Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lmbebo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2003
Im contemplating switching to a 15" powerbook this fall (like the wide aspect screen and OS X).

But before I decide on it, Id like to know if anyone out there has gotten there Dell DJ to work in OS X.

or will it even work?

cmx08

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2004
Canada, GMA
1 word :

lmbebo said:
Im contemplating switching to a 15" powerbook this fall (like the wide aspect screen and OS X).

But before I decide on it, Id like to know if anyone out there has gotten there Dell DJ to work in OS X.

or will it even work?

iPod

lmbebo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2003
thanks

but I already own my Dell DJ and have been happy with it. Not selling it or moving to an ipod because Im looking to change computers.

Meemoo

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2004
Sugar Land TX
lmbebo said:
thanks

but I already own my Dell DJ and have been happy with it. Not selling it or moving to an ipod because Im looking to change computers.

Too bad. Shame on you for buying a DJ in the first place.

Applespider

macrumors G4
Look guys, telling him to buy an iPod isn't helpful.

Don't know for sure but I have a friend with a Powerbook who had a Rio that seems to work fine. It doesn't synch as well as an iPod in terms of pulling over playlists etc but he can get music files on and off it (tho not sure if he uses iPod to do that or just does it from the Finder)

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
since macs can read FAT formatted disks, i imagine Dell DJ will at least mount. i do not know how you load the music on Dell Dj. if it's just drag and drop, then it should work. if it requires some software to put songs on it, then you will obviously need the OS X version of that software.

someone who's got one will obviously be better answering this.

another thing you can try is to take your Dell DJ with a cable and trying it out at an apple store or a compusa on a Mac.

briankonar

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2004
i'd assume (don't know for sure as i don't have a DJ) that it will auto mount as a hard drive, and you can just drag and drop audio over to it. it won't function like iPod > iTunes combo (thank apple for that, snuffing the competition) but i'd assume that it would work without any 3rd party software. Then again my friend's g/f had a Sony PDA which didn't automatically mount (requires some 3rd party app). I'd take it to an Apple store (assuming this is convenient) and plug it in. See what happens, 9 to 1 it works.

nothing like posting the same comment at the same time :eek:

briankonar

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2004
Meemoo said:
Too bad. Shame on you for buying a DJ in the first place.

shame on you for even posting. it's not like the iPod is that great, and it's such a cliche item now that i'm glad i have the original, at least i don't look like a leech.

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002
lmbebo said:

or will it even work?
Does music match run on OS X?
If so you might try that and see if it syncs.
Who know, even maybe iTunes might recognize it.
Try searching on google too...might find something.

Trying at an Apple store might be worth a look too.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
fyi... i have a RIO S35S, it's a flash 128 MB player. it's an older model so it doesn't support "mass storage" mode - fancy term for USB flash drive function. so it doesn't mount, but it did come with an iTunes "plug-in" software. so when i plug it in and launch iTunes, it does show up on the list on the left, along with iPod, Library, iTMS and playlists. i can add/delete songs on that player using iTunes just like iPod. (no "auto synching" and such, of course...)

so if Dell has an iTunes plug-in, it will work very well. check their website.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
briankonar said:
it's such a cliche item now that i'm glad i have the original, at least i don't look like a leech.

where are we, in grade school? :D ;) :p

but yes, replying that iPod is better than DJ when the o.p. specifically asked about DJ is off-topic at best...

StealthRider

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2002
Here and there!
briankonar said:
shame on you for even posting. it's not like the iPod is that great, and it's such a cliche item now that i'm glad i have the original, at least i don't look like a leech.

Wow. What a non-useful, trollish post.

Anyway...I don't see any reason the DJ won't work if you find a way to mount it on the desktop...heck it may even show up in iTunes if ur lucky.

briankonar

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2004
StealthRider said:
Wow. What a non-useful, trollish post.

Anyway...I don't see any reason the DJ won't work if you find a way to mount it on the desktop...heck it may even show up in iTunes if ur lucky.
you might want to read what everyone has wrote before you reply and waste anyones time. or you can get your message count up :p

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Anyways...

I had a cheaper usb mp3 player that worked with iTunes, but I don't think the Dell will be as easy. If it's drag and drop, should work fine. You may want to search for a plug-in, you never know what you might find. If it's just a rebranded samsung or something, you could check to see if that's compatible.

I read a review of the Dell DJ. The author was complaining that it would work right at first. Do a search of reviews, see if they might have a fix. If nothing else, try e-mailing their support or checking their FAQ (unless it says no Mac support), or try Virtual PC. You may need it anyway.

ajcowell

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2004
Supported Player List???

I know at some point there was a supported player list on the apple site. It listed all the players that were know to work. No sign of it now though, I was looking the other day for a specific model of mp3/usb memorystick. Would be nice if someone would start such a list if we can't find one.

I've had luck with most of the players I've tried, apart from ones that have a memory-media docking station kinda deal.

Andrew

davecuse

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2004
NYC
It could work... but don't go buying anything from iTMS, and make sure that you setup iTunes to rip your CDs in MP3 Format not AAC.

I have a Nomad Muvo, it's a sweet little MP3 player I used for the gym... Then one day not thinking too clearly I decided to convert my entire library to AAC. So now I have an expensive paperweight that's not even good at holding down papers... :(

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
davecuse said:
It could work... but don't go buying anything from iTMS, and make sure that you setup iTunes to rip your CDs in MP3 Format not AAC.

I have a Nomad Muvo, it's a sweet little MP3 player I used for the gym... Then one day not thinking too clearly I decided to convert my entire library to AAC. So now I have an expensive paperweight that's not even good at holding down papers... :(

um, can't you convert them back to MP3? i'd rather have a music player even at lower quality than a paperweight...

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
Based on the review of the Dell DJ I read on Tom's Hardware, it doesn't look too good for Mac support. According to their review, you cannot mount the DJ's hard drive on the desktop/in Windows Explorer; rather, you must use Dell's proprietary file-mover software to copy files back and forth. That reduces the Dell DJ's utility as an external drive to absolute zero as far as I'm concerned, even in a Windows-only environment!

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
Silencio said:
Based on the review of the Dell DJ I read on Tom's Hardware, it doesn't look too good for Mac support. According to their review, you cannot mount the DJ's hard drive on the desktop/in Windows Explorer; rather, you must use Dell's proprietary file-mover software to copy files back and forth. That reduces the Dell DJ's utility as an external drive to absolute zero as far as I'm concerned, even in a Windows-only environment!

yikes! thanks for the info though, i'm sure orig. poster will find the information quite relevant.

hulugu

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2003
quae tangit perit Trump
Imbebo

Silencio said:

I'm glad I noticed this, I was about to mention the same thing. Unfortunately, Dell hasn't been very good about making things work for the Macintosh—like their printers—and considering that for all intensive purposes, Dell and Apple are locked in competition, I don't see Dell changing this, nor Apple for that matter. Also, note that there isn't a Macintosh version of Musicmatch so you won't be able to use that without Virtual PC, which may be a solution that lets you use your Dell DJ with your new mac. Otherwise, you can use it with your current computer; or if you don't want to do that, eBay might be a good thing.
Frankly, I'm surprised that you like yours, the guy I know who got his absolutely hated it.
Oh well, good luck with buying a 15" Powerbook, they are absolutely great machines.

davecuse

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2004
NYC
jxyama said:
um, can't you convert them back to MP3? i'd rather have a music player even at lower quality than a paperweight...

I'm sure I could go back to MP3, but eh, I have a 40 gig 3G iPod so I'm not too worried about the 128mb Muvo.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.