Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bogg

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2005
Sweden
Actually, that was the TAG CEO mocking Apple's ID team. And, from just a pure physical shape perspective, I'd agree. There's nothing special about the design. The technical integration... now that's another story.

Yes, and the poster referencing that quote is in turn mocking TAGs CEO by doing a ripoff of his comment and posting it regarding this swiss high street watch with a price tag of $25000. As it shares a lot of design cues. I know where the quote come from, but the poster in the first few posts in this thread is obviously making fun of Tag as this time around it's a designer watch that looks basically the same...

SteveW928

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2010
Victoria, B.C. Canada
Yes, and the poster referencing that quote is in turn mocking TAGs CEO by doing a ripoff of his comment and posting it regarding this swiss high street watch with a price tag of $25000. As it shares a lot of design cues. I know where the quote come from, but the poster in the first few posts in this thread is obviously making fun of Tag as this time around it's a designer watch that looks basically the same...

Sorry, I missed that I guess. :)

igorsky

Suspended
Mar 9, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
And, I guess I'd agree, as I've yet to see any good use for an Apple Watch, and if you're buying it for style, this is more beautiful (though not the style I'd pick if I *were* to consider wearing a watch again.... which I'm not).

You know this is the second time I've seen someone write that the Alp Watch is "more beautiful" than the Apple Watch and I still don't know if you guys are trying to be funny or not...I mean just look at the attached image. Frankly it's hard to tell them apart.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 113

SteveW928

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2010
Victoria, B.C. Canada
You know this is the second time I've seen someone write that the Alp Watch is "more beautiful" than the Apple Watch and I still don't know if you guys are trying to be funny or not...I mean just look at the attached image. Frankly it's hard to tell them apart.

Actually, I'm not joking. :) I guess it's somewhat subjective, but aside from the band-attachment and crown, I think it's a better looking watch. Part of it is the band, while I like a lot, so I guess you could add that to the Apple Watch. But, the real face with the 'pearl' or gradient type look is quite nice too. I suppose you could simulate that on the Apple Watch. And, from the back... well, I just love the mechanics. :)

And, unless I could find a use for an Apple Watch, if I were to buy a watch, it would be more for the jewelry or time-telling aspects. That said, I have no plans to buy either.

mingoglia

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2009
I wonder if they'll manage to sell all 50 that they make.

Costs more than Apple's high end watch.
Doesn't do as much as the Apple Watch.
Not as well known a brand as Apple.
Copies Apple Watch style.

It's like a typical knockoff except they want to charge more for it than one would have to pay for the real deal.

Will be a timeless mechanical timepiece that can be handed down through generations decades to come. Can be tuned and refreshed by watchmakers when necessary throughout the years. Contrast this to an Apple Watch which like a iphone/ipod, will be complete obsolete after a couple of revisions. I own an Apple watch, as well as a Breitling Bentley Motors and two Rolex Submariners. I'll pay $500 for an Apple watch, but not a dollar more no matter how much gold and bling. It will be obsolete soon. Where my Breitling, which I spent just shy of $10k for, or my two Rolexes which were in the $5k range are truly is a mechanical engineering marvel I can't wait to hand down to my kids, and their kids. Apple Watch is disposable and will be dusty and tossed in a drawer within a couple years.

kdarling

macrumors P6

No doubt that in person the difference is very obvious.

One is an extremely rare, handmade watch, from a family of watchmakers going back to the 1800s, using a movement designed and manufactured in-house that is visible in motion from the transparent back, with a beautifully made watch face with real 3D moving hands.

The other is made by the millions by robots in China, and only poses as a real watch via electronics and an OLED screen. It's similar to comparing an Android smartwatch displaying a famous watch face, with an actual watch.

Last edited:
Reactions: SirCheese

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
Will be a timeless mechanical timepiece that can be handed down through generations decades to come. Can be tuned and refreshed by watchmakers when necessary throughout the years. Contrast this to an Apple Watch which like a iphone/ipod, will be complete obsolete after a couple of revisions. I own an Apple watch, as well as a Breitling Bentley Motors and two Rolex Submariners. I'll pay $500 for an Apple watch, but not a dollar more no matter how much gold and bling. It will be obsolete soon. Where my Breitling, which I spent just shy of $10k for, or my two Rolexes which were in the $5k range are truly is a mechanical engineering marvel I can't wait to hand down to my kids, and their kids. Apple Watch is disposable and will be dusty and tossed in a drawer within a couple years.

From an apparent watch collector I find the comment, 'Apple Watch is disposable and will be dusty and tossed in a drawer within a couple years' somewhat surprising.
I don't have one, but imho an Apple watch (especially a first edition) worn occasionally, very well looked after and retained with the original box will be a great heirloom to hand-down to future generations.
I know that my son would be delighted with a 'vintage' Apple watch so described, and would cherish it as much as my Blancpain, JLC, Omegas, IWC's, etc. Of course value-wise there is no comparison, but that isn't what family heirlooms are all about. I cherish a beat-up Timex with $5 metal bracelet which I believe was the only watch my father ever had. Sure is a bit dusty, but far from 'disposable'. Monetary value probably next to nothing, True value, 'Priceless' as how can one quantify sentiment.

easheer

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2010
While the movement is nice, if I'm paying $24k for a watch, it's going to be on a Lange or Patek, not an AW clone.

SteveW928

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2010
Victoria, B.C. Canada
From an apparent watch collector I find the comment, 'Apple Watch is disposable and will be dusty and tossed in a drawer within a couple years' somewhat surprising.
I don't have one, but imho an Apple watch (especially a first edition) worn occasionally, very well looked after and retained with the original box will be a great heirloom to hand-down to future generations.

Would you cherish a digital watch with a dead battery? The problem is that after a few years, it's going to be useless software-wise. You'll have to upgrade to Apple Watch 2 or 3 or whatever to use the modern apps, or possibly even be compatible with your phone so it can have it's accuracy. Even if the battery still works, without the link to the phone, it's useless unless you like the look of the jewelry aspect with a dark (or useless) display.

In other words... you'll cherish it about as much as an original iPhone is cherished.

Reactions: SirCheese

kdarling

macrumors P6
In other words... you'll cherish it about as much as an original iPhone is cherished.

Or as much as a digital watch from the 1980s. Or a cassette tape player. Or a video disc player.

Heck, it wouldn't be surprising if within ten years, there wasn't even a modern smartphone of the time that could communicate with today's smartwatches.

Reactions: SteveW928

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
Or as much as a digital watch from the 1980s. Or a cassette tape player. Or a video disc player.

Heck, it wouldn't be surprising if within ten years, there wasn't even a modern smartphone of the time that could communicate with today's smartwatches.

Would you cherish a digital watch with a dead battery? The problem is that after a few years, it's going to be useless software-wise. You'll have to upgrade to Apple Watch 2 or 3 or whatever to use the modern apps, or possibly even be compatible with your phone so it can have it's accuracy. Even if the battery still works, without the link to the phone, it's useless unless you like the look of the jewelry aspect with a dark (or useless) display.

A few interesting statements above. Namely:-
"Would you cherish a digital watch with a dead battery?"
Speaking for myself, Oh yes, very much so! Which may put me in the category of an eccentric watch collector, and if that be the case, "so be it". Which reminds me I have 3 very sought-after vintage electronic watches (Omega 'Lobster' Speedsonic; Omega f2.4MHz Marine Chronometer; and Accutron Gold Spaceview) which require battery changes about every 18 months, and as they are not given regular wrist time, I sometimes over-look that battery requirement until I wish to give them a week or so of proud wrist-time. Are they cherished? My God, aren't they just!
And ironically enough, although I don't have a carry iPhone, after a long patient search I eventually found and purchased last year an original iPhone 1st Gen., mint in the box. Also very much cherished.

SteveW928

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2010
Victoria, B.C. Canada
A few interesting statements above. Namely:-
"Would you cherish a digital watch with a dead battery?"
Speaking for myself, Oh yes, very much so! Which may put me in the category of an eccentric watch collector, and if that be the case, "so be it". Which reminds me I have 3 very sought-after vintage electronic watches (Omega 'Lobster' Speedsonic; Omega f2.4MHz Marine Chronometer; and Accutron Gold Spaceview) which require battery changes about every 18 months, and as they are not given regular wrist time, I sometimes over-look that battery requirement until I wish to give them a week or so of proud wrist-time. Are they cherished? My God, aren't they just!
And ironically enough, although I don't have a carry iPhone, after a long patient search I eventually found and purchased last year an original iPhone 1st Gen., mint in the box. Also very much cherished.

I suppose, yes, there are just collectors for collection sake. I guess I/we were talking more about people who collect and actually use. It won't just be like putting a new battery in with the Apple Watch, it will simply be useless outside of it's history museum nature after a few years. When you put a new battery in an old watch, it would still function if you want to use it as a watch, instead of a collection piece. Your grandkids could still wear it to tell the time and as a piece of jewelry. Your grandkids could only wear the Apple Watch as a piece of jewelry... but an odd non-functional one.

KnighsTalker

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2009
In the Web
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. However, wasn't the Apple Watch an imitation of high end mechanical watches. If so, isn't the H. Moser & Cie. watch an imitation of an imitation? I'm sorry but this whole quandary makes me feel kind of imitimidated!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.