Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Keukasmallie

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2011
WNY
Swiss Army Knife Tinker is my knife of choice

I've carried this knife for years and use it almost daily. From opening mail to tightening screws here and there, the SAK is an indispensable tool.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
I have one at my desk, but I'm pretty sure the police would consider me armed if I stepped outside with it.

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
Since I turn 30 this month I got myself a present, something I've wanted for a couple years now and it just arrived tonight - a solid sterling silver Swiss Army knife:

12354936754_0637981783_c.jpg

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Since I turn 30 this month I got myself a present, something I've wanted for a couple years now and it just arrived tonight - a solid sterling silver Swiss Army knife:

Congratulations.

It looks absolutely beautiful (is this a special edition product, or one you can order?)

Now for a form and function question: Are the blades (as well as the body) made from silver, and, if so, how well do they cut, slice or sever something? Or, rather, is the future destiny of the knife one where it will be admired rather than used?

Last edited:

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado

Attachments

• Screen shot 2014-02-07 at 6.24.45 AM.png
    Screen shot 2014-02-07 at 6.24.45 AM.png
    111.8 KB · Views: 150

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
Congratulations.

It looks absolutely beautiful (is this a special edition product, or one you can order?)

Now for a form and function question: Are the blades (as well as the body) made from silver, and, if so, how well do they cut, slice or sever something? Or, rather, is the future destiny of the knife one where it will be admired rather than used?

Thanks, the blades themselves are the usual Victorinox stainless so they work pretty well, like any other Swiss Army Knife. That said, this one will most likely just be admired as a trinket, I've got all those other plastic ones I can use. This one isn't a special edition, it's one they typically carry. They actually have numerous variants of the sterling silver one (this one, a hammered one, a barley corn one, and then several pretty intricate ones like a Japanese wave scene and a few others that are $$$). The retail from Victorinox direct is $240 for this one, but it can be had online for $150 from various authorized retailers, which is the route I went.

Haha, I saw that one, it looked a little odd to me to just slap a gold sheet in the middle of the knife and getting rid of the shield.:)

ejb190

macrumors 65816
That's a beautiful knife, puma1552! I've always had a fondness for the Victorinox knives.

I have a Super Tinker, several Victorinox single bevel grafting knifes, one of the older Gerber sliding multi-tools, a Stihl folding pruning saw, Felco #12 pruners, a Fiskers hatchet (love this thing!), a couple of draw knives (4" and 12"), and a horihori (a Japanese soil knife - wonderful for prying bark off trees). And this is just what I carry in my work vehicle. (Should I mention the shovel?)

I have an older SAK that I loved, but I broke the main blade. It has something like a Model T on the side of it and I've never been able to ID it. Got it for Christmas YEARS ago.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Thanks, the blades themselves are the usual Victorinox stainless so they work pretty well, like any other Swiss Army Knife. That said, this one will most likely just be admired as a trinket, I've got all those other plastic ones I can use. This one isn't a special edition, it's one they typically carry. They actually have numerous variants of the sterling silver one (this one, a hammered one, a barley corn one, and then several pretty intricate ones like a Japanese wave scene and a few others that are $$$). The retail from Victorinox direct is $240 for this one, but it can be had online for $150 from various authorized retailers, which is the route I went.

Haha, I saw that one, it looked a little odd to me to just slap a gold sheet in the middle of the knife and getting rid of the shield.:)

Ah, thank you for your response; that explains it (and makes a lot more sense to have the blades stainless steel). Well, I hope you long enjoy your beautiful knives - a most elegant gift to yourself.

Last edited:

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
Bumping this again, my collection of classics has grown to where as of this morning after picking up the pink one, I have all of the currently produced colors of the solid cellidor (plastic) handle models. My silver one is a little tarnished, but no big deal. Happened once before and found a nice way online to put it in a boiling pot of water with aluminum foil and baking soda to restore the silver without actually losing any silver, did that once and it worked perfectly so I'll do that again at some point.

There are a ton of retired colors out there, I have a new in box taupe one being delivered next week as well.

22914775954_1b3b0b1309_b.jpg

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
^^^I haven't quite been able to get into the alox (metal) handles, but most people prefer them. I did get tempted to try one out the other day, but I figured I'd work on trying to round up as many of the retired cellidor ones as I can first.

My wife is disgusted by my new harmless hobby, lol.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
^^^I haven't quite been able to get into the alox (metal) handles, but most people prefer them. I did get tempted to try one out the other day, but I figured I'd work on trying to round up as many of the retired cellidor ones as I can first.

My wife is disgusted by my new harmless hobby, lol.

Not a fan of alox either, but I do like this flash drive. I get a lot comments about it and the bright orange color means it is easy to find in a cluttered drawer.

You have a great collection.:D

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
thanks, and that is by far the best way to carry a flash drive if you need to do so.

the one color my collection is truly missing is orange, but it's retired (they do make a translucent orange but the solid has been retired). i found a site that lists it as a retired knife, but for all their retired ones you have to contact to see if they are available, so i sent an email a little while ago.

I've almost been tempted to just say screw it and rock the sterling silver one on my keychain and not worry about it getting scratched up, but i love the mini champ i currently have on there - it would be tough to give up the ball point pen and the bottle opener on the mini champ, both of those tools have saved me many times in a pinch when out and about, especially the pen. plus i lose the toothpick and tweezers with the silver one, not that those are huge losses though.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
thanks, and that is by far the best way to carry a flash drive if you need to do so.

the one color my collection is truly missing is orange, but it's retired (they do make a translucent orange but the solid has been retired). i found a site that lists it as a retired knife, but for all their retired ones you have to contact to see if they are available, so i sent an email a little while ago.

I've almost been tempted to just say screw it and rock the sterling silver one on my keychain and not worry about it getting scratched up, but i love the mini champ i currently have on there - it would be tough to give up the ball point pen and the bottle opener on the mini champ, both of those tools have saved me many times in a pinch when out and about, especially the pen. plus i lose the toothpick and tweezers with the silver one, not that those are huge losses though.
The only appropriate action is to acquire another silver one for the keychain, keeping the one you have for collecting purposes. Wouldn't be the first time I've heard of "one to kill, one to keep". Just sayin'.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
While not technically a knife, I picked this up a while ago. It is 8GB, not the 4GB in the picture.

View attachment 604013

Yes, I spotted one of those some years ago when I was in the Caucasus.

And must admit I was tempted to buy it.

Actually, while I may be in a minority, I have found both the toothpick and the tweezers to have extraordinarily useful on occasion. Invaluable, at times, as is the small scissors.

The only appropriate action is to acquire another silver one for the keychain, keeping the one you have for collecting purposes. Wouldn't be the first time I've heard of "one to kill, one to keep". Just sayin'.

Ah, the voice of temptation seductively cloaked in reason.

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
Retired taupe one arrived last night, I like it quite a bit - it's a bit darker than the ebay pics showed, which was a pleasant surprise, really more of a mocha color:

23038528783_7a24bcea28_b.jpg

23369921160_755426bc09_b.jpg

I also ordered a retired forest green one which should be here Tuesday; it's lighter/brighter than the hunter green one I currently have.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Retired taupe one arrived last night, I like it quite a bit - it's a bit darker than the ebay pics showed, which was a pleasant surprise, really more of a mocha color:

23038528783_7a24bcea28_b.jpg

23369921160_755426bc09_b.jpg

I also ordered a retired forest green one which should be here Tuesday; it's lighter/brighter than the hunter green one I currently have.

Enjoy them. Above all, make sure you use them. They are something I have long found to have been extraordinarily useful on foreign trips (and even at home).

Reactions: puma1552

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I too have the Tinker. Attached to my car keys. No need for the fancy bells-&-whistles of the other ones.... More gadgets than a kitchen sink.

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
Since you are collecting the classic, I thought you might find this interesting.

http://www.swissarmy.com/us/en/Prod...lassic-Alox-Limited-Edition-2015/p/0.6221.L15

View attachment 604991

I saw that - I wish they would do the same with the cellidor handles.

They do make (or used to?) a smooth handle alox, those are actually pretty nice. I guess it's called the Companion when it has the smooth handles. Just not a huge fan of being able to see the pins that hold the scales on.

show_image.php

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.