Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zoofa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2023
I got a macbook air mid 2011 that's running linux and I love the form factor and everything about it but it only has 4gb of ram and that's a small problem for me these days. I was wondering if I could upgrade the logic board to something with 8gb of ram. If I'm correct I could easily change the logic board with the 2012 model without having issues with other hardware. I thought the 2013 to 2017 models are also replaceable with each other but could I get one of these models and get the logic board into my 2011 model and should I? Even if it's possible is there such a big jump from a 2012 model to let's say a 2015 model to pick that one over a 2012 model?

ApolloBoy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2015
San Jose, CA
You might be better off just getting an 8 GB 2015 model honestly (or 2017 if you find one cheap), those have USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt 2 plus they have much faster PCIe SSDs. They go for pretty cheap these days and can be easily upgraded with a modern NVMe M.2 SSD if you're concerned about storage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.