Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sfdarwin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2006
Hi,
The superdrive on my macbook scratches the discs with any movement.
For example, if i'm watching a dvd on my lap and slightly move the computer off-level, i hear a buzzing sound and scratches a ring around the disc.
Does anyone else have this problem? I don't want to send it back to apple for repair and get it back unchanged because they say it's "within spec"
Thanks for your help!

Storrow

macrumors regular
May 25, 2006
i had the exact same thing happen with mine. When it happened I took it to apple and they gave me a new blackbook. But I did notice it happened with this new one as well. I've never seen it happen with any kind of DVD just non dvd cds I have no idea if this is normal.

sfdarwin does it scratch all your disks?

sfdarwin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2006
yeah... it scratched my retail dvd's and cd's...
sorry to hear your new superdrive does the same.

srg59

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2006
Yeah, the superdrive in my 15" MBP (2ghz) does the same thing.

I'm interested to know if this is normal, or apple's idea of "normal". You know, kinda like how it was normal for my battery to die after 20 days.... :mad:

erikistired

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2006
(770)
srg59 said:
Yeah, the superdrive in my 15" MBP (2ghz) does the same thing.

I'm interested to know if this is normal, or apple's idea of "normal". You know, kinda like how it was normal for my battery to die after 20 days.... :mad:

i don't think it's normal. i haven't had it happen in my 12" g4 pb with a superdrive in it, but it might not be the same drive/manufacturer.

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
Oh, boy. I thought MBP and MB's main problems were "only" excessive heat, mooing/excessive noise, and fit & finish (for MB). Now, this. I am definitely holding off buying intel Mac until I hear less of those problems. I hope Apple will fix those problems by early next year. Thank god, I have 3 of my Macs still under Applecare (15" PB---about 6 months, 12" PB---2 more years, 12" iBook---2.5 years).

thegreatluke

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2005
Earth
I have heard a buzzing sound if I moved my MBP while it was in my lap or something and a CD was spinning inside it, but I didn't see any rings or scratches on the disk.

I didn't look too carefully, though.

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
Is this a common problem with MBP and MB? All of my Macs so far (G4 versios) have not shown this type of issue with optical drive. If my notebook computer sratches up my DVD movies and data DVD, I would be very upset.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.