
One thing I don't understand is if an hub would negotiate the different speeds (where the Acasis could yield 2700-2800 MB/s much more than the slower interfaces/devices) ?

Would anyone please be so kind to suggest a good hub to accomodate all of these peripherals and let me connect them to either Mac?

Thanks in advance

Clockwerk

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2023
Hi guys, so I recently bought a macbook pro and I'm looking for a cheap-mid range dock. I always only see high powered docks recommended on the internet, my table at my dorm is very small so I have no plans of getting an external monitor for now. I'll only be using the dock to connect my mechanical keyboard, the Bolt wireless receiver for the MX Master 3s, and my Elgato Wave 3 mic.

I've been looking at Anker products and saw some people say it gets really hot and starts disconnecting after a couple of hours. I'm looking at the PowerExpand 7 in 1 which is on sale for $AUD52.5($35 USD) as well as the Anker 364 10 in 1 which retails for $AUD100($68.42) which is probably my limit atm as I need to buy other accessories for the mac. I've also been thinking of the OWC travel dock e but the shipping to Australia is pretty expensive.

ProQuiz

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2009
How is the CalDigit Element Hub? I just need a dock/hub with extra USB ports.

By the way, does the power supply for the Element Hub support universal voltage? Can I buy one from the US (110-120V) and use it where I am (220-230V)?

In reference to my above post, how is this MUCH cheaper alternative if I just want to add some USB-A ports?

etaleb

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2012
Folks - would you trust a USB-C dock to connect an external 18TB SATA HDD into (all my media files are on it). Or would it be far better to directly connect it to a MAC mini? Thanks

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Folks - would you trust a USB-C dock to connect an external 18TB SATA HDD into (all my media files are on it). Or would it be far better to directly connect it to a MAC mini? Thanks
Absolutely, I'll bet you are talking About the Seagate One Touch. I have a 14TB version of it plugged into the Mac Studio right now the One touch has its own PS. But It will work just fine in an external dock. You will not lose your media files at any rate with a bad USB-C connection. But I would suggest getting a TB4 hub like the OWC 11-Port Thunderbolt Dock. These TB4 dock have both Thunderbolt and 40GB USB-C ports that are perfectly back compatible, all have at least 90 watts, usually 100 watts of power available at the ports. A powered dock removes the load from unpowered SSD's from the Mac Mini internal power supply. When you finally move to TB4 external SSD's plugged into the mac, or into a TB4 dock the Mac computer will see it as an internal drive.

etaleb

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2012
Wow that's a lot of capacity. Is there any other dock you'd recommend for just 2 USB-C & 2 USB-A ports? I'm actually using a Seagate 18TB Hard Drive Exos X18 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" which has its own power

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Wow that's a lot of capacity. Is there any other dock you'd recommend for just 2 USB-C & 2 USB-A ports? I'm actually using a Seagate 18TB Hard Drive Exos X18 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" which has its own power
You bet, I have 3 Anker powered USB hubs, including this one. Go to Amazon and look in the Anker store in the Hubs, and Docks section there are numerous choices. Anker is my go to choice for this sort of thing. I got the OWC because it is setup for TB3&4, 40gb USB, USB-C, USB-A, and Ethernet.

Last edited:

sgtaylor5

Contributor
Aug 6, 2017
Cheney, WA, USA
my docks keep dying and I don't know why.

a $48 j5create usb 3/hdmi/usb c PD dock just bit the dust; that also killed an attached StarTech usb 3 to SATA adapter.

I'm a light duty office user compared to the rest of you. I have a new to me M1 MBP. last Mac was a 2017 MBA, before that a 2013 MBP. all have had docks die with them.

I live in a two-wire 1955 era house, I always have everything connected through a UPS with a good battery.

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
I am not surprised years ago I had considerable trouble with Belkin USB hubs. Go to Anker they make the very best. My oldest Anker Powered USB hub was purchased in 2015. It is used with my Raspberry Pi. My oldest Anker powered hub in continuous use is the Anker AH241 13 port powered hub purchased on December 2018, This hub is no longer available. Another single port hub for a Anker Magnetic charger purchased in January 2019. plus 6 Nano chargers, 4 Power Core/Power Bank batteries and bunches of cables. I have never had a Anker USB hub, or any of the USB chargers or batteries fail. The cables go to rough treatment need replacement but the Anker Lightning, Thunderbolt, or USB last longer than any others. What I am saying is get yourself a Anker hub and you will be very happy. A suggestion for your power situation. Get an UPS with a line conditioner. A line conditioner protects equipment from power surges, helps to correct voltage and waveform distortions, and removes external electrical noise (i.e. frequency and electromagnetic interference) caused by devices such as radios and motors.

sgtaylor5

Contributor
Aug 6, 2017
Cheney, WA, USA
I am not surprised years ago I had considerable trouble with Belkin USB hubs. Go to Anker they make the very best. My oldest Anker Powered USB hub was purchased in 2015. It is used with my Raspberry Pi. My oldest Anker powered hub in continuous use is the Anker AH241 13 port powered hub purchased on December 2018, This hub is no longer available. Another single port hub for a Anker Magnetic charger purchased in January 2019. plus 6 Nano chargers, 4 Power Core/Power Bank batteries and bunches of cables. I have never had a Anker USB hub, or any of the USB chargers or batteries fail. The cables go to rough treatment need replacement but the Anker Lightning, Thunderbolt, or USB last longer than any others. What I am saying is get yourself a Anker hub and you will be very happy. A suggestion for your power situation. Get an UPS with a line conditioner. A line conditioner protects equipment from power surges, helps to correct voltage and waveform distortions, and removes external electrical noise (i.e. frequency and electromagnetic interference) caused by devices such as radios and motors.
Just bought a Satechi USB-C Slim MultiPort with Ethernet dock. Best Buy didn't have much in stock and nothing Anker; they were nearly totally cleaned out of SSDs, only one left at a very high price. I wanted something with a longer cable to keep everything well behind the laptop. Also bought my second Samsung T7 external SSD, which I'm very pleased with. First one is for work use and has MediCat rescue disk and many Windows installers; this second one is for Time Machine use.

Going to research the power conditioner I found in the shop for inclusion before the UPS.

Merveilleux

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2024
What’s the consensus here on hubs? I need one for an M1 MBA, 2-3 usb 3.0 and SD would be fine. HDMI is a bonus but not required. Pass through power ideal.

Belkin? Anker? Satechi? Those three are relatively well distributed in my country.

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.