Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

erdinc27

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
i want to extend UIColor. But when i call the method then i get error. Here how i extend

Code:
import Foundation
import UIKit

extension UIColor {

func theMainColor() -> UIColor {

return UIColor(red: 224, green: 0, blue: 30, alpha: 1.0)
    }
}

and how i call it
Code:
self.view.backgroundColor = UIColor.theMainColor()

but here it wants me to enter a parameter.

Am i doing something wrong ?

PhoneyDeveloper

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2008
Few other comments. There are a number of UIColor extensions on github that one might want to use or look at.

There are some questions I have about the best way to implement these UIColor extensions that I always have in every app. In Objective-C you can have function-scope static variables so the app only ever needs to build a single instance of your UIColor objects. There are no such function-scope statics in swift. In swift you can have file-scope let constants, which gives you a similar kind of constant. In the code shown above the method is building a new UIColor object every time it's called, which maybe isn't a terrible thing but seems slightly wasteful.

I haven't dug into this very deeply and I wonder what the best way to implement these UIColor extensions is in swift. I'm currently doing it like this

Code:
private let mainColor = UIColor(red: 224, green: 0, blue: 30, alpha: 1.0)
class func theMainColor() -> UIColor {
        return mainColor
}

However, if you've got a library of colors and a given app will only ever use a few of them it also seems wasteful to have private let constants for all the colors.

(There's also a way of having a private struct inside the class in order to have class variables but that seemed too goofy to me.)

Comments?

erdinc27

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
Few other comments. There are a number of UIColor extensions on github that one might want to use or look at.

There are some questions I have about the best way to implement these UIColor extensions that I always have in every app. In Objective-C you can have function-scope static variables so the app only ever needs to build a single instance of your UIColor objects. There are no such function-scope statics in swift. In swift you can have file-scope let constants, which gives you a similar kind of constant. In the code shown above the method is building a new UIColor object every time it's called, which maybe isn't a terrible thing but seems slightly wasteful.

I haven't dug into this very deeply and I wonder what the best way to implement these UIColor extensions is in swift. I'm currently doing it like this

Code:
private let mainColor = UIColor(red: 224, green: 0, blue: 30, alpha: 1.0)
class func theMainColor() -> UIColor {
        return mainColor
}

However, if you've got a library of colors and a given app will only ever use a few of them it also seems wasteful to have private let constants for all the colors.

(There's also a way of having a private struct inside the class in order to have class variables but that seemed too goofy to me.)

Comments?

Actually i have done the same way u shared the code. But if i learn better way then i will share it here for sure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.