Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

raptorhigh

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 3, 2003
Hey guys,

I am considering swapping the drive in my tibook from the 40Gb to either a 5400 or 7200rpm 60Gb from newegg. So when I take out the old drive I want to put it in an enclosure like this. So will I be able to access this drive immediately with out any formatting?

In a perfect scenario I would like to swap the drives, put the old one in the enclosure, and copy my docs and music over to the new one. I will be doing a fresh install on the new drive, so I won't need to copy the whole drive or anything.

Thanks in advance!

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
My advice is to put the new drive into the enclosure, hook it up to the PowerBook and format it using Disk Utility. Then copy everything you'd like onto the new drive from the old one (with Carbon Copy Cloner), installing OSX onto it first if that's what you'd prefer (thought it's hardly necessary since CCC can also duplicate the OS painlessly). Then swap the drives. I recently performed a drivectomy on my Cube using this procedure and it worked flawlessly.

hanq

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2003
IJ Reilly said:
My advice is to put the new drive into the enclosure, hook it up to the PowerBook and format it using Disk Utility. Then copy everything you'd like onto the new drive from the old one (with Carbon Copy Cloner), installing OSX onto it first if that's what you'd prefer (thought it's hardly necessary since CCC can also duplicate the OS painlessly). Then swap the drives. I recently performed a drivectomy on my Cube using this procedure and it worked flawlessly.
why couldn't i think of that... i put a new hardrive i got for my ibook right away and and had to install the os without all my personal settings. good advice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.