Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joshwithachance

macrumors 68010
Dec 11, 2009
$1000 for a tablet is completely and utterly ASININE. I don't give a crap how good it is. Microsoft can go die in a fire for all I care. I'll stick with my $300 iPad mini.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
$1000 for a tablet is completely and utterly ASININE. I don't give a crap how good it is. Microsoft can go die in a fire for all I care. I'll stick with my $300 iPad mini.

lol, it is amazing when people like you miss the point.

Before i say anything, i would like to add that i agree it should be priced somewhat lower, may be $700 with cover included would be nice.

However it is not a tablet that runs a mobile OS. It runs a full blown Windows OS which is what many people will admire.

Sure the battery life is 4 hours, but how long until it jumps to 8, 16 etc after OEMs make advances in their models from this inspiration?

You ipad mini is a mobile OS tablet, this is an actual full use small computer which can turn into a tablet when needed. Learn the difference.

joshwithachance

macrumors 68010
Dec 11, 2009
And you my friend missed the whole point of the surface pro. Congratulations.

I know what the Surface Pro is trying to do. I'm one of the least biased people on this site. The device is all compromise. It's not good enough as a laptop as it can't even really sit on your lap, and it's not portable enough to be a proper tablet. It's just a device that doesn't even need to exist really. The market for it is VERY niche, and pointless really. Enjoy your 3.5 hours of a battery life.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil

Well, if all you want is a low-resolution tablet to watch videos, surf the Internet and read e-mails, than go ahead. The iPad mini is cheaper, lighter and has better battery life.

But if you want to run Office, multitasking and want the power of a real PC in the form of a tablet, then Surface Pro is the way to go, as it trounces iPads and Android tablets on this. It's a completely different product, and don't expect it to behave like an iPad mini.

joshwithachance

macrumors 68010
Dec 11, 2009
Well, if all you want is a low-resolution tablet to watch videos, surf the Internet and read e-mails, than go ahead. The iPad mini is cheaper, lighter and has better battery life.

But if you want to run Office, multitasking and want the power of a real PC in the form of a tablet, then Surface Pro is the way to go, as it trounces iPads and Android tablets on this. It's a completely different product, and don't expect it to behave like an iPad mini.

At the price point of the Pro I'd MUCH rather have a MacBook Air, which makes so much more sense for running Office, multitasking, and actually having the power of a real PC because it is one.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
What do you define as a "power user"?

It's different for everybody. For me:

>128GB SSD
non-ULV Core i5
6-7+ hour battery life
Keyboard/mouse (Lenovo is the reference for keyboards)
Multiple I/O ports

One USB port, one SD card slot, one video out is pretty anemic for a power user. But your definition will be/is different than mine so this is pretty pointless to argue about.

According to my definition, I'm not a power user. My MBA has a ULV CPU.

Oh young one, for most users doing real work, they are not doing it on the go, they might pop it open on a train, or plane, or in a cafe for awhile, when the " real work " happens, its normally in an office, near a plug, so battery life isn't toatlly important.

I miss the days of 60mhz Laptops running Windows 95, with 2 hour battery life ;)

Who are you to say where "real work" is done? Real work is done wherever you are. I don't let environment get in the way. Those were the old days, we have better technology now that enables us to work wherever we please.

Don't Apple "power users" have their macbooks plugged in while at Starbucks anyway?

I don't. I have an Air and I get 7+ hours in Starbucks without an outlet all the time. This is running a VM for coding, iTunes, Mail, Safari with 10+ tabs, Xcode, Terminal, Textedit and Preview with 5+ PDFs. But I'm hardly a power user. This is a normal work day for me (yes, on a Sunday at a Starbucks).

Jealous, I'm out of the country right now, the gf was supposed to pick one up for me after work, which ended up being way too late.

Power users care more about having a Core CPU and access to the x86 ecosystem than ARM/Atom facilitated battery life. Keyboard/mouse is necessary because x86 software relies on it. Actually I think if iOS has shown us anything it's that a keyboard/mouse is necessary for most productivity tasks period since conventional productivity workflow is based on a desktop UI. And the SSD is small but it's workable.

Keyboard/mouse is pretty pathetic on the Surface Pro. The type cover (not the touch one) is workable. The mouse is ... also workable. But why compromise that much? I can get a pretty nice Lenovo/Asus/Acer/HP/etc. ultrabook with a better keyboard and trackpad for far less than $899 (that's the 64GB model). But that is beside the point, I think Surface Pro 2 will be more enticing because costs will go down, hardware will be better/faster and battery life should improve.

You could have easily said that about the iPhone when it was first released. It had terrible battery life compared to other phones at the time, it was overpriced and had barely any storage for an MP3 player, it lacked 3G when plenty of other phones had it, it had no games or apps etc.

The Surface Pro is similar- give it one or two more revisions and your qualms about battery life will be greatly reduced, it'll be faster, most likely lighter, have an app store full of apps, plus full x86 compatibility. It may not be perfect now, but it (and other full x86 tablets) could very well become almost impossible to say no to in the future.

I love the look of it, I'll most likely get one when MS gets around to releasing it here.

I agree. I didn't get the first iPhone, nor the second, nor the third... I got the fourth one. The first iPhone was cool (Surface Pro looks really cool) but functionality was kind of anemic. I think it's a niche product right now given the compromises but maybe the second or third generation might be good enough for me personally.

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I was one of its earlier critics, but after hearing your analysis, I think Microsoft might really be on to something here. It may not be perfect (the ipad1 wasn't either), but it gets the job done and the message across, and provides a blueprint for other manufacturers to follow. :)

This is what I was aiming at before everyone starting being all defensive when I'm not on the offensive.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
I know what the Surface Pro is trying to do. I'm one of the least biased people on this site. The device is all compromise. It's not good enough as a laptop as it can't even really sit on your lap, and it's not portable enough to be a proper tablet. It's just a device that doesn't even need to exist really. The market for it is VERY niche, and pointless really.

Well people generally learn to walk before they run...

It may just be a template for Asus, Samsung etc to make a thinner, sleeker win8 pro tablet with a 10 hour battery life 3 months down the line. I know if that happens, I am buying that in a heartbeat, iPad doesn't even register as a potential choice in my mind.

I want a portable computer that runs everything I want, not a watered down version that still needs a desktop every now and then. The surface pro is showing this should be attempted. And that's just what it is about.

----------

At the price point of the Pro I'd MUCH rather have a MacBook Air, which makes so much more sense for running Office, multitasking, and actually having the power of a real PC because it is one.

If the air comes with a detachable keyboard, sure I would buy one then.

joshwithachance

macrumors 68010
Dec 11, 2009
Well people generally learn to walk before they run...

It may just be a template for Asus, Samsung etc to make a thinner, sleeker win8 pro tablet with a 10 hour battery life 3 months down the line. I know if that happens, I am buying that in a heartbeat, iPad doesn't even register as a potential choice in my mind.

I want a portable computer that runs everything I want, not a watered down version that still needs a desktop every now and then. The surface pro is showing this should be attempted. And that's just what it is about.

Now THIS makes sense. The Surface Pro as it is now is just not good enough. Hopefully in the coming years the concept gets manifested properly, but until then I like my iMac and iPad mini combo.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil

Not necessarily. The Surface Pro is also a real PC, and has the same processor as a MacBook Air, and the same amount of RAM.

In addition, the Surface Pro has a much higher resolution than the MacBook Air, and a better screen overall. It also runs Windows 8, and Office 2013 for Windows is way better than Office 2011 for Mac. Of course you can always run Windows on BootCamp or on a virtual machine, but then you have to pay for an extra Windows license.

laserfox

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2008
new york

The Surface Pro has the same processing power of the MacBook air so I don't get your point...

Not to mention the surface pro has the added benefits of a touch screen, higher screen resolution, sd card expandable, pressure sensitive pen etc.

You say the Surface pro fails because it cant be used in your lap and I can say the MacBook air fails because I cant un-snap the keyboard and use it as a couch surfing tablet...get my point?

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Said it in the other thread, but I'll bring it in here too. I am planning on picking up one of these for testing purposes at work. I got some hands on time with the demo model and I think it is a device that has some potential. That said, what a cluster of a launch. Our local BB and Staples got a total of ONE 64 gig model between them. Can't order online, and can't back order. Awesome launch strategy.

The big issues I see still missing are Win 8's inability to scale smoothly at this pixel density, and how badly it handles switching from an external monitor to a stand-alone device. They really should have solved the scaling issues and released this with an option of a quality docking station capable of driving two monitors while still being capable of being undocked at a moments notice.

Still hopeful to get my hands on one sooner than later.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009

Different strokes, you know? For the price point I'd MUCH rather have a surface Pro than a MacBook air. Same battery life, but I get my Wacom digitizer, better screen/resolution and the option to use it as a tablet. I don't get what makes the MacBook air have "the power of a real PC" because the surface Pro has a similar CPU/RAM/HD space, etc.

----------

Ouch, way to miss the point. :(

----------

Now THIS makes sense. The Surface Pro as it is now is just not good enough. Hopefully in the coming years the concept gets manifested properly, but until then I like my iMac and iPad mini combo.

Definitely!! Some of us are just early adopters, I couldn't resist buying the Pro as it will replace my MacBook air, overall specs are the same so it will just function as a laptop mainly for me. 3 months is not reasonable though, Haswell should be in tablets by next holiday season and I'd rather not wait a year.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
It's different for everybody. For me:

>128GB SSD
non-ULV Core i5
6-7+ hour battery life
Keyboard/mouse (Lenovo is the reference for keyboards)
Multiple I/O ports

One USB port, one SD card slot, one video out is pretty anemic for a power user. But your definition will be/is different than mine so this is pretty pointless to argue about.

According to my definition, I'm not a power user. My MBA has a ULV CPU.

You've kind of just posted the specs that you think a "power user" would require but i'm more interested in your actual definition of what or who a power user is and what tasks they would be performing.

I would argue that tasks being performed is more representative of a power user.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
You say the Surface pro fails because it cant be used in your lap and I can say the MacBook air fails because I cant un-snap the keyboard and use it as a couch surfing tablet...get my point?

Yep, it all boils down to an individual users needs. I try not to generalize and project MY needs onto other people (although I'm only human and am sure I fail at it sometimes). That's precisely the reason I sold my MacBook Air, it had no option to make it into a tablet.

----------

Congrats and thanks for sharing. Wish I could "touch" one outside US. Really would like to compare. Guess we have to wait.

Do you have by chance a USB3 disk and check see how fast it goes ? I wonder if that would be a good alternative for some use cases.

Is a regular BT keyboard & mouse possible to use ?

Can you make me a picture of the power connector; is that a fragile one (like Sony often do) or a more robust one (i know, slightly stupid request)

I don't have any usb 3.0 peripherals :( Yes a BT kb and mouse can be used, anything that you can use on a regular Bluetooth enabled PC you can do here. The power connector is VERY strong, that would be the last of my concerns.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
I don't have any usb 3.0 peripherals :( Yes a BT kb and mouse can be used, anything that you can use on a regular Bluetooth enabled PC you can do here. The power connector is VERY strong, that would be the last of my concerns.

Thanks; now I only have weeks to wait until they start international sales. I'm kind of really interested in a Surface Pro.
Enjoy !

mackinmike

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2012

the surface pro is made to be a real business device and has the option to be a tablet. ipads are just made to consume data... video, surf, etc. if you want to conduct business on an ipad, good luck. wake me up when you can attach office docs to that email you're composing.

macbook air is a laptop but doesn't have the option to be a tablet to casually consume data.

i think you're missing the point of a device that provides two functions in one. i rather have one device than carrying a macbook and an ipad.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Glad you like it OP, but for me, there are too many shortcomings. Short battery life, too expensive, not enough storage.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Thanks for sharing those pics Spinedoc. The Surface Pro looks pretty sweet. :cool:

What size screen is it?

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
How are you expecting tablets running windows and intel processors to exceed 5 hours of battery life, baring putting in a bigger battery? The ipad is able to manage 10 hours because it uses a mobile OS and arm processors.

The laptops I have experience with average 4-5 hours max on light usage. :confused:

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
Different strokes, you know? For the price point I'd MUCH rather have a surface Pro than a MacBook air. Same battery life, but I get my Wacom digitizer, better screen/resolution and the option to use it as a tablet. I don't get what makes the MacBook air have "the power of a real PC" because the surface Pro has a similar CPU/RAM/HD space, etc.

Agreed.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
i think you're missing the point of a device that provides two functions in one. i rather have one device than carrying a macbook and an ipad.

I think you're missing the point.

Many people in this thread are making the argument that the Surface Pro is compromising both the tablet experience and laptop experience to such a point that they would prefer these functions be handled by two different devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.