Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Outkast27

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
Earf
I would like to combine my mbpr into my home stereo. One of the questions I have is, can I get 5.1 surround sound out of my mac? If so will it come out the 3.5/optical out? or the usb? If I get a usb dac will I need a 5.1 channel dac? same question for the 3.5mm/optical out.

unfrostedpoptar

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2010
I would like to combine my mbpr into my home stereo. One of the questions I have is, can I get 5.1 surround sound out of my mac? If so will it come out the 3.5/optical out?
Yes

or the usb?
Yes, if you buy a USB sound card / DAC. Why would you do this if your home theater has an optical input? This route would cost a lot more and require a receiver with 6 analog inputs (lf, rf, ls, rs, lfe, center).
I do this with an old DVD/SACD/DVD-A player from pre-HMDI days but almost no receivers made today will have these inputs.

If I get a usb dac will I need a 5.1 channel dac?
See above.

same question for the 3.5mm/optical out.
See above.

The big question is what inputs does your receiver have? Optical digital? Coax Digital? HDMI? 6-channel analog?

Outkast27

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
Earf
As of now my preamp only has rcas in. Im looking to upgrade it. Im also collecting this info so I know what to look for in a preamp as far as inputs.

unfrostedpoptar

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2010
As of now my preamp only has rcas in. Im looking to upgrade it. Im also collecting this info so I know what to look for in a preamp as far as inputs.

If you just want audio, just use optical through the headphone/digital-out jack on the rMBP. I'm listening right now that way.

If you want video also, use HDMI with a TB->HDMI adapter on the rMBP.

Any new AV receiver should have both of these inputs.

Outkast27

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
Earf
If you just want audio, just use optical through the headphone/digital-out jack on the rMBP. I'm listening right now that way.

If you want video also, use HDMI with a TB->HDMI adapter on the rMBP.

Any new AV receiver should have both of these inputs.

Im going to try that when I decide what preamp to upgrade to. How does it sound to you? What is your stereo setup? Just curious.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.