Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

omnimoeish

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2010
What? Maybe I just didn't feel like typing an exhaustive list of everything I do on a phone. I certainly need to reach everywhere on the screen quite regularly. The URL bar and generic "back link" in most apps are at the top of the screen. And those are critical to app use.

You do make an interesting observation though. If there were literally no touch interaction points outside of my thumb arc, because the top and sides were 100% exclusive content-only, the screen could actually be much larger and still 1 hand operable. Assuming it wasn't too big to grip securely. But current iOS has me quite regularly touching all 4 corners of the screen.

Interesting. I guess web browsing is slightly easier one handed with a smaller screen since the url bar is at the top. The back link on Android phones is actually at the bottom and the fact that you can use swype keyboard, plus the fact that the screen size is bigger making key registration more accurate actually means I can use my Galaxy S4 for one handed texting (what I do 99% of the time) easier than any iPhone.

What people may not realize is that a Galaxy S4 with a 5" screen is less than 1/2" wider than the 4" iPhone (about the width of the end of your pinky), and considering you only need to reach that far when you're at the very other end of the keyboard, most of the time the extra stretching involved in texting is much less than that. That extra 0.4" or so gives you about 25% more screen real estate. Definitely worth it. Once I went to a 5" screen my old phone seemed like utter *****.

got tired of my wife with her 3GS always stealing my phone to play games on so I got her a Galaxy S3 for her birthday.

Personally I think 5" 1080p is the sweet spot where I can easily one hand text and it's the right resolution and PPI to play all full HD content natively.

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
I really like my 5.3" phone yet I also like the idea of a 3.5" smartphone because it's easier to handle. However, since I use my phone as a mini tablet as well the larger size works well so I can just have one device that does phone and tablet functions. I do believe at least one company should have a smaller size smartphone along with a larger screen.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Apple said that 3.5" was the perfect size and then later allowed a tiny amount of expansion to 4" with that said, I suppose they will probably introduce a little larger screen, but I don't know why they are wasting the investment. They could come out with a new color and people would go nuts and line-up over it.

jlabute

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2014
not an oxymoron

A Tiny Mini....isn't that an oxymoron? :D
Or would that be considered an iPhone Nano. :)

Big Shrimp would be an oxymoron. Tiny Mini is a pleonasm (like anonymous stranger). I wonder if Bad Apple could be a pleonasm? lol. Naaa... I like apple.

J

Lifes

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2010
I think I speak for everyone here that Apple should not get rid of 4” altogether. All I’m saying is that we should have options. I believe that 3 sizes could co-exist at any given time. Look at the iPad mini and iPad Air. Other than physical size and a very minor cpu attributes there’s not much difference between the 2. Also compare that to the Note 3 and the Galaxy S4; both have 1920x1080 displays and similar processors yet one is 5.0” and the other is 5.7”. Why can’t Apple do the same with a 4”, 4.7” and 5.5” iPhone? I would even live with 4” and 4.7”.
Don’t blame people for wanting a larger device? Blame Apple for not making choices.

Totally agree. Two more options in screens sizes like 4" and 4.7", 5.5" will be fine. I didn't want to blame anybody.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
As a user of a Samsung Galaxy S III with its 4.8" screen, trying to use an iPhone 5S with its somewhat weird 4.0" screen can be a bit annoying, especially trying to read Twitter and Facebook postings or SMS messages in portrait mode. No wonder why many users are abandoning the iPhone in favor of the larger-screen Android phones.

As such, Apple going to a 4.7" and 5.5" (diagonal) size for the iPhone 6 models does not surprise me. Thanks to an all-new case design (which will likely have a touchscreen display with almost no bezels), even the iPhone 6 won't be physically much bigger than the iPhone 5S, but offer all the advantages of the larger display.

Anyway, with the iPhone now eliminating its biggest disadvantage--screen size--I expect sales of the new model to be extraordinarily strong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.