Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

griz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
New London, NH
I seem to recall Jobs saying that they were going with IPS because it was a better choice over OLED. Don't recall the specifics. Was in one of the keynotes.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Thats not true at all, I know Apple pretty well. No company can take a product that sells for $499 and then jack the price up to $999 a year later and expect to sell more.

After supply cost does become the next issue with OLED. Its not so much of a problem with a 4 in screen but when you go bigger things tend to cost more. In the case of screens it can cost a lot more.

If Apple really wants to sell more iPads I would say they need to lower the price by at least $50 to $449.

It's not easy for everyone to drop $500 on a iPad.

It's not true at all??? I beg your pardon? First, I'm not sure where you got that $999 price from? I didn't mention price, I just said that Apple can get away with jacking up the price on their products and CAN get away with it, they have before and it hasn't hurt their business. You must've been sleeping for a long time because the iPad has been the most successful tablet ever so there would be no need for Apple to drop the price on the iPad. Come on man, don't give me this that it's not easy for everyone to drop $500 on an iPad. It's been exactly the opposite, Apple's business has been phenomenal with the iPad. Plus, if a person can't afford to pay $500 then they have no business looking an iPad.

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
I don't see how OLED is going to be worth an extra $500 to $1000 to very many people.

Its not worth it right now. IPS displays are really good, and your average user can't tell the difference.

OLED is going to be the way to go, but its going to take some time. At least 2 years before its really matches a good IPS display in every aspect of use including price.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
No, Apple doesn't do that. They will generally keep the same price, but add more functionality to newer models. As a matter of fact, some of the prices will drift down in time (e.g., look at the iPod pruduct line as well as the iPhone).

Apple is not going to take a pricey (like $1000) AMOLED part and shove it in a $500 iPad and tell customers to pay $1799 for it.

Ain't gonna happen.

Most likely Apple will make incremental improvements to the existing design and maintain the same pricing. That's what they've done in the past.

There's nothing in my post that you quoted that stated that Apple would increase their prices, I said that they can generally name their price and people will pay it. When the iPad came out they priced it $500 and people paid it despite the naysayers that said it was still too expensive.

al2o3cr

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2009
Does "we can't make the things at that price at all" count as a "supply problem"? That'd be like me announcing that the only reason I don't have 10 Lamborghinis is that there's a "supply problem" (namely, that nobody will sell me them for next to nothing).

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
Apple has yet to shift to the technology.A major challenge for OLED vendors is that manufacturing capacity isn't the only factor holding them back from producing panels for an OLED-based iPad, as the current technology isn't even appropriate for mass production of panels in that size, particularly at competitive price points.

This is probably the main reason. Apple has a lot of weight in the industry. Hard to imagine them being constrained by supply when other companies are using the same technology albeit in smaller displays.

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
It's not true at all??? I beg your pardon? First, I'm not sure where you got that $999 price from? I didn't mention price, I just said that Apple can get away with jacking up the price on their products and CAN get away with it, they have before and it hasn't hurt their business. You must've been sleeping for a long time because the iPad has been the most successful tablet ever so there would be no need for Apple to drop the price on the iPad. Come on man, don't give me this that it's not easy for everyone to drop $500 on an iPad. It's been exactly the opposite, Apple's business has been phenomenal with the iPad. Plus, if a person can't afford to pay $500 then they have no business looking an iPad.

Of course you didn't mention $999. I pulled that number out as a guess to what it would cost based on Kodak having a 7.6 in OLED Picture Frame that costs $999 and thats just a picture frame.

There is one very simple reason why the iPad has been the most successful tablet ever.

And here it is. Every single table that came before it... Was total garbage. They were absolute total crap. and the iPad wasn't.

Your talking about success, but your talking about success in a market that had a very small if not no market because no one was buying tablets. Or where you the guy who was buying all those crappy tablets?

Apple has to stay completive, and guess what Android is getting better with every version. And there will be those people who will buy that $299 android tablet only because the price is cheaper.

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
Supply isn't the only issue. Having a 9.7in OLED screen would also jack up the price of the iPad which is something Apple can't get away with doing.

A IPS LCD will be more then fine for now. Just give it a little higher resolution.

When did we start using OLED iphones, so why would I think that one the size of an ipad would be in the works.:confused:

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
Does "we can't make the things at that price at all" count as a "supply problem"? That'd be like me announcing that the only reason I don't have 10 Lamborghinis is that there's a "supply problem" (namely, that nobody will sell me them for next to nothing).

And that why I have not seen one except in miami and that was one.

Technology that cost the same as a house means exactly what it sound like, a pipe dream.

I can see a person buying a 5000 dollar phone but now lame is that when it does nothing else but show that your rich and can waste till the end of time.

SBeardsl

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2007
U clearly don't know apple as long as u think apple will cut the price on iPad. Apple doesn't believe in making things cheaper for consumers. iPad isn't for everyone.
If you go to the Apple Store today you can get last year's 8GB iPhone 3GS for $99. Is it as shiny as this year's iPhone 4? Nope but its $100 less.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the current 16GB model kept at the bottom of the iPad line with a significant price drop, say $399 for wifi-only when the new iPad 2 comes out. That would be consistent with how Apple has pushed prices lower while keeping existing price points when releasing new models with improved functionality.

Oflife

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2009
Am totally happy with current iPad, except...

...the appalling Safari browser, that forces a page reload every time you switch 'tabs'. The display is excellent, and has worked for me in all situations, including outside in the sun.

Of course, a next generation true daylight readable solar power generating tactile multitouch display would be nice, but one can manage.

:)

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
There's nothing in my post that you quoted that stated that Apple would increase their prices, I said that they can generally name their price and people will pay it. When the iPad came out they priced it $500 and people paid it despite the naysayers that said it was still too expensive.
Apple would have no choice but to increase the price of the iPad if they used AMOLED displays (that's what you suggested). The AMOLED part is way too expensive at this time. Hell, the cost of that one part is probably more than the retail price of the entry level iPad.

Lennholm

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2010
I seem to recall Jobs saying that they were going with IPS because it was a better choice over OLED. Don't recall the specifics. Was in one of the keynotes.

Sure, but you do realize Jobs would have phrased it exactly the same even if he really wanted OLED but couldn't work it out for any reason, don't you?

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Apple would have no choice but to increase the price of the iPad if they used AMOLED displays (that's what you suggested). The AMOLED part is way too expensive at this time. Hell, the cost of that one part is probably more than the retail price of the entry level iPad.

Okay, fair enough. I will admit that I don't know squat about these OLED screens however what I am saying is if Apple wanted to make an "iPad Pro" complete with the OLED screen and the base price was $999 they would sell a ton of them. Apple has a following where people see them as making great products, and they do. You're looking at this from your own point of view, I'm looking at this based on Apple's recent success of their products. Heck, they created a 11" notebook with limited ports, no expansion, "OK" battery life and no backlit keyboard, created a price of $999 and people have jumped all over it.

Mattie Num Nums

macrumors 68030
Mar 5, 2009
USA
Okay, fair enough. I will admit that I don't know squat about these OLED screens however what I am saying is if Apple wanted to make an "iPad Pro" complete with the OLED screen and the base price was $999 they would sell a ton of them. Apple has a following where people see them as making great products, and they do. You're looking at this from your own point of view, I'm looking at this based on Apple's recent success of their products. Heck, they created a 11" notebook with limited ports, no expansion, "OK" battery life and no backlit keyboard, created a price of $999 and people have jumped all over it.

I'd pay more for a better screen.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
I see your point and personally I think both of our positions are justifiable.

Yes, there is a possibility that Apple could create a "pro" version of the iPad. They could also create a mini iPad (7") too, and get the price lower due to a cheaper display (that's the most expensive part of the device).

I really wanted a 7" version, but I caved in and bought the iPad a month ago and I really like this form factor. A smaller device would trade off real estate for portability. Is there an audience big enough to make it worthwhile to Apple? It appears there is a market, whether or not they would make their typical margins is still unknown.

Whether or not Apple would diversify the iPad product line is a mystery. It's still a very new product category, they are probably cautious to see how the market develops.

One thing for sure, they don't always follow a specific path. Heck, look at the iPod nano. From the various form factors to the fact that it no longer plays or records video is pretty unusual.

It's all good though in my mind. There is no other consumer electronics company that drives the rumor mill so frenetically. Plus, Apple delivers to its shareholders, something I personally appreciate.

Aug 26, 2008
Correct me if I am wrong AMOLED screens do not work well if used out in the open.

That is the reason that phones employing AMOLED are launched in a dark room!

AMOLED gives excellent contrast but in a dark room!

Yes and no. AMOLED isn't as great in the sun, but SAMOLED is just as good as any LCD outside, and in normal conditions (i.e. anywhere but direct sunlight, including lighted indoors), SAMOLED is leaps and bounds better than LCD. My Samsung Focus screen is way better than my iPhone 4 screen, despite the iPhone having a slightly higher pixel density. It's just not even close.

Its not worth it right now. IPS displays are really good, and your average user can't tell the difference.

OLED is going to be the way to go, but its going to take some time. At least 2 years before its really matches a good IPS display in every aspect of use including price.

This is baloney.

Do people ever use the stuff they talk about?

Every "average user" who has looked at my Focus vs. my iPhone is floored by the difference. Have you ever SEEN a SAMOLED screen in practice? They are freakin' amazing, and there is a reason everyone wants one of these (outside of Apple apologists I guess. I'm a HUGE Apple fan, but man you have to call it like it is).

pr5owner

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2007
Yes and no. AMOLED isn't as great in the sun, but SAMOLED is just as good as any LCD outside, and in normal conditions (i.e. anywhere but direct sunlight, including lighted indoors), SAMOLED is leaps and bounds better than LCD. My Samsung Focus screen is way better than my iPhone 4 screen, despite the iPhone having a slightly higher pixel density. It's just not even close.

i agree, SAMOLED blows away every other display ive seen, if you combine that with a high pixel density (samsung wave, 3.3" 480x800) it looks unreal.

the contrast is amazing, i was reading on another forum that had a post saying one day in a completely dark room there will be no light leak for a black background image, i guess that day is here.

blahblah100

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2009
You don't know Apple very well, nor do you know their customer base. You're talking about a company that can name their price and their customers will pay it. I don't think the OLED screen cost would prevent Apple from using it in the next iPad.

U clearly don't know apple as long as u think apple will cut the price on iPad. Apple doesn't believe in making things cheaper for consumers. iPad isn't for everyone.

Can one of you please explain the $200 price cut of the original iPhone 2-3 months after release?

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas
Correct me if I am wrong AMOLED screens do not work well if used out in the open.

That is the reason that phones employing AMOLED are launched in a dark room!

AMOLED gives excellent contrast but in a dark room!

Exactly!!!!!!!!
Price or supplies, it sucks, period.

RalfTheDog

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2010
Lagrange Point

This is baloney.

Do people ever use the stuff they talk about?

Every "average user" who has looked at my Focus vs. my iPhone is floored by the difference. Have you ever SEEN a SAMOLED screen in practice? They are freakin' amazing, and there is a reason everyone wants one of these (outside of Apple apologists I guess. I'm a HUGE Apple fan, but man you have to call it like it is).

I will not touch a OLED or OLED derived product unless it is disposable. OLED has burn in problems. If you only plan on using the product for a year, it is great. If you plan on keeping the device, not so much. This is one of the reasons all my TVs are DLP not Plasma (I also like the modern DLP picture better than Plasma. I might think about LCD, but I can't get very large screens in that format.) When OLED derived technology becomes main stream, LCD will have improved to the point where you will not be able to detect any quality difference. LCD might even be better.

You don't know Apple very well, nor do you know their customer base. You're talking about a company that can name their price and their customers will pay it. I don't think the OLED screen cost would prevent Apple from using it in the next iPad.

Apple will sell their products at the price point where they think they will make the most money. When their production volume is limited, they can jack the price up. If you only have 100 units to sell, you sell them to the 100 people who will pay the most. When you have all the production you want, the limiting factor is the number of people willing to buy your product. Sometimes dropping the price will get you more money.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.